Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great idea. There are other options though. One would be to buy up several pairs of Irvin trousers and get them made into a jacket.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I suppose you could always keep an original for display and wear a repro! That's what I would do.

I am not really into displays and stuff like that. Don't want to have our home turned into a museum - and I am pretty sure my wife doesn't either.
Not that I haven't been tempted by several very nice originals in extremely good shape and order.
And I might be again if the time and the price is right - but as a rule: No! If I get one it's for use!
Have even considered getting one for my son, who has the right size for it - but he's just not into WWII, flying or Battle of Britain. Not in the way of his father, that is. So it would just be a lot of waste.

Last edited:

aswatland

I know someone else who is going to do the same thing Soren. Three pairs of trousers would cost around £500. Add on the cost of making a late war jacket and you could have a multi-panel semi original made from flying trousers as most later war jackets were made.

xt40

Familiar Face
I know someone else who is going to do the same thing Soren. Three pairs of trousers would cost around £500. Add on the cost of making a late war jacket and you could have a multi-panel semi original made from flying trousers as most later war jackets were made.
I appreciate that they are not very wearable today but I just think it would be a crime to destroy such artifacts which have survived for 70 years,

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
I appreciate that they are not very wearable today but I just think it would be a crime to destroy such artifacts which have survived for 70 years,

I agree that it would be a crime to destroy the trousers, however I must say that I for one do wear mine to clear snow, and to attend an unheated club in the depths of winter. It was easily -8 degrees without adding the windchill and my repro Irvin and geniune Irvin trousers did an amazing job. I tucked the trousers into a pair of tall black Ugg boots and I was sorted. You have no idea how comfortable Irvin trousers are until you've worn a pair.

aswatland

I do not advocate using pristine or lightly used Irvin trousers. However recycling of trousers was common in the war. Surplus Irvin trousers were turned into jackets as there was less use for them later in the war with better aircraft heating, unless you were the tail gunner! There are still plenty of Irvin trousers around so if Soren really wants to use authentic materials this is the way to go. Of course he could buy up several jackets and re-use the fleece!! Soren be prepared to be locked up if you do this as you will be committing a terrible crime!

Gee

Familiar Face
Each to his own I reckon, no doubt there are vegans out there who would argue that the worst crime was cutting up original WW2 sheep in the first place. I think Andrew and Soren have got it spot on, it would be a shame to recycle an immaculate pair of trousers, but a perfectly valid thing to do with an unloved damaged pair, after all, what else could you do with them? Repair them with panels scavenged from jackets?

I treated a pair of WWII German lowboots today with Sno*Seal. Haven't done that in ages. Was kinda fun :)
I know, a threadjacking, but I thought how simple it is, yet those poor buggers in the wars never probably had such luxuries...
My WWII gear that's real won't fit me. So, by nature, it's just a collectable for me. If I had something in my size, I may wear it like one of my dress watches - only on special occasions.

stee99

New in Town
Hey guys, i posted ages ago asking about a suit given to me by a friend.
its pretty special being a bequest, but way to big for me. whats the viability of resizing so i can get more use out of it without it looking like its wearing me.
Cheers.
S.

Last edited:

aswatland

What sort of suit are you talking about? If its a repro Irvin jacket that's too big for you sell it and buy one which fits!

stee99

New in Town
This suit, repro Aviation leathercraft. It was a gift from a now dead friend so it's special to me and i really want to keep it.
Is resizing possible or do i hafta keep letting the jacket wear me?

162-6255_IMG.jpg

xt40

Familiar Face
it is possible to shrink sheepskin. ive done to an aero b3 and was delighted with the result.

i soaked it in a hot shower and then tumble dried it on the hot setting. every 15 mins or so, i toom it out and tried it on to make sure that it did'nt shrink too much. when i thought it had shrunk enough, i let it finish drying naturally.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Did the same trick with my Aero Irvin. But I did it to get a better look and feel. As new it had very fluffy sheepskin - almost as made with a hairdryer. And I wanted it to be more flat and curly. As a nice bonus it also shrank to a much better fit.
(If you look back in this thread - page 70 - there are some before/after pics) Might be good for your ALC jacket too. They tend to be rather "fluffy" too, as far as I remember.

RCAFCarson

New in Town
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am looking into getting an Eastman 1942 pattern Irvin. I was wondering if anyone in Toronto or the surrounding area might have an Eastman that I could try on for an idea of the size. I am 6"2 1/2 with a 40 chest but I only have a 31 waist so I was wondering how they fit. Other threads say to order up a size, so I'd be a 42, but I dont want to be swimming in it.

Thanks, Ethan

xt40

Familiar Face
they are short n the body. i am 5'9 and always wished my size 44 eastman was a couple of inches longer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred