Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

stee99

New in Town
it is possible to shrink sheepskin. ive done to an aero b3 and was delighted with the result.

i soaked it in a hot shower and then tumble dried it on the hot setting. every 15 mins or so, i toom it out and tried it on to make sure that it did'nt shrink too much. when i thought it had shrunk enough, i let it finish drying naturally.

it doesnt dry the leather out?

stee99

New in Town
If you want to keep it, and I understand if you do, Aero in Scotland just might be able to help you.
Why don't you give them a call?

I called aviation leathercraft and they quoted me more than a new one + posting it there and then 70quid home again (im in New Zealand) i'd love it to be smaller but not that much.. lol.
Thanks for your help tho guys.

Gee

Familiar Face
Just spotted a new repro Irvin which should appeal to those who have been looking for a Coastal Command replica. I say it should, but suspect it won't. Just Google "LL-CC Coastal Command" to see Nigel Cabourn's new jacket, made by Aero who surely should know better. Still a snip at just over £2,000 if you can live with an orange hood, pockets, wrong zips, shearling, belts, basically the whole thing is wrong. Very disappointing.

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
CC Irvin that clearly isn't even meant to be a CC Irvin.

Gee,

This jacket was never intended to be a repro CC Irvin, the jacket is Nigel Cabourn's interpretation only. I've seen one at Aero's factory and it's very well made but not my cup of tea. I'll get my repro CC Irvin done propely by Will and team at Aero.

Cheers.

Gee

Familiar Face
Dear Irvinsuit,
I appreciate that the jacket is meant to be an interpretation rather than an exact copy, but the thing is being promoted on other websites with a history which is as far from the truth as the jacket is from the original. Apparently these jackets were worn by "Coastal Commanders" defending pill boxes, and the brightly coloured hoods were in order that, when the hoods were pulled up the original owners would not be shot by their own side! I have seen other examples of Mr Cabourn's work and he is clearly a very talented man, equally I know that Aero are a highly respected company with a long history of crafting excellent quality clothing, I just think that this particular jacket, whilst undoubtedly extremely well made using top grade materials is a very poor homage to the original design, borrowing, as it does side straps which were presumably inspired by B3s and pockets which look like they were scavenged from my old woodwork teacher's favourite tweed jacket.
Each to his own I guess.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A tad artistic licence in the marketing of this "fashion " item. The benefit of this thread and shared knowledge of correct "details" means we not only know what to look for, but equally what to avoid.
I daresay enough has been said on this "fashion Interpretation" and most of us here will give it a wide berth.

Let's refocus on jackets we would consider getting :)

iPhone Comms

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Just on the offchance that anyone grows out of theirs - I'm in the market for an irvin - I'm a 38-9" chest and a 32" waist, so I'm probably looking for a size 40. Feel free to PM me if you've anything that might fit the bill! ;)

Last edited:

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Just spotted a new repro Irvin which should appeal to those who have been looking for a Coastal Command replica. I say it should, but suspect it won't. Just Google "LL-CC Coastal Command" to see Nigel Cabourn's new jacket, made by Aero who surely should know better. Still a snip at just over £2,000 if you can live with an orange hood, pockets, wrong zips, shearling, belts, basically the whole thing is wrong. Very disappointing.

Wow, that's quite remarkably disgusting, and woefully incorrect!

Jonnyboy

New in Town
Hi guys,

I thought I'd post a few photos of test jacket #4 being worn. As with jacket #3, apologies for the model - the photos were taken early this morning before enough coffee had been consumed!

This jacket is for sale: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?58905-Repro-Irvin-test-jacket-4-for-sale

If there are no takers for this jacket, it will go on ebay later this week.

Cheers,

Jon

Jkt-4-front.jpg

Jkt-4-side-1.jpg

Jkt-4-side-2.jpg

Jkt-4-back.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred