Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IRVINS IN MY COLLECTION

Over the years my collection of Irvins has expanded and changed through up-grading. Here are all ten jackets in my collection. Date wise they range in order from 1933 to 1944-5. I have photographed each jacket on the same stand so that you can see the variations in them. All the jackets are in superb condition and most have little or no wear at the cuffs. I do not have one favourite, but enjoy them all. Each jacket fits me and is worn on an occasional basis or more often in the case of those in less than mint condition!

1933 four panel Irvin Air Chute jacket. This ultra rare example is in mint condition and has the original label. The slider bucket is unmarked. It was so early that it never had an elastic strap fitted!
045.jpg

047.jpg

1938 two panel Irvin Air Chute jacket. This one was made from skins with a reddish finish and has the desirable herringbone zip tapes and unmarked nickel Dot British zips. This jacket is typical of the two panel jackets worn in the Battle of France.
037.jpg

039.jpg

1938-9 two panel Irvin Air Chute jacket. This is similar to the one above, but has a slightly darker finish and has reddish Dot zip tapes with the unmarked nickel zips. Dot British maked slider bucket.
043.jpg

1939-40 two panel Irvin Air Chute jacket. This electrically wired jacket is in almost mint condition. The connectors appear to have been removed and sewn over in the War. The zips are single trunnion brass Dot made in England zips, which are found on the earliest Irvins.
059.jpg

061.jpg

1939 dated two panel Wareings jacket. This is a very large size example and was issued to a Blenheim pilot. The fleece is an unusually creamy colour. The main zip is by Dot and the sleeve zips are Lightnings.
050.jpg

049.jpg

1940 two panal DGL jacket. Two panel Irvins by DGL of London are very rare and this one is at least a size 6 and has Dot double trunnion cast sleeve zips.
055.jpg

Last edited:

aswatland

1941-3 four panel DG Ltd labelled jacket. This one has fantastic copper-coloured fleece and Lightning zips.
053.jpg

1941-2 four panel Wareings jacket in mint condition. It is a size 6 and has cast double trunnion Dot zips. It belonged to a squadron leader who flew Mosquitos
051.jpg

052.jpg

1942-3 four panel jacket made from black fleece, which is extremely rare. I am not sure of the maker. The zips are all made by Lightning.
057.jpg

1944-5 multi-panelled jacket by DGL. This one was made from re-cycled Irvin trousers. I like the symetrical small panels. It's labelled a size 5.
058.jpg

aswatland

The 1940 DGL jacket has been my daily winter wearer for the last three years or so and it is kept conditioned and is as good as it was when I bought it around 6 years ago.

Andyboy

New in Town
Dear Aswatland, what a stunning collection you have there! And every single jacket is in such fantastic condition! My personal favourite is the 1939/39 IAC with the slightly darker finish. Brilliant! Best regards, Andreas!

Andyboy

New in Town
After one hour I´m still comparing these beauties (my fafourite at the moment is the Waerings but this might change within the next hour or so..;-)). The first IAC is a very interesting jacket as I didn´t know that four paneled Irvins were produced at such early time. Thank you for sharing all this information!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Very kind of you to share your collection here with us Andrew. I'm in total awe of such a wonderful grouping covering such a spectrum of time.

aswatland

Still working on the research.:) I have sufficient pics of originals to use, but need to do more research on the contracts.

Baron Enski

Familiar Face
The Book

I really hope you do Andrew , I"ve got three books mainly on the A2 and having one souley on the Irvin would be great . And lets face it your the man to do it . Just make it big and thick with a ton of photos. Basically the standard work on the Irvin suit.

We've been harassing Andrew since about 2007 to do a book on Irvins.

I don't own one (yet) but I'll add to the harassment :)
I love learning about era jackets. ESP the military models.
As long as Andrew gives me grief about pics, I'll reciprocate on this topic lol

Gee

Familiar Face
I have no idea how to include a link to another site, but if you Google "The Historic Flying Clothing Company", go to their online shop, then click on categories, then Flying Jackets & Suits WW2 RAF (sorry, maybe someone could insert a link?), there is a very interesting "Irvin Flying Coat Full Length". I have seen something like this before on ebay, but that example looked to have had the extra sections added to a standard jacket. This one looks to have been originally made as a coat. I just thought I'd mention it in case it is a genuine find of an extremely rare variant. It certainly looks like a proper job to me, but am I missing something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner