Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Phteven

New in Town
What a terrific thread. It's been really interesting reading. I think most of my hat "etiquette" comes from habits learned in the military. It just feels strange for me to be outside and not have a hat on. Similarly, being inside any building with the hat just feels wrong. Hat etiquette doesn't seem to be very rigid around my parts, so for me it's really just about being comfortable.

That said, I will usually keep the hat on in malls and large stores, grocery stores and such because it becomes a pain to try and do any shopping while carrying a hat, and I wouldn't want to put it in the grocery cart.

With regards to hat racks or hooks, there are some places that have them. But I'll also look under the chair. Sometimes, the chairs will have the shelf underneath and I'll tuck my hat in there during dinner.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
What a terrific thread. It's been really interesting reading. I think most of my hat "etiquette" comes from habits learned in the military. It just feels strange for me to be outside and not have a hat on. Similarly, being inside any building with the hat just feels wrong. Hat etiquette doesn't seem to be very rigid around my parts, so for me it's really just about being comfortable.

That said, I will usually keep the hat on in malls and large stores, grocery stores and such because it becomes a pain to try and do any shopping while carrying a hat, and I wouldn't want to put it in the grocery cart..

Agreed, I too learned my 'cover' etiquette in my years in the Marine Corps, but looking back on that, the military covers were such that we could tuck them in our belts( dress) or stuff them in our cargo pocket( BDU). Also, that didn't cover the tipping of hats, etc., it was a simple: outside they're on, inside, they're off.

I'm dismayed that the 'redneck' country "ball cap" generations have thrown etiquette out the window.

However, I'm old enough to remember the last days of the hat being part of the civilian 'uniform'. I suppose that society has dictated the etiquette and as society has changed, so has the etiquette.

I read the first posts and the list of do's and don't's and agree with most. However, I remember, as a young boy, being at Woolworth's, when they still had the "soda bar" from an even earlier time, but had become ( the original) fast food, short order, soup and sandwich, quick meal, cafe type bar. I remember that folks who sat there, drinking coffee and reading the paper or having a quick meal, did not take off their hats( in fact, I don't remember women ever taking off their hats). I suspect, in retrospect, that there simply wasn't anywhere to put them. But I also remember that in public places, such as stores, gas, bus and train stations, post offices, sports venues, auctions, etc, folks kept their hats on.

My vocation requires me to occasionally wear a hard hat and I've found that a hard hat will force one to hat etiquette, as it only seems natural when stepping indoors( other than a jobsite) to take it off and certainly when sitting down to a meal. AFA where to put it, under the chair seems natural as well.

Seems to me that hat etiquette is a apples an oranges kinda thing, depending on the hat and social situation. Cetainly work and play hats are different than dress ones.

As for me, I try to exude an example of a time gone by and exhibit a lost protocol, however, I try to be discreet and don't draw attention to myself. I try to act normal, as if that's a normal part of my lifestyle, not coming across as anal about it and/or demanding an establishment cater to me. I don't expect a place to have a coat/hat room or even a hat rack. I choose to wear a hat, I'll take care of it, thankyou.

Phteven

New in Town
Agreed, I too learned my 'cover' etiquette in my years in the Marine Corps, but looking back on that, the military covers were such that we could tuck them in our belts( dress) or stuff them in our cargo pocket( BDU). Also, that didn't cover the tipping of hats, etc., it was a simple: outside they're on, inside, they're off.
True. The hat we wore in the military took a lot of abuse.
As for me, I try to exude an example of a time gone by and exhibit a lost protocol, however, I try to be discreet and don't draw attention to myself. I try to act normal, as if that's a normal part of my lifestyle, not coming across as anal about it and/or demanding an establishment cater to me. I don't expect a place to have a coat/hat room or even a hat rack. I choose to wear a hat, I'll take care of it, thankyou.
There's the key for me, as well. Just be yourself. If it feels contrived or rigid, chances are you're not making the impression you think, whether you're following strict etiquette or not.

Every group has its own culture, and then there are sub cultures as well. In martial arts, what is considered normal for one group is hopelessly snobbish in another. I have friends who train in very formal, traditional styles, and their sense of what is polite is WAY different from mine. Whereas, in western combat arts (boxing, MMA, wrestling, etc) a fist bump or "man hug" is more appropriate. I wouldn't be surprised to see variations in etiquette and culture in every region, and even within sub groups. What may be perfectly acceptable in one place will surely be considered rude somewhere else.

Bottom line, I just try to be genuine, presume good intent from others and hope they do the same for me. While I'm sure I will offend someone from time to time, as long as I didn't do it on purpose, I try not to stress out over it.

Oh, and I check the chairs at the restaurants. Some have a small shelf that works great to hold a hat so I don't have to put it on the floor.

...I'm dismayed that the 'redneck' country "ball cap" generations have thrown etiquette out the window...
It might have begun with them, but it's expanded to almost all generations. I've seen quite a few men who were old enough to know better wearing their non-ball-cap hats at the table while dining in local restaurants.

...I read the first posts and the list of do's and don't's and agree with most. However, I remember, as a young boy, being at Woolworth's, when they still had the "soda bar" from an even earlier time, but had become (the original) fast food, short order, soup and sandwich, quick meal, cafe type bar. I remember that folks who sat there, drinking coffee and reading the paper or having a quick meal, did not take off their hats (in fact, I don't remember women ever taking off their hats). I suspect, in retrospect, that there simply wasn't anywhere to put them. But I also remember that in public places, such as stores, gas, bus and train stations, post offices, sports venues, auctions, etc, folks kept their hats on...
As I understand it, it's acceptable for men to wear their hats if they're seated at a "lunch counter" while dining for the reason you stated--no place to store them.

Historically, the rules for women were different because women's hats often required pins to keep them in place, so it was far more of an ordeal for women to remove their hats. Those rules don't seem to have changed for modern times, except to state that women wearing something as easy to remove as a ball cap should follow the same rules as men.

B1ggles

Familiar Face
I have a couple of questions regarding hat etiquette:-

What is the correct way to raise one's hat in greeting?

I've worn hats for years without getting to grips with proper etiquette but I'm given to understand that to lift it by the pinch isn't good for it, as it will distort the crown - I certainly wore out the pinch on a few panamas over the years by doing that (apart from the fact that some styles don't have 'pinches' anyway). Should you just raise the front of the hat an inch or so using the brim and then lower it?

I understand that to 'tip your hat' to a lady is really just to touch the brim by way of acknowledgement. Though I was interested recently when a friend told me that if a man tips his hat to another man, it is actually an insult! Is that true?

Fermenter

New in Town
Living in a rural area, in a time when 'hat etiquette' has clearly passed, I confess I don't feel comfortable tipping my hat to a stranger - although I will sometimes do it as a friendly gesture toward someone I know.

However, I do remove my hat indoors. I generally take the attitude that a hat is somewhat 'dirty' - even though we all know it isn't - visually it represents the outdoors, grime, weather, like a raincoat. A railway station or shopping mall or hotel lobby or other 'pseudo outdoor' indoor situation is fine, but generally if there's a ceiling I'll take the hat off.

Another aspect to a hat is that it intrudes on your face and facial expressions, so I'll usually remove it when I'm having a conversation with someone. I do this with sunglasses also, it feels rude to have a conversation with part of my face obscured. I don't particularly object to other people wearing their hat at me, but I appreciate the courtesy of its removal. I really don't like talking to people in sunglasses at all.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
An interesting thread, indeed. I don't tip the hat, no one would understand what it meant. I basically put it on when I put my coat on. I leave it on in a store, a crowded saloon, most anywhere I am not sitting. If I am sitting down, I almost always take it off, unless there is absolutely nowhere to put it. Interesting: if I set my hat on the floor in a restaurant, the staff will often direct me to a safer/less dirty place to put it.

So I guess for me it's this: if I'm wearing a coat, I'm wearing a hat. If I can sit, I'll take the hat off, regardless of taking off the coat.

Tom

fedoracentric

Banned
An interesting thread, indeed. I don't tip the hat, no one would understand what it meant.
Exactly.

For the most part, these days "etiquette" is just idiosyncratic or "put on" that some people affect now a'days. Etiquette is only etiquette if enough people around you understand what it is you are doing. If no one around you have the slightest hint that you are observing a code of behavior, then you are just doing it for yourself... and at that point it totally defeats the whole reason for etiquette which is supposed to be a code of behavior for all of society meant to make a more genteel culture for everyone. If it is just you doing it, then it is meaningless for what it was created for.

10Seconds

New in Town
Hat etiquitte in the modern era

So I am fairly new to wearing fedora style hats and young enough at 36 to have grown up in the post hat world. My Mom did always teach me no hats (of any kind) inside, so that carries over, but creates problems too. So I was wondering about what you all do in situations that we encounter. For example, in a store, whether a grocery store, Walmart, Lowes, etc., you need need yours hands to shop not hold a hat. Or casual or fast food dining places, as such have no where to place a hat, the safest place is still on your head.

Also, as society has accepted wearing regular hats indoors now, maybe things are different in some cases now? If wearing other caps indoors in non formal settings is ok, shouldnt fedoras be ok too?

tommyK

One Too Many
You take your hat off when you go in someone's home not in public places like stores, lobbies and such. Or having a conversation with someone in public I'll often take my hat off. In some casual restaurants I'll sometimes keep my hat on if there is no where to put it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Lounge. You'll find many threads on this topic - in fact I expect this question will be merged with one of them.

I've never visited a Walmart, but my sense from the internet is anything goes.

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
The rule of thumb for me is the hat goes on when I leave the house stays on until I reach my destination, unless it's a public outdoor event. Ostensibly, it's removed in order not to block other peoples view or to show respect (such as during a national anthem).

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
So I was wondering about what you all do in situations that we encounter. For example, in a store, whether a grocery store, Walmart, Lowes, etc., you need need yours hands to shop not hold a hat.

I never go shopping with a hat on... it's bad enough having to dodge the brain dead shoppers without feeling self concious aswell. :rolleyes:

Or casual or fast food dining places, as such have no where to place a hat, the safest place is still on your head.

The only time I approach a fast food outlet is when on long car journeys & then I always use the drive in's, prevents me from smelling like a deep fat fryer, can eat in relative comfort without a view of the ape house & I can share my bounty with my mutt (why should I be the only one to poison myself )so again no hat !

If wearing other caps indoors in non formal settings is ok, shouldnt fedoras be ok too?

Ahh but caps are grafted onto the wearer so can't be removed. :D

All in all I reckon I've got off pretty lightly where hat etiquette is concerned, at least it frees up thinkin' space so I can apply my mind to the more important things in life like does a brown fedora look better with a black or a darker brown ribbon.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I leave my hat on in public places like stores or lobbies or when walking to my desk at my place of work. I always remove my hat when entering any kind of place that serves food (even fast food). I will usually remove my hat when waiting in a line if there is a man also in line who has his little league baseball cap glued to his head. I do that in the hopes of trying to influence said man into at least knowing that a gentleman must remove his hat at certain times. It has not worked.

Just the fact that people are discussing when and where to tip or remove one's hat shows that this idea that etiquette is dead or that no one would understand a gesture is 100%, unequivocally false. It's what the rude and lazy tell themselves. Do people expect hat etiquette? Probably not, we've become accustomed to people being selfish, lazy and rude in public. That doesn't mean no one understands it when you're not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran