Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Happy 15th Birthday. (pics)

15-years-old this year. Plenty of wear. This is what they can look like with age and abuse. This ELC 1942 model, going well.
IRVINELC006.jpg

IRVINELC009.jpg

IRVINELC012.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
15-years-old this year. Plenty of wear. This is what they can look like with age and abuse. This ELC 1942 model, going well.
IRVINELC006.jpg

IRVINELC009.jpg

IRVINELC012.jpg

They get better and better the more you wear them Paddy!

My ELC 1940 is only 2 and a half years old but has seen a lot of action and has been treated hard. She just looks better and better for it.

Must post some photos of mine when I get a moment.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Only Here

Only here would it not be weird to post about a jacket's brithday!

Congratulations, and I hope you get decades more enjoyment from that! What a great jacket.

Trog

sbhva

Familiar Face
Status update

It's time for me to give a status update - I have been practicing carrying my "stuff" in my jeans pockets and I am happy to report that I am coping well. I got rid of all the extras from my key ring and that made a big difference. As you can see, I have been listening to all the comments and learning from the experts. So ...... a "real" repro Irvin could be in my future.

Could anyone give me the dimensions of an Eastman BOB Irvin in size 44? I am especially concerned about the back length from the base of the collar to the bottom of the hem.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
sbhva said:
It's time for me to give a status update - I have been practicing carrying my "stuff" in my jeans pockets and I am happy to report that I am coping well. I got rid of all the extras from my key ring and that made a big difference. As you can see, I have been listening to all the comments and learning from the experts. So ...... a "real" repro Irvin could be in my future.

Could anyone give me the dimensions of an Eastman BOB Irvin in size 44? I am especially concerned about the back length from the base of the collar to the bottom of the hem.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve,

I have an ELC BoB Irvin although a size 42" and it is an absolutely perfect fit. My advice to you is to go one size larger than what you normally wear in a suit/dress jacket. So if you usually wear a size 42 suit jacket go for a size 44 ELC Irvin. This will mean that you will have room underneath to wear a jumper but at the same time if you wear only a shirt you won't be swamped in it.

In terms of length, Irvins were by design a shortish jacket (this was so the jacket didn't bunch up when sitting in a cockpit). My Irvin is what ELC term "extra long", in other words it has another 1 and a half inches added to the body and arms. I ordered it like this as I am 6' 1" tall. My advice is that, if you are over 5' 9" or 10" go for ELC's long sizing (an extra inch to the arms and body) or if you are over 6' go for the extra long as I did.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Troglodyte said:
Only here would it not be weird to post about a jacket's brithday!

Congratulations, and I hope you get decades more enjoyment from that! What a great jacket.

Trog

Absolutely...pure madness isn't it!! :)

sbhva

Familiar Face
Smithy said:
Steve,

I have an ELC BoB Irvin although a size 42" and it is an absolutely perfect fit. My advice to you is to go one size larger than what you normally wear in a suit/dress jacket. So if you usually wear a size 42 suit jacket go for a size 44 ELC Irvin. This will mean that you will have room underneath to wear a jumper but at the same time if you wear only a shirt you won't be swamped in it.

In terms of length, Irvins were by design a shortish jacket (this was so the jacket didn't bunch up when sitting in a cockpit). My Irvin is what ELC term "extra long", in other words it has another 1 and a half inches added to the body and arms. I ordered it like this as I am 6' 1" tall. My advice is that, if you are over 5' 9" or 10" go for ELC's long sizing (an extra inch to the arms and body) or if you are over 6' go for the extra long as I did.

Smithy;

What is the body and sleeve length or your ELC Irvin including the extra 1.5" added? I can't seem to find the lengths for a "standard" size. Thanks in advance.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
sbhva said:
Smithy;

What is the body and sleeve length or your ELC Irvin including the extra 1.5" added? I can't seem to find the lengths for a "standard" size. Thanks in advance.

Steve,

I can't for the life of me find the bloody tape measure and my wife is asleep at the mo and she'll know where it is. I'll post the measurements tomorrow for you once I've found the thing.

Cheers,

Tim

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
OK Steve,

Here are the measurements.

The arm measurement is from the shoulder sleeve seam to the end of the cuff and the back is from the seam where the collar attaches until the bottom of the body cuff. Remember these measurements are for my 42'' with the extra long sizing (an extra 1.5 inches to the body and arms

Back = 26 inches
Sleeve = 26.5 inches

HTH in your choice!

sbhva

Familiar Face
Thanks and more ?s

Thanks Tim, you have been a big help.

I am only 5'9", but the extra long body gets me to where I want to be for back length. That makes the sleeves perhaps a little too long. When you ordered your coat from ELC, did you have the option of choosing a different length for the sleeves than the body, or didn't that question come up in your case? Did the extra long sizing add to the cost of the jacket?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Steve,

When I ordered mine Gary did say that they could make the body extra long and the sleeves long, so that sounds like just what you need. Rather than doing your order online give them a ring a say that you want an extra inch and a half on the body and an extra inch on the sleeves for the size you want. I reckon by the sounds of it that that will fit the bill quite nicely. Just remember to order one size larger than your standard dress shirt/suit jacket size and you should be spot on.

Post some photos here once you get it. I think you'll be thrilled with yours. They are simply fantastic jackets, I never fail when I take mine off the hanger to wear it, to be gobsmacked with just how great a jacket it is and how true to the originals they are.

Best and I hope that the info I have given has helped!

Cheers,

Tim

EDIT: Forgot to say, I can't remember whether it was extra or not. If it was an extra charge, it can't have been too bad as l have no adverse memory of it. Give Gary a ring though, seriously nice chap and he'll be able to tell you for sure whether the extra sizings will be more.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Rare Irwin

Just thought you might want to know, there is a very rare replica RAF Irwin jacket on ebay! If you buy it I have an equally rare set of Wentworth wrenches I would sell cheap! Just thought every one here could use a good laugh.

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
Unfortunately, I've just today found a problem with my '42 ELC Irvin. There appears to be a 15mm wide patch applied to the rear hem to cover a bald spot in the fleece. I bought the jacket in November last year, but hadn't noticed it until my wife pointed it out last night. I've worn the thing once, to Stoneleigh last month. It really is very unsightly and I'm amazed that Gary let it go out like this.

fault4.jpg

fault5.jpg

fault6.jpg

The patch is very roughly cut and is lifting away from the surface, as you can see in the photos. I emailed Gary today with regard to what can be done about it, because this is a manufacturing fault if ever I saw one. Hopefully it can be better repaired than this or replaced under their warranty :(

EDIT: Does anyone have any experience of Eastmans warranty procedures, because I'm a bit worried that I'm going to be chasing shadows with this, if they're anything like other companies I've dealt with regarding faults?

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Eastman has a fairly good rep for responding to things like that, so I would be surprised if Gary doesn't offer to do something to fix the problem, which does seem to be pretty glaring. I've got a new 42 pattern arriving on Monday, possibly one of the last or even the last one made with the vintage finish skin.

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
That reassures me quite a bit. I've only ever heard good things about ELC, but it is worrying when you find something like this on almost half a grands worth of jacket. I've had dealings with companies who would take no responsibility at all once they've got the cash. Hopefully I should get a reply soon and I'll update as and when.

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
Hawk_Eye said:
I've got a new 42 pattern arriving on Monday, possibly one of the last or even the last one made with the vintage finish skin.

Oh shitaki mushrooms! I've just noticed that they no longer have the '42 on the website. Looks like I might be out of luck for a replacement if it's not fixable :(

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
I got this reply from Gary this morning:

"Dear Bryn,

Thanks for your email, and sorry to hear you have a problem with your jacket.

The pictures are helpful. That's not actually an applied patch, but laminated skin - the skin has cracked. Needless to say it is a fault and we will be happy to remedy this for you no problem. Could you please send it to the address below with a print out of your letter and I will see this taken care of as soon as it comes in.

Once again many apologies for the inconvenience, and we look forward to seeing the jacket.

Best regards,
Gary"

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Wonder what ‘laminated skin’ means? Laminated means layers, so does this mean more than one layer of skin? Not sure I like the idea of that.

Just had a look ay my 42 ELC and can see no evidence of layers, just the skin turned back and stitched. Or maybe he just means the skin is naturally layered and one layer has cracked?

James

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy