Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That is an absolute stunner John. As Andrew says, it could easily be mistaken for an original. Well worth the wait indeed.

Not too sure how keen anybody would be but I could post some pics of my 2007 1940 Pattern on here if anyone is interested to see how she's worn in.

Cheers and once again, lovely Irvin John.

5thumbs

New in Town
Can anyone tell me how to post pics please? There seems to be instruction son how to post links to an external site such as flickr but I dont appear to have an icon to 'manage attachements'. Is this because I havent posted enough times?

If I can sort this I'll post pics of my jacket and MGB!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
It really is a shame Eastman are unable to make Irvins from sheepskin with the character of that used on this jacket.

I am still debating with myself whether I should turn my Aero inside out, soak it in water and let it dry in the sun, in order to get "the right" fleece surface.
When I watch the collar on my jacket closely it is beginning to show that the fleece there is turning into "small bubbles" - and I think it's because it has been wet and dry and wet and dry.
Maybe a good soaking and some sunlight could speed up that process on the rest of the jacket too....
Any comments or good advice?

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Would love to see some pics of you and your jacket - just to see how you both are being worn in ;)

I'm probably looking a little bit more "wind-swept and interesting" than the Irvin :D

Søren, in terms of that "bubbling" that happens, on my ELC this has happened in the areas of wear. I haven't molly-coddled mine and it's been stuffed into overhead lockers on planes, slept in, gone to the pub and sat on, and even been stuffed in the bottom of a packing case. Doesn't hurt to have gone through a Norwegian winter either! As a result it's (in my eyes at least) worn in really nicely. I'll take some snaps over the Easter and post them up here.

Andy, don't quote me but you might have to have a certain number of posts (15, 20?) before you can post pics. Probably to stop spammers and pervs coming on here and posting all sorts!

Dav

One Too Many
Can anyone tell me how to post pics please? There seems to be instruction son how to post links to an external site such as flickr but I dont appear to have an icon to 'manage attachements'. Is this because I havent posted enough times?

If I can sort this I'll post pics of my jacket and MGB!

Hi 5thumbs,
I also had trouble figuring out how to post pics, if you upload to photobucket then open 2 windows, 1 with the post page on the other with photobucket on then copy the IMG code over to the post window when you select preview post they should appear.
Hope that works.

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I remember correctly you do not need 15 posts to up-load pics on the forum only to send PMs. It's just a case of copying them over from the 4th option (IMG) on Photobucket.

5thumbs

New in Town
Thanks guys - I'll try that.

Soren why dont you experiment with the wet/dry thing on a limited area of the fleece - perhaps part of the sleeve - to see the effect. Given it's only water I can't see it doing any harm by the way

Andy

Andyboy

New in Town
IMG_7483.jpg

IMG_7484.jpg

IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7492.jpg

IMG_7494.jpg

IMG_7499.jpg

IMG_7500.jpg

IMG_7501.jpg

IMG_7490.jpg

Congratulations John!
What a stunning jacket you have there!
Bet you can´t wait for the next winter..:)

5thumbs

New in Town
Ok sorry for the delay...
This is my ALC jacket which has since been put away for the summer without my having really worn it at all. No doubt I'll get chance when the current UK warm spell passes and the cold wind bites around late August!

It's interesting that the fleece on ALC jackets is very straight and silky, almost like fur. The appearance is therefore not very authentic but I know from experience that it will start to curl in a few weeks/months through natural wear so I'm not too bothered for now.

BTW Soren, by way of an experiment I did try lightly wetting the fleece at the cuffs and then letting it dry in the sun and sure enough it immediately took on a much more natural curly apprearance

alcandy2.jpg

A bit off topic but Smithy did request a couple of pics of my MG - this is something that I've really enjoyed over the last few weeks!

atlast.jpg

interior1.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the test 5thumbs - I will soak my jacket and hang it out in the sun and wind first thing tomorrow :)
Nice car BTW!!!! And Irvin!!!

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I think you've done exceptionally well with the ALC 5thumbs, just the go.

Now that roadster is in beautiful nick, what year is she, '68, '69, something like that?

The addition of the walnut dash and the Motolita wheel (did they give you a deal on both with the jacket :D ) looks fantastic, nice work.

I might be joining the MG fraternity in the next few weeks but we shall see ;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys - I'll try that.

Soren why dont you experiment with the wet/dry thing on a limited area of the fleece - perhaps part of the sleeve - to see the effect. Given it's only water I can't see it doing any harm by the way

Andy

OK - I went and did it today. The whole jacket!!! The weather was right for it. Sunny and windy....6 hours after it's still wet - but it looks like it works. Will post some pics later.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
This is how the wool at my Aero Irvin looked when it was brand new:
Golfm2008B003sh4.jpg

And this is taken today - after soaking in water and drying up in the sun:
L1050785.jpg

I like the new look! :D

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well done Soren. Your Irvin really does look better now. It's amazing what some water and sunshine can do to put a curl into fleece!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Andrew. And as a side effect it even feels less "bulky" now when the fleece has - sort of - flattened a bit. Lot easier to wear - can even bend my arms now! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner