Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire, how did the weight and stiffness of the Aces High jacket compare to the Aero when it was new?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire, how did the weight and stiffness of the Aces High jacket compare to the Aero when it was new?

Big J, the weight and stiffness of the Aces High was exactly, spot on like I remembered an old original I once tried on. Comfortably light and soft.
While the Aero was somewhat stiff - especially the arms! - heavier and a slightly cumbersome.
(But did softened up after some use. - although not nearly as much as the Aces High.)
Hope it answered your question.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
A great progression there, Spitfire and the final result is indeed a fine winner - and good photos along the way! Thanks for posting! (and all in stark contrast to another recent thread about A2s where we were asked which was the best - he got them all, saw them all and didn't keep one. No photos. No reviews. No result. Useless for anyone here who's researching and looking to make an investment).
Good show.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just thought I would post some better - and recent - snaps of my Aces High Irvin. The last ones did not give it enough credit!

So this is how she looks after more than two years use and misuse.

Golden

Familiar Face
I found my first Irvin.
What do people here use to treat the leather with?
Will it change the color?

ty

-GB

View attachment 23856

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I have a few more questions please...

-What is the "dreaded" hot water treatment someone mentioned and what does it do?
If anything I feel the "trim" around the sleeves, waist and collar is too puffy, will this shrink those?
(Too say nothing of having non native pockets, the belt loops being off, being very stiff and cubersome)
But I bought from overseas and had to start somewhere)

-How do I date my reproduction Irvin?
The leather is visibly worn and looks dried out in places and now its in Colorado which is a tad dryer than Kent where this came from a few weeks ago.

-Has anyone used or had luck with Bickmore leather conditioner? (I have a bottle on hand)

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I have a few more questions please...

-What is the "dreaded" hot water treatment someone mentioned and what does it do?
If anything I feel the "trim" around the sleeves, waist and collar is too puffy, will this shrink those?
(Too say nothing of having non native pockets, the belt loops being off, being very stiff and cubersome)
But I bought from overseas and had to start somewhere)
Hi Golden, I guess I can answer your question, having done this on a repro Irvin (AERO) First of all you can se the visible difference on the pictures above. (The post with my different Irvins) There are before and after pictures - and the difference is pretty obvious! The fluffiness turns into small curls. The color of the fleece might change too. Get paler. Especially if the producer has use color on the fleece, to make it look "nice". The treatment itself is actually pretty straight forward: You take the jacket into the bathtub and hoist it over with hot - not boiling - but hand warm water. Inside especially but also on the outside. When its soaked through you hang it up on a large wooden hanger - outside. To let it dry. Don't use a tumbler (if you've got one big enough.) and don't hang it near heat. Just let it dry naturally. It takes time. Yes! And it does get a bit stiff. Yes. But then you can use Peckard to soften it up.
If you are not satisfied with the result - and if the jacket is still fluffy - do it all over again. Good luck!

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Don't use a tumbler (if you've got one big enough.) and don't hang it near heat.

Be careful as this is particularly important - one of our members caused a beautiful larger Irvin to shrink dramatically as the temperature setting was too high.
When the fleece is wet it will also be weak so make sure that it's well supported as it's removed from the washing machine and as it dries.

devilish

A-List Customer
You can also take a spray bottle full of hot water and wet the trim and collar areas. Then kind of scrunch the shearling with your fingers. Again leave it to dry naturally. I've been doing this with the ELC BoB I just acquired from the classifieds. It's working gradually and isn't so harsh on the outside leather.

Golden

Familiar Face
So it sounds like some people simply soak it in warm water, then let it air dry naturally with no heat.

Others use a washing machine?

Neither of these will cause shrinkage in the sizing correct?

Anyone use Bickmore leather conditioner?

Ty

-GB

Last edited:

devilish

A-List Customer
Whenever leather and water meet there is always the potential for some shrinking. With air drying this risk is lessened but it is still possible you'll get a small amount.

Golden

Familiar Face
Is there a thread comparing leather conditioners around here somewhere?
And maybe tips on application? (wet vs dry leather etc)

ty

-GB

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Is there a thread comparing leather conditioners around here somewhere?
And maybe tips on application? (wet vs dry leather etc)

ty

-GB

Dont worry, lots of threads will turn up, someone usually asks this along the way :)

there are lots of conditioners as well such as Ko Cho Line, RM Williams, Pecards, Connolly Hide Food and many more. I have used Ko Cho Line for over 30 years with no adverse effects, but I always say if it is good enough for horse tack with all that horse spit and sweat it cant be that bad. Basically anything for use with sweaty horses would probably be ok.
As for application, not on a new jacket. As for wetting, see the above posts. I prefer the Non Water Treatment and let nature take it's course as then every crease and fold and scar could tell a story.

JTeeee

Deacon211

One Too Many
That's a beaut Spit! I was thinking of taking an End of the Season shot of all my relatively recent acquisitions to chronicle the break in process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben Sharples

New in Town
Hi all.. I was hoping to get some help on a possible trade I'm thinking about!
The jacket being offered is an Irvin, a model I've loved for years and wanted for longer.. But I would like the assistance of the forum here in choosing if I should do the trade or not?
What can you see that seems off about the jacket? And alternatively, what is good about it? Any help at all would be warmly appreciated!!
Oh.. It appears that I can't post photos from my phone here..
Hmm..
Well.. The jacket is claimed to be an Aero.. Early model... No label inside.. The zipper pull has an "A" logo on it, and the jacket looks good.. Bought in 2002 apparently.. If anyone would like a photo, please email me at fifthchamber@hotmail.com or add me on Facebook under the same email?
I'd really appreciate any and all help!
My thanks..
Ben Sharples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner