Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John, the second one is the most accurate as you know. The BIN price is good and apart from the zips this one could be mistaken for an original.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
There are other photographs, probably taken at later dates, that show him in a different jacket. Maybe he traded the one shown above for a better fitting jacket, or maybe he just borrowed this one for this photograph, which was a kind of publicity shot.

For zip enthusiasts - note the early pattern Dot. Should this be on the 'originals' thread?

aswatland said:
Yes its an iconic picture. Kilmartin's Irvin Air Chute made jacket is, as HJ says, far too big for him. It looks newly issued too.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Frankly I'm stunned at these prices. But then I know what they cost in 1990...

With respect, I don't think anyone would mistake a 1990 reproduction by the Cockpit Clothing company for an original. I would say that the BoB Ltd Edition is 'better' than the contemporary Cirrus or ALC and of course it preceded the (better) Aero or ELC repros.

It was 'state of the art' for its time, before the 'bar was raised' and like other early reproductions (the late 1970s Avirex A-2s spring to mind) are interesting, if you're 'into' jacket history or construction and features.

aswatland said:
John, the second one is the most accurate as you know. The BIN price is good and apart from the zips this one could be mistaken for an original.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Easily the best reproduction RAF jacket I have ever examined was one of the production prototypes that Eastman produced before beginning full production. I think it is the one used in the the publicity material (a 'flyer') announcing the new jacket. Mr. Eastman told me it took them three years to develop the style and it had been made up by their best people. The material quality and work was simply superb.

rikbb said:
Can anybody show photos of the often mentioned 'early eastman (ELC) irvin repro'?
thanks!

John Lever

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
Easily the best reproduction RAF jacket I have ever examined was one of the production prototypes that Eastman produced before beginning full production. I think it is the one used in the the publicity material (a 'flyer') announcing the new jacket. Mr. Eastman told me it took them three years to develop the style and it had been made up by their best people. The material quality and work was simply superb.

The earlier one's are definitely better, but Alan told me and this has been confirmed recently by the man who actually tans the sheepskins, that they were also quite fragile and prone to stitch tearing. I bought one from Garcia Aviation about 7 years ago and although it very beautiful , one of the panels was paper thin and my finger went through it when I tried it on. Luckily they accepted it back for a full refund.

greeny

Familiar Face
Just received my ELC '42 Irvin jacket - ordered on Monday!!
This is the first jacket of this type that I've ever had, or even tried on, so I'm not yet sure what to think about it. The leather is softer and spongier than I had imagined and the surface is very matt. Not really sure about the distressing - it seems a little contrived. I'm pleasantly surprised at the weight of the jacket - not nearly as heavy as I was expecting. And I'm also very happy i ordered a 42 reg. as it fits perfectly.
Having never worn any kind of flying jacket before, it does feel pretty weird!! Especially the arms - I can hardly bend them. I wonder if this is something that will ease up with wear. At the moment I look pretty inflated in the jacket so I'm not sure if it's really the style for me. Do these jackets become looser over time?
Something else I really like is the way the jacket is packaged. Inside the box is a heavy brown paper bag with the jacket inside - and the label is a nice touch.
I need to try it on a few more times and decide whether or not to keep it. It's a beautiful jacket and fits perfectly - I'm just not sure it looks right on me. I'll try and post a couple of pics a little later.

greeny

Familiar Face
Okay, here are some pics. Not the best lighting but it's peeing outside.
I find the colour of the leather a bit strange - quite a lot of mottled grey, especially on the back- and generally lighter and not as rich as I expected.
Also the elastic collar keeps falling off for some reason.
DSCN1198.jpg

DSCN1196.jpg

DSCN1200.jpg

DSCN1202.jpg

DSCN1201.jpg

I'm not sure I like how it looks on me. Maybe it's too big and I should've got a 40 - maybe this kind of jacket just doesn't suit me.

John Lever

One Too Many
Looks good to me. Try wearing it with the belt fastened tightly and with the zip slightly open at the chest. I like the rib in that skin , loads of character.

greeny

Familiar Face
BellyTank said:
Keep in mind, that they're big, shapeless sacks and don't really suit anybody.
;)

B
T

Ha ha!! Very true!!

Yes the leather has some nice grain - it also feels very dry and looks like it would soak water like a sponge. Do you suppose it would need leather conditioner even though it's new?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just wear it.

NO conditioner - just good, honest wear. If you've never had one before, then you probably need to get used to it and you'll get a good full winter where you are to put it through its' paces.

It's not meant to be a custom fitted jacket. It's a military utility flight jacket, not a cat-walk GQ fashion item. So just 'enjoy' getting acquainted with what may become your new best friend!!

It looks 'good!' It's a new jacket and will need breaking in, so just get out and wear it. Congratulations on making a fine choice!! :eusa_clap

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Congrats on your Irvin, Greeny - and welcome to the club.
You're looking good!

Like all the others have said: it's a huge, heavy - in may ways - clumsy jacket. But that's just what gives it character - and that's just what we like.

Enjoy it - and next year, you will never part from it when spring comes.

greeny

Familiar Face
Thanks guys! I'm obviously quite ignorant about sheepskin - I was rather expecting it to have a more leathery feel. Had a chat to the folks at Eastman and they told me that this is how sheepskin is. So, what about wearing it in all weather conditions? Does it matter if it gets rained on? Seriously, I don't know these things.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
The jacket looks just fine on you. Looks like you made the right size choice in the end.

One can feel a bit self conscious in such a jacket at first but the thing to do is to get used to it by wearing it, and wear it with confidence. But do expect the odd ‘where’s your spitfire’ comments!

I now have five sheepskin ‘flying’ jackets and have yet to find the perfect one. But it is fun to keep trying (when funds allow of course).

I spend quite a bit of time on my mobile and yes I do have to swap hands when my arm gets tired.

On cold days you will be glad you bought it.

James

P.S

If it gets wet all the better, just helps to break it in!

greeny

Familiar Face
And it's normal that it doesn't have a leathery surface (for want of a better term)? I can't help feeling that most jackets I see in pics have a glossy leathery look to the surface.Mine is dry, matt and more in the direction of suede - again, forgive my ignorance.:eek:

aswatland

Greeny your new Irvin is a good fit. The finish on ELC jackets has not been consistent over the years. At the moment the skins have a dull finish as you say but others I have owned have been shinny. The finsh of original Irvins varied enormously as you can see from photos of originals on the FL. Enjoy breaking the jacket in.

aswatland

H.Johnson said:
With respect, I don't think anyone would mistake a 1990 reproduction by the Cockpit Clothing company for an original.

I should have excluded someone with your trained eye HJ. The average person in the street is unlikely to be able to tell the difference between this repro and an original. Indeed I have worn originals in outstanding condition which have been mistaken as modern jackets!

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Andrews absolutely right, the finish on ELC 42 patterns has not been consistent at all, especially in the last few years with the "vintage finish" sheepskin (not to be confused with the "broken grain" sheepskin). I recieved my 42 pattern Irvin last December, the same time James Pibworth recieved his. Both our jackets have a matt surface with a rich, brown colour, as well as a light born, teddy bear coloured fur. Previous versions utilized a a dark brown skin colour with a dark brown, sometimes even orange fur. Now it seems ELC is using this mottled grey coloured skin with dark brown fur. They seem to having a bit of trouble making up their minds. Not that I don't like this skin they seem to be using with the newer jackets, I wouldnt mind owning an Irvin of that colour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff