Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Andyboy

New in Town
You once have posted pictures of an 1938 Irvin Air Chute and this one looks nearly identic to it. Same zippers, nine underarm vent holes, two paneled back . So I guess it must be from 38 ´til maybe 40. As far as I know later jackets were made by four or more panels..

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You once have posted pictures of an 1938 Irvin Air Chute and this one looks nearly identic to it. Same zippers, nine underarm vent holes, two paneled back . So I guess it must be from 38 ´til maybe 40. As far as I know later jackets were made by four or more panels..

You have good observation skills. I have seen/owned 1945 dated Irvins made from two panels, but this was just one contract as far as I know.

aswatland

Andyboy you are correct as was John with his second guess. It is a 1938 Irvin Air Chute jacket, with the desirable plated Dot zips. The stopper box is stamped "Dot British". The jacket is the same size as my other 1938 IAC jacket, but has more of a seal finish with russet seam tapes. The zip tapes though are not identical to the herringbone pattern on the ones on the other jacket. Notice the reinforcement gromit protecting the leather from wear caused by the belt prong. This feature is generally only found on IAC jackets from 1938-9 and is a sign of real quality.

006-36.jpg

007-35.jpg

008-38.jpg

014-38.jpg

017-27.jpg

010-37.jpg

Andyboy

New in Town
..and is my size as well;-)
By the way my early Irvin has exactly the same features but only eight underarm vent rings. Does that mean that it is from a later/earlier production?

aswatland

I suspect yours was made around the same time. The number of vent rings did vary-either 8 or 9 for some reason. I have seen early ones with 8 rings and post 1940 ones also with 8 rings. The Dot British zips are generally only found on jackets and trousers from 1937-39. I have seen pre-1937 Irvins with Dot Deco zips, the singel trunnion brass Dots or double trunnion cast ones with brass pullers.

Andyboy

New in Town
I´m slowly becoming an idea of what it means to get and sort all the information about different types of Irvins..hope you will get it all together to write that book some day!

Andyboy

New in Town
Another thing about your jacket is the label which reads "size 42". I thought pre war Irvins usually were numbered up to size seven or maybe eight or sized by breast, height and waist..

aswatland

The pre-1939 jackets were sized according to chest sizes. From 1939 the more familiar single digit numerical sizing system was used.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Thanks Andrew

Very nice Links-made Irvin John. Links was a large volume maker throughout the War. Your jacket dates from 1943-5 and is most likely made from surplus Irvin trousers.

Thanks Andrew for identifying my jacket!
If I purchase another it will probably be a repro. I especially like the color and fleece of your 1941-42 Wareings. In the past ELC has had either the skin color OR the fleece color somewhat close to your Wearings - but not both at the same time. Their current repros both (1940 and 1942) have the same Vintage Finnish with only the fleece color being a different shade.

John

aswatland

The Glamour of the Irvin!

Steven asked me to post this for him. The jacket is a size 6 1940 electrically wired Irvin by Irvin Air Chute and I'm sure Steven will tell you about the young lady!

_DSC85722.jpg

aswatland

Do the wired jacket sell for less ?
They spoil the jacket I think though I used to own a size 7 15 years ago.

As is the case with all Irvins the large size ones fetch high prices. I have seen wired Irvins fetch around £1K in a size 6 in very good condition. Generally though they are considered less desirable than a conventional Irvin and therefore usually fetch lower prices than a non-wired jacket in the same condition and in the same size. Coastal Command Irvins IMO are the least popular Irvins, unless of course the yellow hood appeals to you!

Steven C P

New in Town
I really like the wired ones for 2 main reasons :-

1) They are even more rare than the regular version.
2) No way is anyone going to assume it is by Eastman or some other "nearly got it right" manufacturer.

No offence, Eastman are the best "irvin" replicas at the moment although imho the fleece is nowhere near right in texture and hand, then there's the exterior coating and the horsehide seam tapes (BoB model), the stitch count, the pattern and oh yes, the zips. Does anyone think there would be a market for "wired" replicas ?

S.

Last edited:

aswatland

I like the wired jackets, but I may be in a minority with Steven and a few others. The main issues with all repro Irvins are: the fleece and zips and small but important details such as the A.I.D stamp, stitch count, collar rings, relative length of the arms in comparison with the length of the body etc

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112