Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
/|\ said:
Once I have the three Irvins, I'll be done. What I really want to spend my money on is getting 'back in the saddle'. Sadly, I've discovered that having a mortgage negates the opportunity to fly.
n40009.jpg
I know how you feel, life is good when some one else is footing the bill for the old flight bug! Amazing how expensive it is. Double for you, since you fly the unnatural way, beating the air into submission! Ever consider the graceful way of flying? Just kidding! Good luck, Tally Ho!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Is it a year already since you got that??!! Time certainly flies!

Looking good Søren. I suppose I should post a few of mine to show how mine has worn in now.

There's that nice back garden of yours as well, was very nice sitting out there having a drink or three and a chinwag :cool:

kowalski

Practically Family
showFullSize.php
[/URL][/IMG]
i have Eastman , size 44 , (1940 Pattern)
ps ,more photos in my topic; My little collection from Poland

Last edited:

macguzzi

New in Town
The Aero is top quality and is a true repro of the Irvin most others have outside pockets, Irvins did'nt. Very nice sheepskin on the Aero and Horsehide trim on the seams, good quality repro zips and buckle. The RAF gloves they do are also great.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Aero is top quality and is a true repro of the Irvin most others have outside pockets, Irvins did'nt. Very nice sheepskin on the Aero and Horsehide trim on the seams, good quality repro zips and buckle. The RAF gloves they do are also great.

This is a matter of opinion. No maker of repro Irvins gets all the details correct, whether its the zips, authenticity of the fleece, stitch count etc. Eastman's 1944 pattern is the closest repro I have owned/seen but let down by the Riri zips. Aero's zips are completely inaccurate I'm afraid.

Andyboy

New in Town
Early Eastman Jackets Rule!

Hallo everybody!
I´ve been reading this forum for a while and i really enjoy getting so much information about the great irvin jacket!
this is my first post here as i´m now a happy owner of two ELC irvins (both 1942 pattern)!
one is a newer size 42 "long" and the other one an early (maybe from the 80´s) size 42 "regular". I don´t know if this has been discussed in this thread before, but the old ELC is by far much better than the newer one!!
the leather is much thicker and does look more shiny as in the newer one, the belt is more solid and the fleece is much thicker and has a different colour (not as dark as on the new jacket).
I also had an 1942 pattern ELC with the reddish leather finish which I bought from mr John Lever (best regards!) and that was maybe the best ELC irvin I´ve ever seen. Unfortunatly it was a size 40 and too small..
Anyway I´m happy with the early eastman and I´m wearing it everyday as the winter continiues.
I´m really looking forward to buy an old wartime irvin but as everybody here knows larger sizes are hard to find..
best regards, andreas!

aswatland

Welcome to the forum Andreas. I agree with you about ELC Irvins. The early ones are superior to the more recent offerings and are closer to originals. You might like to check out the original Irvin thread on this site too. If you are a size 42 chest it should be fairly straightforward to find an original to fit you.

Andyboy

New in Town
Hallo Andrew, I´ve been reading the original irvin threat for a while but I´m not sure about the measurements of wartime irvins. problem is that most of the jackets with a 42 chest are a bit too short for me. I´m 1,80m and slim and though I know that the jacket should end at the belt line (ore even a bit above) most wartime irvins are less than 24 inches long. do you know if there are any jackets out there that have a little more lenght in the torso? and how close is the 42 ELC irvin to the measurements of an original?
regards, Andreas!

aswatland

Most size 5 + Irvins were longer than 24" from the base of collar to the bottom of the hem. Mid War Wareings jackets are among the longest I have seen. For example I own a size 7 which is 28" down the back and my size 6 is nearly 27". They are definitely out there. I have another size 7 which I'll be selling next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner