Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Those extra panels make for a more interesting jacket. I really like this Irvin. The fit is perfect.

Thinking of letting my two repro Irvin’s go and getting one of these. But then I do like my Aero and 42 ELC. Can’t have another Irvin can I? Maybe I should not look in this lounge any more!!;)

James.

John Lever

One Too Many
aswatland said:
As I have said elsewhere this is a great jacket John. It is one of the best Irvin repros from ELC. Why does it have the elastic collar strap, which was not fitted to this style of late war Irvin?
Maybe people expect it to have the strap ?

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
jamespibworth@n said:
Those extra panels make for a more interesting jacket. I really like this Irvin. The fit is perfect.

Thinking of letting my two repro Irvin’s go and getting one of these. But then I do like my Aero and 42 ELC. Can’t have another Irvin can I? Maybe I should not look in this lounge any more!!;)

James.

No need to get rid of both of them James, I'm sure the sale of one will get you most of what you need for a new jacket.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spitfire said:
Super jacket - but shouldn't this thread be in the Irvin repro chapter?

Perhaps Paddy will move it to the repro Irvin thread, otherwise it may get lost in months to come and will be be easier to find if its moved.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Jabos said:
This winter in Oklahoma we really just had one period of terrible snow, ice, and wind. While standing in the blowing sleet watching the kids sledding with my WPG tied up tight around my face and a duck hunting cap on-and still freezing-it occurred to me I would love to have a costal command jacket with that big, luxurious hood around my noggin. Have any makers reproduced a costal command? I wish Eastman would, but perhaps there just wouldn't be the demand.

Was this a dumb question (likely since I'm not the expert most of you are on here)?

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
No not a dumb question at all. As far as I know no maker has reproduced a coastal command jacket. However, I'm sure Aero would do one if you asked them to.

Jabos

A-List Customer
I'll bet such a request would be expensive, but if it were cold enough I'll bet that hood would feel really nice. Thanks

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
John, that's a corker of an Irvin.

I can tell ELC used the off-cuts from their BoB offering as the colour and fleece of yours are exactly the same as my ELC BoB.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
jamespibworth@n said:
Here is a link to my Aero ELC Irvin comparison:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14753&page=79

John L, I seem to remember you were having talks with Aero about a fuller sleeved Aero Irvin?

James.

Thank James - I completely forgot that. Great looking jackets - and I do like the slightly "older" look of the Aero, when you look at stitchings etc.
But both are great jackets! (Note to myself: Must have one.)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Hawk_Eye said:
No not a dumb question at all. As far as I know no maker has reproduced a coastal command jacket. However, I'm sure Aero would do one if you asked them to.

The Cockpit Clothing Company of Southampton used to do a hooded version.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't imagine there is much demand nowadays a repro maker to produce an Irvin with a yellow hood, unless of course its a one-off custom job.

bbc1969

Familiar Face
H.Johnson said:
The Cockpit Clothing Company of Southampton used to do a hooded version.

I recall back in the late 80s that "The Cockpit" (avirex at that time I think) had done one as well. I remember it being in the same catalog that had their '36 flight boots as well.

So maybe some day on ebay one will show up. I don't think they sold many as I recall only seeing it in one of the catalogs, and it does not appear in any that I still have here at home.

Tally Ho!

New in Town
What kind of "The Cockpit" are you referring to?

I hope not the German company that has been selling (imported) terrible jacket copies which they've been calling "jackets made to the same specs as originals with - NOW GET THIS: the aid of the original stencils" (unquote).

The "Boutique Cockpit" as they call themselves are so full of s... you guys just wouldn't believe it...and yet people spend the same amount of money for the price of an ELC as they don't know any better.

GOOD GRIEF!!!!

Tally Ho!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy