Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
wax the lining of your A2 jacket.
Since the neck area of the A2 cotton lining has always been the center of concern in terms of first getting soiled and worn down, has anyone thought about using a good wax, like otter wax, or barbour wax, to lightly wax that area? I know if you wax the sleeves it will be very uncomfortable, but some waxing of the neck area will strengthen the cotton as well as protect it?

xt40

Familiar Face
wax the lining of your A2 jacket.
Since the neck area of the A2 cotton lining has always been the center of concern in terms of first getting soiled and worn down, has anyone thought about using a good wax, like otter wax, or barbour wax, to lightly wax that area? I know if you wax the sleeves it will be very uncomfortable, but some waxing of the neck area will strengthen the cotton as well as protect it?
Sorry but that is a stupid idea. The wax would ruin the jacket as every time you wore it, it would destroy the neck of your shirt. Barbour use cord collars for this reason. I have a wax peacoat type jacket I wear going to work . I must wear a scarf or it makes me look like a tramp. The wax does not normally bleed or otherwise stain stuff but high friction areas such as collars and cuffs are the exception .

I know of an Aero Irvin, size 52 for sale at VLJ. $553 plus shipping. Two years old, and very nice. Of course, it's not the most accurate Irvin from what I gather, but that's about 1/2 price. I'd grab, but I will give my Irvin dollars to Jon's efforts when the time comes.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Which is the most original, true to history IRVIN jacket of all the repros?
And why?

Eastman Leathercraft
Aero in Scotland
Aviation Leathercraft
What Price Glory
Other?

I know this has been discussed here and there on the pretty large Irvinthread, and if you've got time to spare, you might find something usefull.
But in order to give interested buyers a good overview, I figured this would be a good way to do it.

What about Aces High? They look real good .

alsendk

A-List Customer
Please allow me to say hello to all of you members in here.
I have had such a profound pleasure in reading all these hundreds of messages of knowledge - conserning Irvin flight jackets in particular.
I have become more wise now, and I do fully understand what a treasure it must be, - to own a real ww2 Irvin.
But still I am deeply in love with my newly purchased ALC Flightjacket, which I have owned for just little over a week.
Everybody here knows how such a one look like, but I am deeply impressed how well it is made, and how warm it is to wear.
I have been following all informations about how more close to the original flightjacket some other companies are, but exept from the front handwarmers( which I really like), and the solid brass YKK zippers, I cannot really tell the big difference between ELC, or Aero made copies.
My copy has a wonderful Chestnut brown colour, very close to the original ww2 colour pictures I have seen of the old ones.
The Honey coloured sheepwool has the same used texture as being used for years in all kinds of weather, and there is - in my opinion no resemblance to a teddybear jacket at all.
I am truly happy for my ALC jacket.
I bought it second hand, so it has been used since 09.
These years might have done some good to my jacket...made it look a litlle rough.Still there will be many years in pleasure,wearing this very special piece of history.
The weather in Copenhagen this day is cold - 13 degrees celcius (32 Fahrenheit)
and I will be taking a stroll to the coastline in my open Beachbuggy - wearing my flightjacket, goggles, and my MIG 15 leather helmet.
I cannot tell how pleased I am to find this wonderful Fedora lounge, and to meet all these devoted Irvin people.
Thank you so much Paddy, for making this happen, and a wonderful weekend to all of you.
Sincerely
allan
Copenhagen
Denmark

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hej Allan - velkommen til. Din jakke er kun begyndelsen - vi er mange der startede med sådan en. Jagten på den optimale stopper ikke lige med det første.

alsendk

A-List Customer
Tak Spitfire for din velkomst hilsen.
Nej jeg frygter det kan blive en dyr affære.
Dog må jeg erfare, at Jon`s nye jakker ser meget originale ud, og det ny brand Am virker også lovende, Så der sker en stadig udvikling heldigvis.
( in english)
Thank you Spitfire, for your warm welcome.
I too fear, that this could easily become a costly affair :O)
I can see that new designed flightjackets is being made, even more true to the originals...referring to Jon`s new site, and also a new brand. Am is about to start. so an ongoing development is on.
Indeed a very interesting thing to follow.

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
Actually we did !
Have just been checking up on DBA.
I ended up buying a size 40 ALC jacket from another DBA advertizing fellow, living in Viborg.
Paying him upfront, with the right to return the jacket if being too large, but it fits nicely.
After this, links, hints and Google pictures made me find this wonderful place.
I have become addicted to this place now, and will probably end up purchasing a real one some day, hopefully in a condition that will allow me to wear it most of the year.
I wonder how fragile and stiff the originals generally are, and how much can be done with them by adding dubbing.
Watching mr. Aswatland/Andrews fantastic findings, they still seem to be found in an extraordinarely good condition.

It was nice writing with you Spitfire/Søren.
These jackets has been a favorite of mine since youth.
I wish that I had one when buying my first open Morgan +4 in 1972, but now, driving my Buggy, I feel complete.
venlig hilsen
Allan
Næstved
Jazz musiker/IT tekniker

Last edited:

Otter

One Too Many
Welcome to the forum! I had an Aviation Leathercraft as well, not the most authentic jacket but it was very comfy and served me well over the years until it became a little tight across the shoulders. I sold it and bought a very nice Aero 1942 model from a realy nice guy in Finland. Sad to see the old one go as it dated to when I had my Caterham 7.

alsendk

A-List Customer
Thank you for welcoming me.
A Caterham 7 is an amazing piece of machinery, and shouldn' t be driven without a flightjacket, goggles and a leather helmet.
There aren`t many of these cars in Denmark, being very expensive here. but they look awsome when coming on strong.
When travelling in Germany, I see quite many though.

I lived for 2 years in Whitehaven/Cumbria when younger, and never before or since I have frozen this much in my life.
Is this city far from you ?

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hei og velkommen Allan! Nice to see another Irvin nut here.

Must say that I have been living in my ELC today. Hasn't really gone much over 10 Celsius today but there's been a damn brisk wind whistling through which has meant the effective temperature is probably around 5 or 6.

It's been nice rugged up today in an Irvin. Don't get to wear her as much as when we lived in Norway so I cherish these chilly days enormously ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy