Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Shoes...

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
TwoToneDeuce said:
I will echo the sentiments of the rest of the group. AE's are wonderful shoes. There are better but few in the $2-300 price point. Aldens and Greens being the others that pop into mind at that price.

If you know where to find Edward Greens for $2-300, I'd love to know about it.

And I'll chime in and say AEs are great shoes. I think the Park Avenue, their basic cap-toe oxford, is a classic shoe that would look equally at home in the '30s and today. I have three pairs of this model, one in each of their normal colors (black, brown, burgundy), and they're great shoes.

I like the look of the Broadstreet, but it irritates me that they only offer it in black/white, not brown/white. I don't like the more severe look of black/white spectators.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Amen...

Orgetorix said:
I like the look of the Broadstreet, but it irritates me that they only offer it in black/white, not brown/white. I don't like the more severe look of black/white spectators.
... was just up on the AE site this morning making a checklist of shoes to buy over the next year. Broadstreets in brown/white would have been on my list, but not black/white. Also their Shelton saddle shoes in burgundy/black don't work for me. Here's my wish list:
  1. Cody (chili)
  2. Hampstead (chili)
  3. Newport (black)
I also have the Park Avenue in both brown and black. Loved the AE "chestnut" color (British tan), but they seem to be phasing out of them.

Barry

Practically Family
AE MacNeil in Merlot Antibes. Probably my favorites. Btw: My left shoe is a 9EEE, my right is a 9D.

merlot2.jpg

Will polish tomorrow :p.

Barry

PenMan

Familiar Face
Some stiffer than others!

astaire said:
I have three pairs of AE shoes. Funny though, it seems my black one has a "stiffer" leather than my two brown pairs, which are really soft.

Can anyone relate to this or is it just me?

Thanks all!

Astaire, I can relate to differences in feel, though mine align differently. I have 4 pair of AEs, all from Ebay. They all fit pretty well and are the only shoes I would ever buy online. The strange thing is this: two of my AEs have rubber soles (one is a casual, and one is semi-casual, i.e. fairly dressy from the top, but with the rubber sole). The other two are leather soled dress shoes. Here is my point of confusion. The rubber sole shoes have a padded leather liner, so that my foot feels like its in a tennis shoe. The leather sole shoes have a leather liner, but it is not at all padded. It is thinner and hard.

Also, one pair of leather sole is brown and very soft, one pair of rubber sole is brown and soft as an expensive glove, and one pair of leather sole is black, and not all that soft.

Anybody have any comment on these things. Is the leather liner of all AEs supposed to be padded; is there a correlation between colour and leather quality (hard to imagine that is the case)?

Haversack

One Too Many
I was at the Allen-Edmonds trunk show in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and noted that in February they will be selling a new spectator in cream and brandy. I didn't make a note of the name but did notice that it is not the same pattern as the Broadstreet and it is on one of their newer lasts. Next time I go in I will try to get more information.

Haversack.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Zemke Fan said:
Spring 2007 line still not final, but this looks to be among them:

Is that a linen vamp? Smashing!

PenMan said:
Astaire, I can relate to differences in feel, though mine align differently. I have 4 pair of AEs, all from Ebay. They all fit pretty well and are the only shoes I would ever buy online. The strange thing is this: two of my AEs have rubber soles (one is a casual, and one is semi-casual, i.e. fairly dressy from the top, but with the rubber sole). The other two are leather soled dress shoes. Here is my point of confusion. The rubber sole shoes have a padded leather liner, so that my foot feels like its in a tennis shoe. The leather sole shoes have a leather liner, but it is not at all padded. It is thinner and hard.

Also, one pair of leather sole is brown and very soft, one pair of rubber sole is brown and soft as an expensive glove, and one pair of leather sole is black, and not all that soft.

Anybody have any comment on these things. Is the leather liner of all AEs supposed to be padded; is there a correlation between colour and leather quality (hard to imagine that is the case)?

I have two pairs of AE Park Avenues, in Brown Antibes and Merlot Burnished Calf, and a third in Black Custom Calf on the way. All with leather soles. The brown ones have the PORON cushion insole; the merlot shoes are uncushioned. I think the cushion insole may be a relatively recent option that AE offers, so older shoes probably don't have them.

I don't know about a correlation between color and leather quality, but it does seem they use different kinds of leather for different colors, and they have different characteristics. Whereas my merlot shoes have a smooth, waxy finish, the brown ones are slightly more grainy. The brown ones remain relatively smooth after several months of wear, while the merlot shoes are more deeply creased across the vamp, and so they look more worn. I need to send them in for recrafting, in fact. We'll see what the black ones look like whenever they show up.

Teacher

Familiar Face
Zemke Fan said:
Spring 2007 line still not final, but this looks to be among them:

AE-SP.jpg

Yes, that's from AE's Shoe Wrap, their magazine for vendors. If that makes it into production (which it most likely will), good times will be rolling again for AE.

moustache

Practically Family
Very nice!

Zemke Fan said:
Would appreciate any comments from loungers about Allen-Edmonds current offerings that might work with a vintage-inspired look. What do ya'll think of these particular models:

Astor:
Astor_large.jpg

Hampstead:
Hampstead.jpg

Niles:
Niles.jpg

I have seen these offered at Nordstroms in Portland.Prices are a bit steep for me but i would love to have a pair or two.

JD

Canadave

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
...They still make them with a metal piece in the arch. Most shoes use a plastic piece and it usually breaks because of all the weight placed on shoes. Of course with that metal piece you won't make it past security at the airport...

They now have shoes that are "Built to Fly...", so maybe they've gone back to plastic or some other material other than metal.

David

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
moustache said:
I have seen these offered at Nordstroms in Portland.Prices are a bit steep for me but i would love to have a pair or two.
JD

Don't pay full retail unless you have to. AEs are often on sale, discounted at their various outlet stores, and available (new and used) on Ebay for quite reasonable prices. Not to mention the fact that you can send used shoes back to AE for recrafting, and you get back an almost-new shoe--new soles, heels, and cork footbed; refurbished uppers. I've done this with shoes I picked up at thrift stores for $5 and the result is the next best thing to having a brand-new pair!

moustache

Practically Family
Thanks

Orgetorix said:
Don't pay full retail unless you have to. AEs are often on sale, discounted at their various outlet stores, and available (new and used) on Ebay for quite reasonable prices. Not to mention the fact that you can send used shoes back to AE for recrafting, and you get back an almost-new shoe--new soles, heels, and cork footbed; refurbished uppers. I've done this with shoes I picked up at thrift stores for $5 and the result is the next best thing to having a brand-new pair!

I search the thrift stores often but have not seen a pair of AE's yet.Bostonians and such but thats about all.Will enjoy looking though.
As for Nordstroms:I love looking through the mens section but almost never buy anything.Granted,trying out the latest cologne is always fun.At those prices,trying is all i can do on my salary.

JD

moustache

Practically Family
Finally!!!

Well,i have finally acquired a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes! Looked for a good price and found one.So here they are. A little used,but in delightful condition.And they fit beautifully.

And all of my nice shoes now have cedar shoe trees!!!

JD

aelarge.jpg

jkingrph

Practically Family
Barry said:
I like the last photo you posted the best. They also have a pair of burgundy and black saddle shoes. I thought they were nice too. Alden's 990s and 994s are pretty sweet looking as well - especially in color 8 shell cordovan.

The Allen-Edmonds Shelton:

Shelton_display.gif

Barry
Allen Edmonds has made the saddle for years, I had a pair over 30 years ago, however as I am on my feet a lot I prefer their models with what they call a double oak sole that is double thickness of leather. I also like the way they line thier shoes. The inner sole is a single piece of hard leather which after a short time molds to your foot and is extremely comfortable. I just hate a shoe with a "bonded fiber" inner sole. My big toe eats a hole in it andit becomes irritating and uncomfortable.

I wear a hard to find size 12-a so generally order my from Progressive Shoe Store in Pontotoc, Ms. They usually send out a sale flyer a couple of times a year and good for me prices on these shoes. Right now have 5 pair and one is showing extreme wear inside so will replace soon. They last a long time and are very good shoes. My favorite is a pair in the plain toe military last in a color called chili, kinda a camel tan.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace