Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Chris 55

New in Town
Forgot to add contract number.
IMG_20210607_134252.jpg

SpitfireIV

New in Town
Experts, I need your help, thoughts and opinions on this purchase....

I've not recieved it yet so have to work off a description and photos. It's a 38" chest apparently and would seem to have had a hard life!

From what I understand it would have been an early war example with double panel front and rear. The zipper I think may be a replacement? I've not seen a zipper simply marked with a broad arrow and on closer inspection the stitching alongside the zipper looks to be redone. What say you? If it is a replacement at least it looks the part! Could have been a generic YKK....

Is there anything on this that might give an idea as to manufacturer/year? It's certainly in need of TLC, a good cleaning and feeding.

Some images....

kMeoseN.jpg

He8r89Y.jpg

cXvbKos.jpg

p6nh15Q.jpg

UFR7CZL.jpg

pvtjKIR.jpg

E5XkfId.jpg

wcnMUPu.jpg

jWeyHYp.jpg

Last edited:

SpitfireIV

New in Town
Never say die!

This old Irvin keeps battling on! But when is enough enough? Triggers broom comes to mind.

Discovered this while doing some research on an Instagram page called 'the_leather_workshop_ma'. He got it in to carry out some repair work on it?! Please note this is how it was received before further restoration work being carried out...

kxFpZTR.jpg

VFWG9cA.jpg

0ETO6ff.jpg

EW8x1EW.jpg

I particularly like the rather crude method of making the jacket 'bigger', someone thinks enough of it to keep it going....

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
The Jacket posted by spitfireIV looks fine, doesn't really need a good oiling or anything, I'd leave that one as-is...but again I wouldn't wear these originals..display only.

Lots of great options for a Repro Irvin to enjoy.

I mean you *Could* wear it.....but it will start looking like the Patched up Irvin in the above photos in no time.

SpitfireIV

New in Town
Ok, so I recieved the jacket yesterday.

First impressions? It's incredibly light! My only point of reference being an old Cirrus Irvin which would seem to have a heavier gauge leather and thicker fleece. The original is far lighter and has a very short pile fleece although it may not look it in the below photo...

bLw9C8Y.jpg

You'll have to forgive the appearance/setting in the next images, I recieved the package when I was in the workshop so it and I were a tad messy.

Anyway, I reckon it's a pretty good fit. Inside label says 38 and I'm wearing three layers under it. Movement is good and it doesn't feel tight or restrictive.

iKt8j5n.jpg

L2PE28T.jpg

rGIXGX4.jpg

w8f8bPC.jpg

It feels a tad short on the body but I'm ok with that, I prefer a jacket that rides at this height. The fit across the chest feels fine, the sleeves fall to a nice length so I think all's good.

The body is a lot darker than the images would suggest, I'm just wondering is this was how it looked original or if it has been darkened or is just dirty and grubby? I have noticed under the waiste belt the leather color is very much the chestnut brown.

WmmQ1Um.jpg

It's had a tough life that's for sure. The fleece around the sleeve openings are bald and running pretty thin too around the waiste. A few patches and Frankenstein style stitch work here and there but otherwise the leather seems very strong and supple. The biggest patch/repair is to the rear of the right shoulder where a large patch has been placed albeit tidily but looks to be a suede?

BDA9Kov.jpg

Overall pretty pleased. I think this might be a wearer, it's no pristine example and has had a tough post war life I reckon.

FbNU5R0.jpg

Now, am I right in assuming this is at the very least an early war example if not pre-war? The reason I ask this is because of the construction and the fact there's a '38' size label on the inside, I understand during the war this was changed to a numbered system, ie size 1-7. Also there is what remains of the last threads of a label, it might be writing on it, or print but is there enough to work with here to identify a maker or could these have been relabeled post war for civilian markets?

88I10gw.jpg

hZMZcIX.jpg

kkOGHsp.jpg

Thanks again for any help

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Man, it looks awesome, but the little voice in me says that Jacket should remain in retirement IMHO...They're like 80 year old Jackets now, you know?

Get some MK VIII goggles to display that Jacket in a shadow box, that's what I'd do...then save up and Get a new Eastman Irvin

Last edited:

SpitfireIV

New in Town
Well it's not been exactly Irvin weather in this part of the world (Ireland) or probably not in the UK either but I'm surprised there's not been more activity on this thread. Are Irvins falling out of fashion?

I did get to wear mine briefly yesterday on the way to the workshop. It's had a fair bit of work since my earlier posts before Xmas, I'll upload pics and details of what was done. Just some of the fixes include retrimming both sleeves and patch to right hand sleeve, a lot of stitching needed redoing and more yet to do, a lot of it was rotten and coming apart, had to resew the metal hooks back onto the collar, but the biggest job was the cleaning; It was filthy!! Unfortunately I think someone applied either black dubbin or shoe polish to the skin to, I assume, bring it back to an overall similar shade after the chroming had worn off. I was able to get some off but I'll not push my luck any further and just live with it as is. You can see the original color coming through in parts (a very dark chestnut brown).

eUT4eHD.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko