Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds sole repair??

moustache

Practically Family
Ok cobblers out there:I have a pair of delightful Allen Edmonds Byrons that are in wonderful condition.Except for one small problem.
The soles have a couple of years of life left save one having a dime sized hole in the center of the sole.You can see and feel the cork.Not sure how this occured but i would like to repair it myself instead of taking it in and having the whole sole replaced or spending $$$$ and waiting who knows how long.
Are there any products on the market one can use to fill said affliction and be done with it or ???The other twin is in great condition and needs nothing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JD

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
This has happened to me on several pairs of AEs--the sole has just gotten worn down to nothing in the middle. The only solution is to have them resoled. You can have half soles put on them, where they cut the sole just forward of the waist and replace the front half. I've had half soles and heels done for as little as $38 (decent, but not spectacular, work).

moustache said:
Ok cobblers out there:I have a pair of delightful Allen Edmonds Byrons that are in wonderful condition.Except for one small problem.
The soles have a couple of years of life left save one having a dime sized hole in the center of the sole.You can see and feel the cork.Not sure how this occured but i would like to repair it myself instead of taking it in and having the whole sole replaced or spending $$$$ and waiting who knows how long.
Are there any products on the market one can use to fill said affliction and be done with it or ???The other twin is in great condition and needs nothing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JD

Find a good shoe repairman!

If you can find a good shoe repair guy, then it is a good idea to get you good shoes done right. It is a lot cheaper to get new soles and heels than buy a new pair of high end shoes.

Speaking of shoe repair here is a story I remember. A middle aged man has come home to attend his father's funeral and after all the ceremonies goes to his parents home. There his mom tells him to go thru his dad's stuff for her. In going thru the dresser he finds a very old repair stub for a pair of his dad's shoes and realizes the shoe repair place is still there. So he grabs the ticket and takes a walk to the shop and presents the ticket to the cobbler and says, "I was wondering if you still had these, I'd like to pick them up." The cobbler looks at the ticket and with out a word goes into the back room and the sounds of rummaging thru shoes comes from the back. A few minutes later the cobbler comes out hands the ticket back to the guy and says, "They'll be ready, Tuesday!" ;)

Sincerely,

Mr. Steve

New in Town
What to do?

Send them into Allen Edmonds if you can't find a good repair shop. The shoes are well worth it. The good thing about Allen Edmond is they will send you a box to ship them for free. When the shoes return, they can look brand new. I have had some of my Edmonds for almost 15 years and I bet you would think they were new.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Orgetorix said:
The only solution is to have them resoled.
KS15113.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
Sole mate.

Allen Edmonds Recrafting Dept. does an excellent job. I send a few pairs of my customers shoes there every week. They do an amazing job. It really is worth the money to have them do the work.
Marty

moustache

Practically Family
I have thought about the AE service.But for one little hole 1/2" x 3/4"??Seems like a LOT of money.I will try to find a temporary fix.Then maybe send them in later.One of my pals suggested Rock putty.Does not shrink,mixes to a putty and insert it into the damaged area.Then a wee bit of something to cover it.At least for awhile.

JD

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Put them aside until you're flush enough to send them off to AE or to take them to a shoe repair artiste. There is no fix for a hole in a sole except resoling them. I know this because I have frequently had shoes with holes and have frequently had no money to fix them. I tried everything from lining the shoe with cardboard and/or plastic, to filling the hole with sylicone caulking compound to just taping the whole thing up. Anything other than the full repair will be frustratingly temporary at best.

dayton007.jpg

moustache

Practically Family
Thanks for the suggestions fellas.I found a local cobbler who is putting on new half soles(leather of course)heels and a thin rubber gasket over the leather for a bit over $50.And in a day or two.Sounds good to me.

JD

Dagwood

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Speaking of shoe repair here is a story I remember. A middle aged man has come home to attend his father's funeral and after all the ceremonies goes to his parents home. There his mom tells him to go thru his dad's stuff for her. In going thru the dresser he finds a very old repair stub for a pair of his dad's shoes and realizes the shoe repair place is still there. So he grabs the ticket and takes a walk to the shop and presents the ticket to the cobbler and says, "I was wondering if you still had these, I'd like to pick them up." The cobbler looks at the ticket and with out a word goes into the back room and the sounds of rummaging thru shoes comes from the back. A few minutes later the cobbler comes out hands the ticket back to the guy and says, "They'll be ready, Tuesday!" ;)

Thanks John. That story made my day.:)

moustache

Practically Family
A follow up to my shoe repair issue:work was done today and shoes are now back home.Very nice job.Here they are .My AE Byron's with new half soles,heels and polished up.

AE-Byron-41.jpg

AE-Byron-11.jpg

JD

moustache

Practically Family
anon` said:
Where'd you go for that, JD?

The Shoe Stop in Lloyd Center.Second floor on the west end near Nordstrom.
The turn around time amazed me.I expected a week at least.The shoes look wonderful!!
I will try to remember to wear them at the FL get-together at the end of the month.

JD

moustache

Practically Family
Marty M. said:
Nice job. How old are your Byron's?
Marty

Not really sure Marty.I would estimate 2-4 years old.An ebay special they were.if i remember correctly,i paid $25 for them.A little polish and voila!!
All 4 pair of my AE's total around $200 possibly.Not too bad if i say so myself.

JD

Fifty150

One Too Many
Allen Edmonds recraft vs local cobbler? That depends on how good your local cobbler is. As opposed to searching far and wide for a good cobbler. In today's world, cobblers are on YouTube, and people actually ship their shoes, then spend more than the shoe is actually worth. I would never spend more to repair a shoe, if I can buy the same shoe for less than the cost of repair.

On my leather sole shoes, my local cobbler adds a piece of rubber. Vibram sells them in rolls.

PSX_20230724_195913.jpg

IMG_20230724_203724959.jpg

IMG_20230724_203750610.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner