Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Otter

One Too Many
Just to add a cat amongst the pigeons, being in the soft south, you could also look at a a D-1 or B-6. I have an older D-1 that has convinced me to reduce to one sheepskin. However, I still lust after an ANJ-4, it is an adiction you will never get over.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I just got this Eastman from eBay. The seller said he bought it new but only wore it twice in an open car which he then sold so didn't need the jacket anymore. Since he was also selling a saxaphone which he had given up trying to learn after discovering that you had to blow hard I can believe it....

Anyway it meant I got it at a good price.

I was a bit disappointed at first by the fleece colour. The ones I've seen in the flesh usually looked either a bit darker, or lighter and creamier than this. But it's a sort of gingerish beige in reality. I knew someone in the early seventies who had an original that he practically lived in and that had the darker fur which I like. I like the golden fur too and my old Currus B 3 has, or had that. It's getting a bit faded now. I expect it will look better when it gets some rain on it and starts to curl a bit. I may help it along.

I wonder if anyone can tell me how old it is? He may have bought it a while ago and just left it. Or it might be only a few months old. I've included a close up of the leather and it doesn't look like the broken hide. It's quite flexible too even though the jacket seems new and that's supposed to be stiff.

P1240006 copy.JPG

P1240009.JPG

P1240013.JPG

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I saw the auction and from the description of it being new (I knew it wasn't) I asked for more information. It can be difficult to judge from photos alone.

Right. I came to the auction late but judging by the time it took him to reply to my messages after I bought it, and the time it took him to post it, I doubt if I would have got a reply in time.

I'm rather glad it's older than I thought though. Nobody seems to have much good to say about the newer broken grain ones; and it's in pretty much as new condition.

Thanks for the info.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi All
tell me Real Mccoy is a company New Zeland or Japan. I have problem

http://www.realmccoys.co.jp/shop/index_e.html

or it side ??

http://www.realmccoys.co.nz/cat04.html

i have problem , ; it is big difference price between side I want buy B3 jacket I do not know where to order .Can other company ?? ELC ? AL ? Lost World? ... used ? now ? i have big problem :frusty:
Different companies. RM New Zealand is called the Few in Japan. These 2 are the same as you can see by the address.
http://www.thefewmfg.com/order.html
http://www.realmccoys.co.nz/agent.html
Real McCoy New Zealand used to make all leather jackets for Real McCoy Japan years ago but not anymore.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm with Søren, it looks great. The fit is bang on for what I like in an Irvin. Can't see any problem with the fleece colour either, originals came in a range of shades.

You've got a really lovely Irvin there Capes, just enjoy it ;)

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I'm with Søren, it looks great. The fit is bang on for what I like in an Irvin. Can't see any problem with the fleece colour either, originals came in a range of shades.

You've got a really lovely Irvin there Capes, just enjoy it ;)

Thanks Smithy.

I wasn't even looking for one when I saw this and I bought it on the spur of the moment so I don't think I'm going to be arsed hunting down my perfect one. I'm happy with it and the fit, but I do like the darker fur really... I don't think Spitfire settled on the one he had first he went on a long journey to get the one he really wanted. But this will do me.

It turns out that this jacket is the same age as yours and has been stored.

Does yours have this label?

$_58.JPG

What threw me a bit with this was that it seems quite new and he said it had been hardly worn, but the label is different to the current 1940's pattern. So is this is the older BoB pattern one? Is that what you have?

Did I read further up the thread that you were threatening to post some pictures of yours? It would be interesting to see how the hide has broken in.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Smithy.

I wasn't even looking for one when I saw this and I bought it on the spur of the moment so I don't think I'm going to be arsed hunting down my perfect one. I'm happy with it and the fit, but I do like the darker fur really... I don't think Spitfire settled on the one he had first he went on a long journey to get the one he really wanted. But this will do me.

It turns out that this jacket is the same age as yours and has been stored.

Does yours have this label?

View attachment 8831

What threw me a bit with this was that it seems quite new and he said it had been hardly worn, but the label is different to the current 1940's pattern. So is this is the older BoB pattern one? Is that what you have?

Did I read further up the thread that you were threatening to post some pictures of yours? It would be interesting to see how the hide has broken in.

Hi Capes,

I ordered my ELC BoB Pattern in August 2007. My label is different, which initially makes me think that possibly the date of yours is from a different era than mine. The fleece on mine is a honey shade very like many originals from the pre-war/early war period, and one of the reasons I am very happy with it and it is much like the shade in Søren's jacket from Aces High.

And yes I have been promising to post pics of how it looks now. Sorry to you and the others who have PMed me asking for these. My only defence is that I've been frantic with work and with a baby on the way I'm busier than usual ;)

But the weather is set to be good tomorrow so I'll drag the old girl out (the jacket that is) and take a few snaps.

TBH I wouldn't fuss too much about yours, the colour of the fleece and the outside hide is well within the bounds of a wartime jacket. You'll find the fleece and outer hide will darken slightly with use. And with a few bumps and bruises and a good patina building you'll have a very nice jacket there IMHO.

But photos to follow tomorrow of mine!

Tim

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Thanks. Yes John Lever who seems to know thinks they used this skin from around 2005-2007 so that would fit in with your's being slightly different.

No I'm not fussed about the colour it's growing on me, and I always quite liked gingers. The female kind anyway.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. Yes John Lever who seems to know thinks they used this skin from around 2005-2007 so that would fit in with your's being slightly different.

No I'm not fussed about the colour it's growing on me, and I always quite liked gingers. The female kind anyway.

Well you know what they say, fire upstairs, fire downstairs! Can't believe I posted that but it's late here and my wife said it ;)

I can remember (I think it was Andrew posting) an early war/pre-war Irvin which had a particularly gingery hued fleece. Once again the fleece on yours is well within the bounds of originals, it's more a case of what you are after. But I think you've got a good 'un there Capes - nice fit, in good condition and just begging to be worn in and develop a bit of wear.

If it was me I'd wear the hell out of it. It'll just get better and better. And you have one of the very best repro Irvins there are.

Onto a winner I'd say ;)

Cheers,

Tim

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes. Well remembered Tim. Some time ago I posted pictures in the other large Irvin thread of a 1941-2 DGL jacket made from a copper coloured fleece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS