Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Windsock

A-List Customer
Just for interest I found a shot that compares the old and the new nicely. This one belonged to a Volunteer Reserve Sq Leader. The body of it is slightly smaller but the rest....

Irvin05-1.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Generally most pre- and early War Irvins were made of thinner fleeces than these 1940 ELC Irvins. However I have four originals in my collection and one which I sold earlier in the year from the years 1938-40 which are made of quite thick fleece.

1940 Electrically wired
006-27.jpg

014-25.jpg

1940 dated Irvin
001-20.jpg

DGL Irvin from 1940 and pre-War IAC Irvin-both size 6
020-2.jpg

Pre-War Irvin-size 6
015-3.jpg

014-1.jpg

I have seen Andrew's ELC Irvin in the flesh and the fleece is the same thickness as my pre-War Irvin. The sleeves do seem too wide though.

greeny

Familiar Face
I wonder if sleeve width on the Eastmans varies in proportion to the jacket size. I mean, will a size 44 have wider sleeves than a 42, or the same?
And I wonder whether the BoB and the 42 eastman have the same pattern sleeve

aswatland

greeny said:
I wonder if sleeve width on the Eastmans varies in proportion to the jacket size. I mean, will a size 44 have wider sleeves than a 42, or the same?
And I wonder whether the BoB and the 42 eastman have the same pattern sleeve

I have owned the 42 pattern jacket in a 42 and 44 and the sleeves were about the same width. There was variation in the sleeve width between original makers in the War. Of course tall airmen wearing a size 8 original would not necessarily have had fat arms requiring extra wide sleeves!;)

greeny

Familiar Face
I'm really torn!!!!
I was all set to order the Eastman - but I'm not sure I want to have ridiculous looking inflated sleeves - I'm a slim guy!
I may have to go for the Aero with a squared collar. But in that case the fleece will be even heavier than the Eastman! Oh, what to do???
I have to decide very quickly as the wait time on an Aero is 8 weeks and it is meant as a birthday present in December. Any advice, anyone?????

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Greeny - when it all boils down, it's a matter of you own personal taste.
But I will suggest, that you talk to Amanda at Aero.
They are very open to alterations/personal taste - you might even be able to talk them into making the sleeves a bit tighter. If that's your problem.
Good luck - and happy birthday when it arrives.

greeny

Familiar Face
Thanks! How's your Aero breaking in - if it's as cold where you are as it is here, it should be getting a lot of use!!

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Talking of sleeves I found this picture I took of my jackets a while ago;

Aero is on the left, the ELC in the centre and an original pre-war on the right.

The ELC is the nearest sleeve pattern but then it depends on which original you are comparing with as I would think they had varied sleeve patterns anyway?

But looking at Andrews pictures I think Eastam may have gone a little too big in the sleeve?

Looks to me that overall the Aero may be the best compromise now that they have, or will if requested, make a more tapered sleeve than the one on my jacket.

Personally I just simply like the look of the fuller sleeve of the ELC.

James.

greeny

Familiar Face
Just watched 633 Squadron again - great movie and lots of terrific jackets!!! Makes me wonder whether most folks aren't wearing them a bit on the short side now though.

aswatland

greeny said:
Just watched 633 Squadron again - great movie and lots of terrific jackets!!! Makes me wonder whether most folks aren't wearing them a bit on the short side now though.

The acting is generally poor, and much of the flying gear is not accurate.

As far as the length of the Irvins is concerned I am curious to know why you think they were shorter today? Perhaps you are joking? I am sure your know originals varied in length and were made to form part of a flying suit with high waisted trousers. They were intended to rest on the hips. If you are talking about people wearing them short these days compared with the how they were worn in the War it is worth remembering that most people today wear lower waisted trousers compared with the high waisted RAF ones. Repro Irvins vary in length as well.

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Well had the new ELC 1940 Irvin up for it's first flight today.
Open cockpit 1942 Tigermoth , ground temp about 8 deg and a lot colder at 2500 ft.
I am happy to report that the Irvin performed perfectly.
With the collar up and pulled tight with it's strap , it kept out all the darfts.
Clearly the designer of this jacket knew something of the issued encountered flying open cockpit in cold weather.:eusa_clap

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
The weathers been getting chillier, and the ELC 42 pattern Irvins been getting a few outings. It was worn for 4 months straight last winter and I'm hoping to get just as much if not more wear in this year. Heres a pic but its does not do a good job in illustrating just how much creasing and grain patterns the jacket has aquired.

sweaters017-1.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
AEROacesweater007-3.jpg

Don't know what happened to the other picture. So here we go again.
And yes, John L. you may be right, that Aero used a whole skin for each panel. (What else could they do. I stand 6'4 and has a chest/shoulders like a barrel.)

But I am also pretty sure that the manufactureres of Irvins back then used up whole skins for the pre-war model - except for small sizes of course.

Wasn't that the reasons why they changed the model to multipannel ones later in the war? In order to save skin and get the most out of each one.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Being fair and realistic

Being fair to ELC, they do say that their single panel jacket is from 1940 and, as Andrew S has pointed out, by that time the fleece was less cropped than in the mid-thirties jackets.

Being realistic, ELC aren't in the custom tailoring business and have to set their patterns for the most usual body shape, otherwise they would restrict their market.

Personally, I love IACs's early- and mid-thirties pattern with close-cropped fleece, square collar, short body and 'drain-pipe' sleeves. I suspect, however, that I am in the minority here. Knowing something of the cost of setting up production of such a jacket, it wouldn't be worth Eastman's while, I think.

greeny

Familiar Face
Well, just ordered a size 42, pattern 42 Eastman. I was going to order a long size, but was advised to get a regular to start with as custom sizes cannot be returned. I hope the fit is OK as this was their last jacket in stock and they have no more sheepskin at present. The chap on the phone said they couldn't be sure when they would get any as there seems to be an international shortage of sheepskin!?!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
greeny)The chap on the phone said they couldn't be sure when they would get any as there seems to be an international shortage of sheepskin!?![/QUOTE said:
According to John Lever' s post:
"A little bird told me it took a whole skin to make each panel of that jacket ..."
Must be because Aero bought up all the sheepskins in the world to build my jacket!lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183