Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Golden

Familiar Face
Also,

Doesn't the petroleum in pecards break down the leather?

What about smell?

I used Obenaufs on some leather a year ago and it still smells bad.

Isn't there anything natural that won't hurt the leather or stink it up?

devilish

A-List Customer
I swear by a product called Renapur. Have used it on every leather jacket I've ever owned. No real odor, it does initially darken the leather slightly but that soon returns to pretty much normal. It does say not to use on aniline dyed leather but I have and have never had any problems.

Stand By

One Too Many
Like Devilish, I love Renapur.
And I just used the more liquid Renapur "Hi-Shine" on my Irvin again - goes on a treat. And all-natural.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Ko Cho Line. The best there is in my opinion. No stitch rot, no real odour, though all these product smell of something and millions of horse tack users swear by it. I would think all slightly darken leather though Ko Cho lightens up after a while. I have, for over 30 years. :D Pecards is probably similar but costs more and gets endorsed by the Pecard shills here including the Smithsonian cleaning lady who has a drop in her coffee before polishing the A2s. But poor old RM Williams leather dressing rarely gets a look in.

To be honest there are lots of makes here, some are better than others and can have adverse effects with long term use. I have used Ko Cho for 30 years with no problems with my 70+ year old A2, as others may have used Pecards for more.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
If a jacket - being it Irvin, A2 or anything else is a new repro - or a fairly new repro - I don't recommend using anything for a number of years.
Just use it. Throw it around. Sleep in it...whatever. They don't need anything.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
But poor old RM Williams leather dressing rarely gets a look in.

Some of the very, very best stuff around. Doesn't go rancid, won't rot stitching and I've seen it used on boots, jackets and tack which were decades old and were as good as new. Seriously good stuff. Sadly I think me and Paddy are the only ones who use it round here.

If a jacket - being it Irvin, A2 or anything else is a new repro - or a fairly new repro - I don't recommend using anything for a number of years.
Just use it. Throw it around. Sleep in it...whatever. They don't need anything.

+100. If it's a new or fairly new repro it doesn't need anything. There's no reason to treat a new jacket or one only a few years old. It just does not need it.

mac-v

New in Town
Hello Gents,first off a big thank you too you all in helping me decide on the perfect Irvin for me.months of reading youre posts was invigourating and very informative.i chose and purchased an Aero pre-war in seal brown in a standard 40" chest with brass hardwear..after wanting one from when I was a kid to researching what a real Irvin is and what reproduction Irvins are available was quite a journey..thank yoy again for all youre knowledge...unfortunately I was recovering from an illness when I ordered my jacket and never thought I would put my weight back on,but I am and quite quickly.needless to say my Irvin is now a bit to `snug` a fit to what I wanted.its my pride and joy but iv bitten the bullet and decided to sell it and re-order a larger size.heart braking but I think it will be worth it.so if anyone would like to give her a loving home please get in touch..shes in mint condition no rips,tears or stains.i only received my jacket in august 2014.theres sum nice creases coming on the arms but still hasn't been broken in.i thought some one here would appreciate it.so please get in touch.when I can post pictures I wil.contact - tel : 07598188356 email : mac-v@hotmail.co.uk thanks Dan.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello Gents,first off a big thank you too you all in helping me decide on the perfect Irvin for me.months of reading youre posts was invigourating and very informative.i chose and purchased an Aero pre-war in seal brown in a standard 40" chest with brass hardwear..after wanting one from when I was a kid to researching what a real Irvin is and what reproduction Irvins are available was quite a journey..thank yoy again for all youre knowledge...unfortunately I was recovering from an illness when I ordered my jacket and never thought I would put my weight back on,but I am and quite quickly.needless to say my Irvin is now a bit to `snug` a fit to what I wanted.its my pride and joy but iv bitten the bullet and decided to sell it and re-order a larger size.heart braking but I think it will be worth it.so if anyone would like to give her a loving home please get in touch..shes in mint condition no rips,tears or stains.i only received my jacket in august 2014.theres sum nice creases coming on the arms but still hasn't been broken in.i thought some one here would appreciate it.so please get in touch.when I can post pictures I wil.contact - tel : 07598188356 email : mac-v@hotmail.co.uk thanks Dan.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear your Irvin is too snug now. The place to advertise is in the Classified section. Good luck.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear your Irvin is too snug now. The place to advertise is in the Classified section. Good luck.

Andrew is right post it up in the Classifieds with pics and you'll have better luck.

Welcome to the Lounge as well.

devilish

A-List Customer
So, I think I am about to close the deal on the 2nd hand ELC BoB being offered in the classifieds. Just out of sheer curiosity. Where would be the best place to get some original WWII zippers, either whole or slider/pullers and who could one send the jacket to for replacement work?
Or is it just not worth it and I should just wear the damn thing? Haha!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
So, I think I am about to close the deal on the 2nd hand ELC BoB being offered in the classifieds. Just out of sheer curiosity. Where would be the best place to get some original WWII zippers, either whole or slider/pullers and who could one send the jacket to for replacement work?
Or is it just not worth it and I should just wear the damn thing? Haha!

I have an ELC BoB Irvin and love it. TBH the zips don't bother me. They're not 100% correct but at the same time not so wrong as to look awful. If it was me I'd just wear the thing to begin with and enjoy it, then see if you want to replace the zips. If you're after more accurate zips you could trawl eBay of even get in touch with Jon at AH and see if he'll see you a set of his ones which are very good copies of wartime ones.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The best source of original zips is Irvin trousers. You could once buy them cheaply on Ebay, but now they seem to fetch much higher prices.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Size of Repro Irvin with Service Dress Tunic Question

Quick question,

For a repro Irvin to be worn over a Service Dress tunic, how many sizes up should one go?

I have a size 40 ELC which fits fine as a jacket. However, if wanting to wear a tunic underneath should I go for a 42 or a 44?

Thanks,

John

John Lever

One Too Many
I have an ELC BoB Irvin and love it. TBH the zips don't bother me. They're not 100% correct but at the same time not so wrong as to look awful. If it was me I'd just wear the thing to begin with and enjoy it, then see if you want to replace the zips. If you're after more accurate zips you could trawl eBay of even get in touch with Jon at AH and see if he'll see you a set of his ones which are very good copies of wartime ones.

If you are wanting the Flash zips Jon uses they are from Lewis Leathers in London. I bought several sets recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points