Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

stee99

New in Town
Hi Guys, short time lurker first time poster..
Have been given a irvin jacket and trousers by a mate who sadly doesnt need them anymore.
Cant ask him about them so im looking for info about how old they are and who made them,
i dont doubt theyre modern (ish) repro but beyond that i have no idea..
Thanks, Stee.

162-6245_IMG.jpg

162-6255_IMG.jpg

Image014.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the forum. Your jacket and trousers look to me like Aviation Leathercraft repros from the early 1980s. The zips appear to be YKK ones which are still used on many repro garments today. It's not often you see repro Irvin trousers as they were never as practical as the jacket.

Andyboy

New in Town
Hi everybody!
Here´s a few pictures of me wearing my ELC Irvin Jacket 1942 pattern!
It´s an older example from the eighties..
Hope you enjoy it!
Best regards, Andreas!
andyboy6661
[/URL][/IMG]
andyboy6661
[/URL][/IMG]
andyboy6661
[/URL][/IMG]// [/IMG]

aswatland

Andreas, your early ELC Irvin is one of the best I have seen in terms of authenticity. How long have you owned it for? The leather pull on the main zip looks like a replacement as it does not have the rivet securing it to the zip puller. In fact it looks remarkably like the one I had and sold to victor in the USA! I made the leather pulls for this one as it came without them. If you check out this link you will see pictures of it compared with a later 1942 pattern one.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35314-ALL-REPRO-R.A.F.-Irvin-type-jackets/page10

Last edited:

Andyboy

New in Town
Aswatland, I bought the jacket last autumn from a guy in mexico named Cesar. I just checked out the detail pictures of the zippers and you´re right. It is the jacket you sold to Victor!
It has seen plenty of wear this winter and I will continue wearing it until I get my first original! It´s a nice jacket and fits very well!

Andyboy

New in Town
By the way what do you think how old is the jacket? The guy I bought it from said it is from the eighties. Do you think that´s correct? Regards, Andreas

aswatland

It is certainly an early one. I'm not quite sure when ELC started making Irvins. John Lever may know for sure. I believe this jacket is at least 20 years old. I'm so glad it has gone to a good home.

free818

New in Town
Great jackets guys! My grandfather survived nearly an hour in the Baltic in his after bailing out in late 1943...
Post your grandfather jacket,please.

*Keep Reproduction jackets for HERE PLEASE - There's another thread for ORIGINALS - WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING thread* - Thanks Gents!

Last edited by a moderator:

kowalski

Practically Family
hi Andyboy , WWWWWWWEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRYYYYYY very beautiful jacket , this jacket and jeans ,This is what I like, or trousers M65

Philrs

New in Town
ELC 1940 Battle of Britain

Has anyone bought a repro Irvin they would like to talk about? Come on chaps please share your pics!

Actually, here is my not too positive story. I have owned this ELC 1940 Battle of Britain for 6 months, have worn it a lot and I am not happy at all (a) with the "dry" look of the sheepskin, (b) its hard, not supple, a carton-like feel when I wear it (as opposed to my original jacket which fits like a glove). Actually, it is so unmalleable that I have already worn the inside of the cuffs due to my wrists rubbing what is a solid armour of a jacket.

Bad, very bad! Anyone else here having a similar problem of e.g. the arms of the jacket feeling like carton tubes?

aswatland

This is interesting stuff. Several of us have said that the current batch of broken grain ELC Irvins are not great and are certainly inferior to ones made ten + years ago. For the same price you can buy a wearable original rather than a cardboard garment with tubes for arms.

John Lever

One Too Many
Actually, here is my not too positive story. I have owned this ELC 1940 Battle of Britain for 6 months, have worn it a lot and I am not happy at all (a) with the "dry" look of the sheepskin, (b) its hard, not supple, a carton-like feel when I wear it (as opposed to my original jacket which fits like a glove). Actually, it is so unmalleable that I have already worn the inside of the cuffs due to my wrists rubbing what is a solid armour of a jacke

Bad, very bad! Anyone else here having a similar problem of e.g. the arms of the jacket feeling like carton tubes?
Do you find that the inner seam of the cuff zips digs in at the top ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner