Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I have issue with the header to this thread - '...can anyone get it right?'

What does this mean? Are only jackets that are close replicas of originals of any interest? Is it not worth owning a jacket that deviates from the original?

Not to me, anyway. I think that early 'reproductions' (some are no treally close enough to call them that) are of interest from a historical point of view. If you like, a memory of a time (1970s and 80s) before we became obsessed with 'authenticity' and 'accuracy' (whatever those terms may mean). In short, before there were 'jacket nerds' and 'stitch Nazis' as Ken Calder used to call them.

I call the early reproductions that nobody wants 'orphan jackets' and there are just as many interesting early 'Irvins' as there are A-2s. I think we should honour these early attempts at reproducing such jackets, as we would any other early examples of a trend.

Just my opinion, of course.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
KilroyCD said:
My long awaited WPG Irvin has arrived, and I can say that I really like it. It looks good, and the synthetic seam tapes aren't as obtrusive as I expected them to be. I have one major problem though, and that is with the zipper. It broke the first time I wore the jacket. The box (the piece at the bottom of the zip) came off when I unzipped. I didn't lose it and it's easily fixable, but I'm just debating whether to repair it or send it back for replacement. On one hand, I'd like to send it back, but on the other hand I don't want to have to wait for the replacement. :(

Why not seek an old Dot or Lightning zip and get a local leather repair shop to install it?

fishmeok

Vendor
KilroyCD said:
My long awaited WPG Irvin has arrived, and I can say that I really like it. It looks good, and the synthetic seam tapes aren't as obtrusive as I expected them to be. I have one major problem though, and that is with the zipper. It broke the first time I wore the jacket. The box (the piece at the bottom of the zip) came off when I unzipped. I didn't lose it and it's easily fixable, but I'm just debating whether to repair it or send it back for replacement. On one hand, I'd like to send it back, but on the other hand I don't want to have to wait for the replacement. :(

My brother had the same issue with his WPG Irvin- he had the zipper fixed locally then Gerry reimbursed him for it. The zipper seems to be a problem with the current jackets.
Cheers
Mark

KilroyCD

One Too Many
fishmeok said:
My brother had the same issue with his WPG Irvin- he had the zipper fixed locally then Gerry reimbursed him for it. The zipper seems to be a problem with the current jackets.
Cheers
Mark
Actually, I've already repaired the zip. The box coming off the bottom of the zip is a fairly easy thing to repair. I had the same thing happen to another jacket I own so I was familiar with how to fix it.
I'd like to make a couple of points about the WPG irvin. For the price, it's a very good value. They use synthetic seam tapes and belts, but these features do not stand out like a sore thumb, as they are well matched to the leather. Also, the reverse side of the collar is synthetic, but again, it is well matched to the leather. It passes the "ten-foot rule" with flying colours.
Despite being a bit thinner than some of the higher priced repro Irvins, the WPG jacket is quite warm. It kept me quite warm this evening while walking the dog in 13 degree (-11C) weather with the wind chill making it fell like 1 degree (-18C).
The zips are the jacket's biggest weakness aparently, but overall I'm pleased with mine and consider it to be money well spent.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
I have issue with the header to this thread - '...can anyone get it right?'

What does this mean? Are only jackets that are close replicas of originals of any interest? Is it not worth owning a jacket that deviates from the original?

Not to me, anyway. I think that early 'reproductions' (some are no treally close enough to call them that) are of interest from a historical point of view. If you like, a memory of a time (1970s and 80s) before we became obsessed with 'authenticity' and 'accuracy' (whatever those terms may mean). In short, before there were 'jacket nerds' and 'stitch Nazis' as Ken Calder used to call them.

I call the early reproductions that nobody wants 'orphan jackets' and there are just as many interesting early 'Irvins' as there are A-2s. I think we should honour these early attempts at reproducing such jackets, as we would any other early examples of a trend.

Just my opinion, of course.

I just happen to have one of those "orphan jackets" in my collection. I bought an "Irvin" from a militaria dealer in my early days of collecting RAF gear, and when I received the jacket I quickly realized it was not as it seemed. Unfortunately, the dealer refused to take it back, and I was stuck with a replica. The jacket is not marked in any way, so I have no idea of the maker. The zips are by Clix, and the underside of the collar is a tan vinyl.
Here are some photos:
100_1731.jpg

100_1732.jpg

auxair

New in Town
Dear All,

I ordered an Aero (Scotland) "pre-war" repro Irvin in early Oct 08 and am still eagerly awaiting its delivery....

No one seems to have mentioned Aero on this thread, do they manage to "get it right"?

Read about the fleece being too thick and the shape of the sleeves from another thread... anything other flaws in comparision with the "Royce Rolls" in the form of the ELC BOB Irivin?

Grateful for your input.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Kilroy

An excellent example, thank you. This is one of the (relatively common) postwar reproductions that Windsock was referring to the 'old/huge' Irvin thread. They were produced in large quantities and were available widely in the UK into the 1960s. I think they have a 'life of their own' and are historically interesting in their own right. Theire manufacture is as much of a mystery as that of many WW2 originals. I love it! Thanks for showing it.

Clix was, of course, taken over by Lightning (IMI) in the 1970s.

KilroyCD said:
I just happen to have one of those "orphan jackets" in my collection. I bought an "Irvin" from a militaria dealer in my early days of collecting RAF gear, and when I received the jacket I quickly realized it was not as it seemed. Unfortunately, the dealer refused to take it back, and I was stuck with a replica. The jacket is not marked in any way, so I have no idea of the maker. The zips are by Clix, and the underside of the collar is a tan vinyl.
Here are some photos:
QUOTE]

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
I owned an ELC Irvin many years ago. I found it was just too bulky and warm to wear regularly but they are outstanding repros.

A friend of mine collects Irvins and he agrees that Eastman just has the edge on Aero. The hardwear (zips and straps etc are very authentic).

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Bulky repro award

IMO (having owned a number of different ones) the award for the heaviest, warmest and bulkiest repro. goes to....The Cockpit Clothing Company of Southampton, for its Battle of Britain 50th Anniversary Flying Jacket!

Speech!!!......

1339lars

New in Town
WPG Irvin

I just received my WPG Irvin, and mine has a genuine leather belt, and the seam "tapes" are also made of leather!
It may have some minute "flaws" but one must really be knit picking not to accept it as a Irvin! Very good (and no customs fee) and only three days from ordering to delivery!!

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
1339lars said:
I just received my WPG Irvin, and mine has a genuine leather belt, and the seam "tapes" are also made of leather!
It may have some minute "flaws" but one must really be knit picking not to accept it as a Irvin! Very good (and no customs fee) and only three days from ordering to delivery!!

To agree, I bought my WPG Irvin in the fall of 2007 and the seam tapes and belt are all leather.
Currently I am into my second winter with the jacket and have only the same zipper complaint as the rest. I have not had to replace it yet but can see a day when I will.
This week it has been -25 to -30 and I have worn the jacket every day. Performs excellent keeping me very warm. Th large collar is really keeps one out of the wind.
For comparison, I wore my original Irvin a few times and the WPG performs just a well
Alos use the WPG while flying in he Bi-plane . Canadian winter , no cockpit heat...brrrr.. the WPG does the job just like an original.
Overall for the budget minded there is not another jacket to compare. :D :eusa_clap

KilroyCD

One Too Many
fleet16b said:
To agree, I bought my WPG Irvin in the fall of 2007 and the seam tapes and belt are all leather.

I'm guessing that those with genuine leather seam tapes and belts are likely to be from an earlier production batch. A month or so before ordering mine I received an e-mail from WPG saying that they had received a new shipment of the Irvins. I'll guess that the new ones have the synthetic tapes and belts.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
That's not the first photograph I've seen of a chap wearing an Irvin whilst smoking a cigar ...................:)

Great shot Soren!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic photo Soren, looking the business ;)

I can't even imagine wearing my Irvin today as it's 39C here!

Must admit a bit of snow wouldn't go amiss today.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
Fantastic photo Soren, looking the business ;)

I can't even imagine wearing my Irvin today as it's 39C here!

Must admit a bit of snow wouldn't go amiss today.

Hey I just sent you an email!

39! Wow, we just had a pleasant 29 here 1600km north. Melbourne is noted for it's extremes so you'll get a chance in a few months.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Windsock said:
Hey I just sent you an email!

39! Wow, we just had a pleasant 29 here 1600km north. Melbourne is noted for it's extremes so you'll get a chance in a few months.

29! 39! The grass is always greener......... the wind here has been so cold it makes my face sting, earlier this month we had ice on the inside of our windows.......:)
Must be a shock after the weather in Norway though Tim............... just out of curiosity, how many days a year would you guys be comfortable wearing an Irvin in Australia? I'd estimate you'd get around 30 days wear here in the SE of England, unless you're up at the crack of sparrows walking the dogs or live near the coast etc.

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
Are you certain of this? The synthetic tape is textured and looks very similar to the leather used on the zipper pulls, but if you compare them closely you can see the difference--look especially at the edges. Also when it wears (happened on the belt first on mine), there is an ugly gray color beneath the surface. It would surprise me if they changed this, but would dramatically improve the jacket.
1339lars said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider