Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Greeny,

Irvin jackets as others have said are large, in truth slightly cumbersome garments which were made purely to provide warmth for (initially) flying in open cockpit aircraft. Saying that once they are broken in they are (for me anyway) a joy to wear.

Yes, the arms are to begin with very inflexible, however after an half dozen or so wears they will break in and crease where your arm bends. In terms of the sheepskin and leather, your Irvin is completely and utterly normal. Remember these are natural hides and there are differences between jackets.

Your Irvin looks grand, and the fit is very good. Just wear it and wear it often and I have no doubt you will come to love it. It will be just the thing to ride out those Austrian winters in.

rikbb

Familiar Face
nice one

greeny said:
I need to try it on a few more times and decide whether or not to keep it. It's a beautiful jacket and fits perfectly - I'm just not sure it looks right on me. I'll try and post a couple of pics a little later.

Hello,
The jacket looks great! Specially the dark fur. The 'leather side' seems to have a little bit of an 'elephant' aspect. Should you want to abandon the jacket, I wouldn't mind to trade it for my, mid-nineties 42" ELC irvin.
But i think you will start liking yours,
best,
rik

greeny

Familiar Face
Some daylight pics - the colour is much better in natural light.
DSCN1204.jpg

DSCN1207.jpg

DSCN1210.jpg

DSCN1211.jpg

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
If I were you I'd be ecstatic with your new Irvin greeny. The fit is perfect, and as you wear it, the arms wear wear in and mold to your shape. Enjoy it.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Greetings from rainy Kent! One of my ELC 1942 Irvins had almost an identical fleece to this and was closer to originals than some of their more recent 42 pattern Irvins IMO.

aswatland

Here are some pics of the early ELC Irvin I used to own. It was most likely made from Marino fleece which is very soft. The jacket had little wear and was in superb condition without wear to the fleece, holes, repairs etc.. The reversed sheepskin side was remarkably similar to originals and did not have the smooth finish of most more recent ELC Irvins.
Measurements:
Pit to pit: 24"
Across the shoulders: 20"
Sleeves from shoulder to end of cuff: 25.5"
Back from base of collar to bottom of hem: 25"

004-24.jpg

005-27.jpg

006-24.jpg

007-24.jpg

008-28.jpg

009-25.jpg

010-23.jpg

011-28.jpg

rikbb

Familiar Face
same

Hello Andrew,

Yes it looks very much like mine. the close curly fur. the color.
(I even remeber trying to contact you when you put it on ebay, as i could not view the item…)

But ever since I saw the D.G. irvin (which you have now) with the dark fur, I just prefer the darker fur.

But this ELC jacket certainly dates back to some glory time in their production history.

All the best!
Rik

aswatland

I do not have a preference for the colour of the sheepskin, but I do prefer the earlier skins used by ELC as they are closer to originals than the more recent ones IMO.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Great looking jackets

Nice jackets Rikbb, Aswatland, Greeny.
Greeny, it really looks perfect on you, I would not send it back.

How I'd like to have one of those, but I bought a "pseudo B-3" (rather sherpa-jacket) last winter and I risk being shot at dawn ;) if I only mention about getting a new one.[huh]
But is not the reproduction of an impression what really moves me, so I enjoy it as if it were an accurate replica. It seems clumsy and bulky, but when the weather gets cold and the blizzard comes, oh man... what a joy!

Anyway, Paddy, those airmen on your first picture what airforce do they belong to? They don't seem RAF to me, but I'm not an expert on that matter

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Pilots

I am afraid you are off the mark on that one, the pilots in the top photo are French pilots with the Normandie-Niemen squadron flying for Russia! They went to Russia instead of Britain, because they felt the British had betrayed them at Dunkirk. They Flew Yak fighters and racked up an impressive kill ratio, expecially after they received the Yak 3. They are finally getting some recognition now that the cold war is over. Incidentally, old Stalin had heard that it was customary to let French soldiers return to their native land with the weapon they had bested their enemy with. So,they flew two squadrons of Yak 3s back to France after the war!

aswatland

Stearmen said:
I am afraid you are off the mark on that one, the pilots in the top photo are French pilots with the Normandie-Niemen squadron flying for Russia! They went to Russia instead of Britain, because they felt the British had betrayed them at Dunkirk. They Flew Yak fighters and racked up an impressive kill ratio, expecially after they received the Yak 3. They are finally getting some recognition now that the cold war is over. Incidentally, old Stalin had heard that it was customary to let French soldiers return to their native land with the weapon they had bested their enemy with. So,they flew two squadrons of Yak 3s back to France after the war!

Thanks for putting me straight on this. I now recognise the French AF cap badge insignia. I think it must have been the Irvins and the Yak which said Russians to me. I had no idea Irvins were worn by French pilots. Are these possibly from the British consignment of Irvins to Russia?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff