Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I am pretty sure that the belt, back of collar and tapes on my new WPG are synthetic. And I has also just recieved it.
And if that's the price you pay for a great repro jacket so close to the original design - at a affordable price, I really do not care.

fr8dog

New in Town
wpg irvin

hello all ,
new to the FL, been thinking about getting the WPG irvin but it looks like they don't have my regular size 46, next up is the 48. any of you have any measurements on this jacket?
spent a few days going thru the irvin posts and found some entries with measurements of the original jackets.
I can order a 48 size and return it if it does not fit according to WPG but would like to avoid this hassle if at all possible.
Amazed at all the great info on this site! just accidently stumbled accross and glad I did.
cheers!

HermannHKG

New in Town
Second winter for my WPG Irven !

Hi all,

This is the 2nd winter for my WPG Irven, rest assured, no snythetics on mine and the zips are fine,

Cheers,

Hermann

Irven008.jpg

Jabos

A-List Customer
fr8dog, looks like I beat you to the last WPG 46. Right after I ordered it, at the end of December, I noticed 46 wasn't listed as available. Sorry. I wonder how many they order in each size? I can give you measurements if you like. I've never made measurements of a jacket but I'll give it a shot for you.

Yes, I too had zipper troubles. The bottom of the zip has clear plastic pieces to firm up the cloth at the bottom of the zipper where it attaches to the jacket. Well, those pieces of plastic were gone or cracked on mine from the start and the fabric was starting to fray. It wasn't firm and when I'd try to pull the zipper up, it was giving way and causing all sorts of problems. By the time I'd get it zipped, fumbling around all that sheapskin, I'd be sweating and raving profanities in front of the kiddies. But, I glued the cloth to make it firm and all is well except that I still have a maddening time getting the zipper to start at the bottom. I hope the teeth will eventually wear and break in. If you are wondering if you should get the WPG, I can say I love mine considering the price and my climate, where I can't wear it more than month or two a year total. I think it is easy a $600 jacket. At $350 I am telling all my friends about it and encouraging them to get one. Plus, it doubles as a wonderful blanket over my wife's feet at the end of the bed to keep her warm. Use that one if it might help sell the deal to her.;)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Jabos, that's a good fit.

I'm a 46 too. I see WPG is out of stock right now, but this is for when they restock: if you're measuring, :rolleyes: would you mind checking the length of the jacket at the back, from the bottom of collar to the hem?

I'm wondering if this might be a bit short for me and I might need a 48.

Jabos

A-List Customer
From the bottom of the collar to the hem is 26 inches. From the shoulder seam to the bottom of the sleeve is 26 inches. It is 22 3/4 from the left to right shoulder top seams, measured across the back. The exterior chest measurement is 50. I am a solid 46, and if I had a 48 in the WPG I think it would be too big on me. I hope this helps.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The WPG jacket is certainly very good value for the money. The design is most likely based on mid War Wareings Irvins, with the wide belt loops and relatively narrow seam tapes. The zips could be replaced with original DOTs or Lightnings.Wear it in good health when the weather allows.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Creeping Past and Fr8dog: Check Ebay. There is a WPG size 46 for sale, with what appears to be a leather collar, and a couple of original Irvins approx size 46. That might be a better deal than waiting on the next batch of WPG. Good luck!

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I've owned 3 WPG Irvins, the first I bought immediately after they were first available for sale, and unfortunately all three had the synthetic leather seam taps, belt, and collar backing. It took me a little while to figure it out, as it the surface DOES look like real leather, however it is in fact a synthetic, vinyl feeling material.

fr8dog

New in Town
hey Jabos,
thanks for the heads up on the ebay WPG, bid on it but it went too high,more than a brand new one, expensive shipping too all the way from Finland! rather wait on a new one from WPG with return rights if needed and inexpensive shipping!
May just try the 48 size don't know yet, maybe somebody will post measurements for the 48 so I can have an idea . 46 looks like it's what i need though.
may not need an irvin for a while ,temps here in NM are getting almost springlike- 50-55 deg

Windsock

A-List Customer
ethanedwards said:
Must be a shock after the weather in Norway though Tim............... just out of curiosity, how many days a year would you guys be comfortable wearing an Irvin in Australia? I'd estimate you'd get around 30 days wear here in the SE of England, unless you're up at the crack of sparrows walking the dogs or live near the coast etc.

Rich, where I live (region known as the Sunshine Coast) the answer is never- at least you never really need to wear one so I make the opportunities.

I have a '69 MGB so I do get to use it in Winter if driving early morning or at night sans roof but I still feel a little conspicuous in it. I'm not as bad as my Irish neighbour who has a '62 Daimler Dart who wears his terrible Frankenirvin copy at any time in winter. I wore it out to an open cockpit day last year when I was lucky it coincided with a max of 11 with occasional drizzle and I have worn one the time I went stunting in a Tiger.

Copy2ofIMG_0329.jpg

Poor old Tim, he just arrives in the country and lands in a 1 in 100 year heatwave wth maximums of 43 and night time temps above 30deg C :eek: ! Melbourne does have it's extremes and at least they don't have the humidity we have. I hope he's surviving.

Enough rambling and probably in the wrong thread...sorry.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
You can say that again Andrew! We had 43.4C yesterday, 40-something the day before, and apparently it's been over 43 again today. Hot beyond belief.

Great pic Andrew, is that with that Tiggy crowd down here, or another outfit up in Queensland?

corchel1942

New in Town
I am getting ready to order a WPG Irvin. are the sizes pretty much on? I am a 40, so do I order the 40 or 42? Will be wearing Service Dress under.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
corchel1942 said:
I am getting ready to order a WPG Irvin. are the sizes pretty much on? I am a 40, so do I order the 40 or 42? Will be wearing Service Dress under.

Mine seems to be spot on, so if you plan to wear service dress underneath I'd suggest the 42. I haven't tried wearing mine over my service dress (I only have tropical KD) yet. Mine is a bit tight over a sweatshirt, but just right over a dress shirt.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
corchel1942 said:

Mine is spot on size aswell - allthough it feels a tiny bit narrow over the shoulders and chest. ...sounds like I am boasting here, I know:eusa_doh:
Wheter it's me or the jackets design, I do not know. But it's not a big deal in daily use.
Waist, length, sleeves everything else is OK.
<<< On my avatar I even has a pretty heavy sweater under the Irvin - and I can easily zip it up too.

I would say, if you are "normally build" I recommend you take your usual size.
But then again, it all depends how you like you appearence.
Smart or "baggy".;)

Good luck!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ELC IRVINS

IMO Eastman Leather Clothing make the most accurate repro Irvins on the market at the moment. The only thing that lets them down is the zips, especially the main zip which has a Lightning style slider/pull and a Dot style slider box. I own two, one with a honey coloured fleece and a thicker sheep skin than the other which is darker and has less grain. The honey-coloured fleece jacket has an all metal main zip, whilst the other has a plastic male end. I am not sure exactly when they were made, but I enjoy wearing both on a regular basis and especially when I don't want to risk damaging one of my originals. Of the two jackets the one with the honey fleece is nearer to an original. This is a size 42 and the other is a size 44.

Here are some pictures by way of comparison.

003-21.jpg

005-26.jpg

001-22.jpg

002-20.jpg

006-23.jpg

016-23.jpg

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Windsock said:
Rich, where I live (region known as the Sunshine Coast) the answer is never- at least you never really need to wear one so I make the opportunities.

I have a '69 MGB so I do get to use it in Winter if driving early morning or at night sans roof but I still feel a little conspicuous in it. I'm not as bad as my Irish neighbour who has a '62 Daimler Dart who wears his terrible Frankenirvin copy at any time in winter. I wore it out to an open cockpit day last year when I was lucky it coincided with a max of 11 with occasional drizzle and I have worn one the time I went stunting in a Tiger.

Poor old Tim, he just arrives in the country and lands in a 1 in 100 year heatwave wth maximums of 43 and night time temps above 30deg C :eek: ! Melbourne does have it's extremes and at least they don't have the humidity we have. I hope he's surviving.

Enough rambling and probably in the wrong thread...sorry.

Thanks Andrew - in the light of what you've said, it was a bit of a silly question wasn't is? I remember reading in Clive James, when he first moved to the UK, how shocked he was at the concept of having to pay to keep warm! But I reckon one trip in an open cockpit, wearing your Irvin makes it all worthwhile ............ have you plucked up the courage to point out to your neighbour the error of his ways? That heat must be shocking, we have between 0 and 2 deg C at the moment, I'm wearing my Aero B3, don't want to get the Irvin wet in the snow............ Anyone got an original soaked in a downpour? Was there any lasting damage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points