Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

alfyman

One of the Regulars
Hi there, I didn't buy a R.A.F. Irvin but instead I bought a B3 10 years ago from History Preservation back then $750. I got it perfect snug fit, but I grew, I would recommend getting about 2 inches larger than your size, for future use..

Hankh

Familiar Face
Nice pics!
I'm 6"6' , 100kg (220 lbs) and lost my Aviation Leathercraft Irvin during a divorce. Still overall a positive event.;)
Definitely want another one.
Lots of reading to do!:eusa_clap

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
sorry to hear about your ALC jacket, Hankh, but perhaps you will eventually be able to buy a more authentic Eastman RAF sheepskin jacket or even an original!;)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Leave The Cat

Hankh said:
Nice pics!
I'm 6"6' , 100kg (220 lbs) and lost my Aviation Leathercraft Irvin during a divorce. Still overall a positive event.;)
Definitely want another one.
Lots of reading to do!:eusa_clap
Thats right up their with taking the dog and leaving you the cat!

Archbury

New in Town
Cart before the source

Hello gentleman, this is my first post. I've read all the wonderful Irvin threads
in their entirety and enjoyed them so much I had to join this wonderful site!
I have two repro Irivns, one from US Authentics ( with pockets, sorry guys,
it was a gift ) and an ELC 1944 pattern Devon Fleece.
If I had read all your expert advice and input I would have ordered a size or even two larger as the one I did order is too small when zipped.
With what it would take cost wise and time wise to return it I decided to keep
it and go on a diet to see if I can shed enough pounds by the time winter
rolls around to have it fit.
I do have a WPG Irvin on order just for fun, I've read from members that for the cash they're a great buy.
I can provide a detailed report on the Devon fleece if anyone is interested.
Sincerely,
Karen

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Having examined an example of an ELC 'Devon', a friend who has bred English sheep 'rare breeds' for forty years asked me to point out that he thinks what is being referred to here as 'Devon' is the fleece of the Grey-faced Dartmoor sheep rather than the Devon Longwool. I hope this helps.

He also pointed out that before and during WW2 what are now called 'rare breeds' (especially the Longwool breeds) were much more common. I'm sure that Andrew has mentioned somewhere the link between the selection of fleeces and Robinson and Ensum.

Archbury

New in Town
Thank you for your warm welcome Spitfire and Fenaxton44, I will post detailed
pics of the ELC 1944 Devon Irvin this coming weekend.
As for the jacket itself it truly is a beautiful repro, the details are exact to
the pattern and craftmanship is outstanding. The leather is very stiff and
has a cardboard feel to it but this is due the fact that it is a Time-Worn
finish. It could probably use a dose of Pecards but I don't want to darken
the finish as this is what I like about the jacket. I'll heed Paddy's advice and
just wear it to break it in.
The fleece is long and curly but stiff and a bit itchy, in time I believe it will soften up as well. I ordered a size 36 and it is too small in the waist, this
is the curse of being a woman and having hips! A 38 still may have been
too small and a 40 would have had the sleeves down to my knees!
As you can see by Mr. John Lever's pics that this is a short jacket and rather
snug fitting as opposed to the 1940 and 1942 patterns.
Overall it is an outstanding jacket, Gary and the gang at Eastman deserve a
round of applause for this version of our beloved Irvin! :)

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
I can offer some pics of my '44 Devon Fleece, Gary kindly sourced a 'golden fleece' for me (it matches exactly the fleece on an original pair of Irvin trousers I owned) and advised me to go for my usual jacket size of 42. I have tried on Eastman's other Irvins and found the 42's to be too tight on the waist but thankfully this style has it seems a wider fitting and is extemely comfortable to wear zipped up. The fleece is not at all itchy having worn it with just a t-shirt on, I agree there are areas that feel stiff and 'cardboard' - like and might indeed benefit from a touch of Pecards. There is no doubt it looks like a vintage Irvin and can only get better with wear. The definitive repro Irvin IMO, now to wait and see what Lewis Leathers come up with later this year when they release their 'Irvin' copy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/havocpaul/

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
thank you Andrew, Gary came up trumps for me getting the fleece I wanted, it will hopefully get suitable wear if we have a winter like the last one!

Edward

Bartender
Interesting to hear Lewis are enteringb thed Irvin market! Are they aiming for a historically accurate or more of a civilian option, does anyone know?

I just about ten days ago won an ELC 42 pattern on eBay for GBP300 (thanks to Andrew for thed tip off on that). It's sitting here in my office for now; photos to follow in due course.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Interesting to hear Lewis are enteringb thed Irvin market! Are they aiming for a historically accurate or more of a civilian option, does anyone know?

I just about ten days ago won an ELC 42 pattern on eBay for GBP300 (thanks to Andrew for thed tip off on that). It's sitting here in my office for now; photos to follow in due course.

Congrats with your new Irvin - great that you got it!

Archbury

New in Town
Beautiful fleece Paul, I wish mine had been made with that! So Lewis leathers
is attempting an Irvin...Can't want to see what pattern they use and if the
details are correct. I shall be awaiting Wing Commander Andrew Swatland's
assesment.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner