Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was there any reason for not having pockets in RAF "Irvin" Jackets?

andy richards

Practically Family
Gentlemen,

Was there any reason for not having any pockets in RAF "Irvin-type" Jackets?
If I see all the US AAF B-series type leather jackets they all came with slant angle or sewn on pockets. How come the (pre- and WWII) RAF flight jackets did not have these? Or...could I be mistaken?

Andy

ukali1066

Practically Family
RAF types simply didn't have time to stand around with their hands in the pockets...there was a war to be fought, women to be romanced...and tea to be drunk...

miger

New in Town
...because the matching sheepskin trousers that made up the Irvin suit had the pockets!---------------the trousers also had a high waistband which were well overlapped by the jacket. This set up, with also the sheepskin gloves and boots had the primary function of keeping the wearer warm at altitude.

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
no you're wrong, do not have pockets, the proposal was such that it is not necessary because, rescue vests and parachute worn on Irvin, you can always wear something under Irvin, which has more than one pocket

I think so, because this way I dress

mr miger, where photos of Mr. oryginal irvin ??:) without pockets :)

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The original early '30s Irvin Air Chute design did not have pockets in the jacket as it was part of a flying suit with the pockets attached to Irvin the trousers. As it has already been said there were sufficient pockets in the service uniform to cope with the requirements of RAF pilots and aircrew.

AngryNJ

Familiar Face
Real US B3s did not have slant hand warmer pockets. They had only a map pocket. If you see a B3 with hand warmers, its not accurate (I have a schott with pockets). I think the B6 (or D1, not sure) had pockets however for ground crews to wear. I could be wrong though.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Les Irvin, IIRC, also designed the B-1/A-1 and B-2/A-2 suits for the USAAC early in the '30s. These had one big chest pocket on the jacket and two on the trous. The jacket pocket interfered enough with parachute harnesses that the AAC eventually ordered them all removed.
5211431051_380a76fc0d_b.jpg

Capts. Vic Strahm and Rube Moffat, Lieuts. Pete Hill and Bert Woodring, Wright Field, 1932.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner