Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Oh, and I can tell you all that I had an unbelievably brilliant repair done on my ELC RW B3 by Kelly at AL. The collar had torn right through (!!!!!).
But Alexander Leathers rode to the rescue and saved my jacket and did a sublime job. I couldn't be happier with them. I'll post the before-and-after photos in a separate thread when I get the chance - you'll see what I mean !

How come you didn't send it back to Eastman for repair ?

Plumbline

One Too Many
Does anyone have an Alexander Long Rider? I wish I would see how it looks on someone. Not sure if it would be something I like as I haven't been into longer leather jackets. Maybe it only looks long. It is 29 back length.

I have one in Heavy Grainy Steer .. it's REALLY HEAVY Grainy Steer ( definately not a summer jacket)

Fit's true to size and pics posted previously ( I'm sure someone more IT savy than me can repost them .... nice jacket and the length isn't an issue at all so long as you don't mind Barnstormer type, Long Halfbalt or Car Coat length jackets.

Next mod will be a modification of the removable fur collar ( which is bulky to wear) .... I have a much simpler design in mind much more akin to the old Schott design.

Stand By

One Too Many
How come you didn't send it back to Eastman for repair ?

Hello Hpalapdog,
As I shall relate in full when I get to composing the thread, the first thing I did was to call Gary at ELC. I sent photos of the horrendous tear - and I said that what I really wanted, rather than simply sewing the tear up and patching it, was to have the straps and buckles removed and the entire back of the collar covered with two pieces of horsehide - to reinforce it and thus prevent this from happening again ... and thus keep the character of the jacket.
Gary said it could be done that way - but he didn't recommend it as, he felt that it wouldn't be as good as simply replacing the entire collar - and he said that this would obviously give me a collar with a distinctly different tone to the rest of the jacket, but it would settle in over time ... (Hmm. By that he means years!).
That option didn't appeal to me at all ...
So I asked him for two pieces of matching redskin HH leather and a spool of the correct OD thread for the RW spec. jacket and I'd sort it myself - and he very kindly obliged and sent me two nice pieces of HH, cut perfectly to shape. And the thread, all with his compliments. Thanks Gary!

So I went online and looked all over the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) here for someone who could do the job well and, after some researching, found a company that made coats. They had great reviews and, from the photos I sent them with my inquiry, they seemed up for the job ... which was great as it's some cabbage to send a B3 via air mail to the UK and back.
But then they saw it in person - and they seemed to balk a bit. They said "Er, we can have a go, sure, but ideally it'd better to give the job to someone who makes the jacket" ...
Uh-oh. Not exactly what you'd call "brimming with confidence" with that response. And I love my B3 waaay too much to take a chance ...

And so I was left high and dry ... winter had started that very week - and my B3 was completely buggered and out of action. Unbelievable.

And then, the next week and completely out of the blue, my pal in Northampton pings me and says he's coming to Toronto on business for a week and can we get together for a few beers ?!?!
And I asked him if he had enough luggage allowance to take my B3 back to the UK with him - and he said as he was flying Business Class, he did!!! So suddenly that was an option! I could NOT believe my luck !!!

And I'd just had my ANJ-3 made by Will and Amanda and Edith at Aero (as they hd been then) and had really enjoyed the customer relations aspect of working with them - and Kelly had made my C3 and had done a wonderful job. She's also altered my ELC C3 in the past too (she'd taken it in. They do run a bit big. And you'd NEVER know it had been altered at all) and so I felt 100% confident that she could do the repair as I wanted it to be done .... and as Kelly was there at AL too, it was a no-brainer to me.
So they got the job - and the repair is incredible. 100%.
And that's how it happened. I'll show you as soon as I can ....

Will015

Familiar Face
Alexander Leathers just finished a C-3 vest for me and I'm super excited even though it's the middle of summer. About how long did shipping take for those of you stateside? I'll try to post pics when it arrives though I'm not much for putting my ugly mug on the internet.

pauleway

Practically Family
Alexander Leathers just finished a C-3 vest for me and I'm super excited even though it's the middle of summer. About how long did shipping take for those of you stateside? I'll try to post pics when it arrives though I'm not much for putting my ugly mug on the internet.

Took mine apprx. 4days!

winterland1

Practically Family
Ok I took the plunge and have an Alexander Leathers Roadster coming soon. Smooth black steerhide. Hoping for a good fit.
al_0045.jpg
al_0056.jpg
al_0057.jpg
al_0046.jpg

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
The Alexander sale prices right now are an amazing deal in my opinion. I was going to post on here about it on here but was trying to keep the jackets for myself, ha! Now that the word is out.
I have been trying to find one of the sale jackets that will fit me. I have noticed the shoulders are 17" on the 38 Dakota which seems small on a 38. I have measurements for the 2 -36 sale Roadsters and they are also 17". If they were 18" I would buy one for sure. Worried it would be too tight. Pit to pit they are 40" Which is what I am looking for.
I have a 38 and 36 Lost Worlds Ryder and Buco and they are both 18" shoulders that fit me perfect. I had an 36 Aero 50's Half-Belt a while back and it had 17" shoulders and was too tight. The pit to pit measurement on the Aero was smaller 38.5" also so maybe I would be ok.
I know I can send back if it doesn't fit but lose out on shipping. Such a dillema.
I don't think you will be able to buy a new quality leather jacket for these prices again.
I will post if I take the plunge.

Those sizings are my bane, always the same problem: if it's ok at the shoulders then it usually flaps like a bag around my waist due to the generally straight or limited drop construction of most models and if it's ok at my belly/hips then it's way too small at the shoulders. 17 in shoulder to shoulder on a size 38 does seem too narrow. I like a fitting jacket. Thanks to all the posters who took the trouble to measure things up. Don't understand why Aero or the vast majority of other manufacturers don't provide that information as the general size they specify is at best only a ballpark estimate. And I don't think they allow size customisation up to the level I'm looking for.

In Aero, what would be the closest fitting jacket models (in the sense that the shoulder/breast width vs hip width drop would be largest)? I'm thinking the '30s half belt slim fit (obviously), café racer, cossack and perhaps the speedway, sunburst and the '20s hercules. Alexander leathers perhaps the Motorrad-Jacke, roadster, Dakota and Detroit?

Very frustrating.

winterland1

Practically Family
Those sizings are my bane, always the same problem: if it's ok at the shoulders then it usually flaps like a bag around my waist due to the generally straight or limited drop construction of most models and if it's ok at my belly/hips then it's way too small at the shoulders. 17 in shoulder to shoulder on a size 38 does seem too narrow. I like a fitting jacket. Thanks to all the posters who took the trouble to measure things up. Don't understand why Aero or the vast majority of other manufacturers don't provide that information as the general size they specify is at best only a ballpark estimate. And I don't think they allow size customisation up to the level I'm looking for.

In Aero, what would be the closest fitting jacket models (in the sense that the shoulder/breast width vs hip width drop would be largest)? I'm thinking the '30s half belt slim fit (obviously), café racer, cossack and perhaps the speedway, sunburst and the '20s hercules. Alexander leathers perhaps the Motorrad-Jacke, roadster, Dakota and Detroit?

Very frustrating.
This will be my first jacket ordered new but I believe most all the manufacturers talked about here on FL will get you the fit you want. You might have to order it, as a stock size might possibly not be what you are looking for. On the other hand both of my Lost Worlds jackets fit me great. Ryder and Buco Ryder. Not big in the waist at all. Bought both used and I believe they were stock sizes.
I would say send an email or call on which ever jacket you are interested in and I bet they will do their best to get the fit you are looking for.
That's not to say you might have to return a jacket if the fit is not quite right. I had to buy and sell a few used ones to get a correct size for me.
I also have gotten better about knowing my measurements. Once you have a jacket that you like the fit, that one will be your guide.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
In Aero, what would be the closest fitting jacket models (in the sense that the shoulder/breast width vs hip width drop would be largest)? I'm thinking the '30s half belt slim fit (obviously), café racer, cossack and perhaps the speedway, sunburst and the '20s hercules.

Know exactly where you're coming from with your problem. Your estimation of the 1930s/1920s jackets being the closest fitting is on the button, though, I might chuck the Dustbowl on to that list as well, but best to ask Aero which would get the neatest fit.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Those sizings are my bane, always the same problem: if it's ok at the shoulders then it usually flaps like a bag around my waist due to the generally straight or limited drop construction of most models and if it's ok at my belly/hips then it's way too small at the shoulders.

Very frustrating.

You should consider Langlitz Leathers if you have a difficult fit issue. For example, you could order a straight-zip Cascade jacket with slash pockets and a normal collar and it'd be a trim/stylish jacket. They will work with you to customize a jacket and they have several colors of cowhide and goatskin that they don't really advertise on the US website (check their Japan website here). Langlitz's goatskin is very comfortable the first time you wear it but I don't ever envision it developing a patina. I would recommend cowhide and rough wear if you're looking for an aged look. The Langlitz japan site (here) has a lot more examples of what they do. I really like their Red Dog jacket which isn't even on the US site. Sorry to bomb Langlitz on a Alexander thread but this company is too underrepresented on this board for US customers based on their quality of work, especially for people with difficult proportions.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info on Langlitz, they do have some nice items but focused too much on motorcycling for me (I ride bikes both in India and Europe but don't wear leather for protection). Also, the problem is that if I order from anywhere outside the EU with EU delivery I'll end up paying a hefty administrative fee for customs handling, import duty and 21% VAT so financially it's usually not a deal that works out too well. Now that we're mentioning US producers: I also received some excellent feedback from a NY-based friend of mine regarding Vanson leathers in MA, apparently they also gladly go the extra mile to provide a product that's cut exactly right for the customer.

Think I'll start mailing Aero and AL to see what can be done and if push comes to shove I guess I'll make a small detour next time I visit my house in Europe, grab myself some haggis and black pudding for breakfast before visiting their factory outlets to try on the various models and have my measures taken. Still hope everything can be arranged via mail though, 120 nights/year spent in hotel rooms/airports for professional reasons somehow dampen my appetite for leisure travel.

Ask Thurston. They make theirs trim in the waist. I am a 48L with 36-38" waist. Good Wear made my Ventura perfectly for that. 26" under the pits, 20" waist. That's a big drop. I bet Aero via Thurston can do it and I know Good Wear can. Only downside is GW has a long line now. Worth the wait though.

Girl on a Motorcycle

New in Town
The Alexander sale prices right now are an amazing deal in my opinion. I was going to post on here about it on here but was trying to keep the jackets for myself, ha! Now that the word is out.

Looking on my ebay searches, I came across another Alexander sale!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/alfactory...h=item19e0629102&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I didn't know Alexander made handbags too: has anyone got any more info on this? (Fyi, not sure us ladies dig messenger bags that look like Postman Pat's spare sack :p )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic