Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Shoes...

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Would appreciate any comments from loungers about Allen-Edmonds current offerings that might work with a vintage-inspired look. What do ya'll think of these particular models:

Astor:
Astor_large.jpg

Hampstead:
Hampstead.jpg

Niles:
Niles.jpg

Barry

Practically Family
Zemke Fan said:
Would appreciate any comments from loungers about Allen-Edmonds current offerings that might work with a vintage-inspired look. What do ya'll think of these particular models:

Niles:
Niles.jpg

I like the last photo you posted the best. They also have a pair of burgundy and black saddle shoes. I thought they were nice too. Alden's 990s and 994s are pretty sweet looking as well - especially in color 8 shell cordovan.

The Allen-Edmonds Shelton:

Shelton_display.gif

Barry

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Barry...

Saw the saddle shoes, too. Wondered if anyone knew when they were introduced? (Will have to look at Marc's Esquire thread.) I'm leaning VERY strongly towards the Hampsteads. I love the Niles in that "brandy" color. Allen-Edmonds has an outlet store and most of these can be purchased as "seconds" for about $100 off. (The blemishes are usually next to impossible to pick out; the AE inspection process is rigorous.) -- ZF

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I recommend them

I have three or four pair of Allen Edmonds. They are classic, ie, wingtip and cap toe, and one pair of spectators (saddle). Extremely well made, and when bought at Nordy's on sale, not bad in price.

I have a pair of Johnson & Murphy wax finished saddle shoes looking similar to the post above. I don't recommend the wax finish. Except in rain. I have trouble keeping the shoes looking shined. They have dull, er...waxy look.:eek:

Zohar had a pair of Broadstreet made, and also a pair, I believe, by Alden. If I remember, Zohar said the Alden's are better made, but less fancy than the Allen Edmonds.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Allen Edmonds are a well built shoe. They still make them with a metal piece in the arch. Most shoes use a plastic piece and it usually breaks because of all the weight placed on shoes. Of course with that metal piece you won't make it past security at the airport, just remember to check in that toothpaste too.:D
My friends Dad used to tell us when we were kids; "you spend all day on your feet, therefore spend at least one day's pay on shoes".

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Barry said:
The Allen-Edmonds Shelton:

Shelton_display.gif

Barry

You could not do better than these. I have a pair myself.

I was a J&M/Cole Haan man until I joined The FL. I now have 4 pairs of AEs (tan split-toe, black split toe, the aforementioned saddles and cordovan wing-tips). These are by far the best shoes I've ever owned. They are worth every penny.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Zemke Fan said:
Allen-Edmonds has an outlet store and most of these can be purchased as "seconds" for about $100 off. (The blemishes are usually next to impossible to pick out; the AE inspection process is rigorous.) -- ZF

Alden sells their seconds through Shoemart in Norwalk(CT).

Barry

Practically Family
G. Fink-Nottle said:
You could not do better than these. I have a pair myself.

I went downtown to watch the protesters gather near the White House today and then I went to the AE store. Those oxfords sure are a beautiful pair of shoes. I tried them on and I was really impressed. I think the salesman said the color was called a "polished cobbler burgundy."

Barry

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
To reply to your question, I wouldn't think the tassel loafers would work with a vintage outfit. Aren't tassel loafers a fairly recent phenomenon? Like since the 70's maybe? Don't know for sure but they don't feel vintage to me.

Zach R.

Practically Family
I just bought my second pair of Allen Edmonds Wingtips, and I must say these are the finest shoes I've ever owned.

My first pair were pre-owned, so I didn't get to break them in for my feet, so they always fit a little wrong,these shoes make the Bostonians and Florsheims I've been wearing look like this:
sandalscb1.jpg

They're also much more comfortable than my other AEs, which are tassel loafers.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
When did tassels appear... on shoes...

boomerchop said:
Aren't tassel loafers a fairly recent phenomenon? Like since the 70's maybe? Don't know for sure but they don't feel vintage to me.
Excellent question, BC. I have no clue. Perhaps the ever-knowledgable amongst us can provide some insight.

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Zemke Fan said:

Hampstead:
Hampstead.jpg

These would be my choice of the ones mentioned, though I like AE Broadstreets.

I will echo the sentiments of the rest of the group. AE's are wonderful shoes. There are better but few in the $2-300 price point. Aldens and Greens being the others that pop into mind at that price.

-D

funneman

Practically Family
boomerchop said:
To reply to your question, I wouldn't think the tassel loafers would work with a vintage outfit. Aren't tassel loafers a fairly recent phenomenon? Like since the 70's maybe? Don't know for sure but they don't feel vintage to me.

I'm sure Mr. Chavlier or Deckard or Root could comment on this with more authority than I, however I recently saw an ad where Sperry Topsiders was re-introducing their very first boat shoe, from the mid-forties, the shoe was two-tone black and brown and featured a tassel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou