Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Before catching up with this thread I was reading another concerning white R.A.F. sweaters where I learnt that they were originally and officially designated as "frocks". I know that Andrew will be aware of this, and is only being helpful and descriptive when he refers to the elastic gizmos as "elastic collar securing straps", but I have an old advert from The Aeroplane magazine, September 7, 1939 for The Irvinsuit which uses the description "suspender band". Strange to think that some of the bravest and best young men this country has ever produced actually went to war in frocks and suspenders!

Very good indeed! The elastic band suspended the collar in a vertical position when it was pulled up over the flying helmet to rest on the forehead.

free818

New in Town
Thanks Andrew tell me a lot,and I like brown jacket don't like redskin jacket.Can you post some pictures of brown jacket up?

aswatland

Yes it's a well preserved Irvin Air Chute electrically wired jacket from around 1940. Irvins were occasionally issued to USAAF crew members and sometimes swapped as well.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's THAT time of year again! YES it's the IRVIN SEASON to be jolly...!!

winterphotos039.jpg

winterphotos036.jpg

kowalski

Practically Family
Mr PADDY I question whether Irvin sleeve covers the entire hand my impression is that sleeves these jackets are very long ,I ask, though tailored jackets, sleeves cover your entire hand with outstretched fingers
ps nice color jacket and doog too :)

Last edited:

Gee

Familiar Face
Not sure what the protocol regarding live ebay auctions is so I won't be specific, but has anyone else noticed an Irvin for sale with a very familiar wording?
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery consider yourself flattered Mr Swatland! Can't be one of Yoda's own though as it looks like it has been dipped in chip fat, still a nice jacket though.:)

Gee

Familiar Face
Just to clarify last night's post which I now realise will make no sense whatsoever once a particular auction has ended. There is/was a very nice looking original Irvin up for grabs with the descriptive text lifted almost verbatim from one of Andrew's auctions. Having read all the Irvin threads start to finish I know that Mr Swatland is not a huge fan of overly shiny jackets, and the one in question, though certainly a very nicely preserved example, was the shiniest I have ever seen.
To further clarify ( I had just returned from a Christmas party!) When I refered to Andrew as "Yoda" I did of course mean in the "wise sage from whom we seek knowledge" sense, and not as in the "wrinkled alien dwarf" interpretation that I now realise is possible. So, I hope all is now clear and sorry for any confusion. (Note to self - Don't Drink and Post!)

aswatland

Just to clarify last night's post which I now realise will make no sense whatsoever once a particular auction has ended. There is/was a very nice looking original Irvin up for grabs with the descriptive text lifted almost verbatim from one of Andrew's auctions. Having read all the Irvin threads start to finish I know that Mr Swatland is not a huge fan of overly shiny jackets, and the one in question, though certainly a very nicely preserved example, was the shiniest I have ever seen.
To further clarify ( I had just returned from a Christmas party!) When I refered to Andrew as "Yoda" I did of course mean in the "wise sage from whom we seek knowledge" sense, and not as in the "wrinkled alien dwarf" interpretation that I now realise is possible. So, I hope all is now clear and sorry for any confusion. (Note to self - Don't Drink and Post!)

Do you have the link to the auction as I have not seen it? I have seen several people copy parts of my listings before. Cheers, Dr Andrew Swatland!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany