Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alley Kat Hat Co

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks Lando. That is a great color combination. I know what you mean about the Black Cherry color. It looks black in low light but put it against another color or take it outside and it totally changes. It is one of my favorite colors. Tim did a great job on that one!

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
I do love black cherry and there do seem to be a number of different shades out there. I have Art's light weight, which is very dark and have seen other dress weight felts that are several shades lighter, this seems to be another shade again. Is it winchester felt?

Looks great and a really interesting ribbon choice.

Lando

Practically Family
13072719074_b904a6a214_b.jpg

This is my hat when we were still discussing ribbons. We tried out a few different ones, and ended with the brown. But I was very taken with how the blue looked against the Black Cherry and it will probably be on my next hat from him. I've been wondering how a cream or a tan would effect the color but havent had the chance to see the combination yet. The blue ribbons seems to almost make it look navy at first, so I wonder if a tan would make it look brown. Just a very strange color lol.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Incredible, lando! The last pic does look positively blue on my screen. Beautiful hat no matter what spectrum it reflects.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Landman

One Too Many
Wow, that does make the felt look blue! It is almost like the blue of the ribbon reflects on to the felt.

I have one in Art Fawcett's lightweight black cherry. Art put a basic Open Road style ribbon on mine but the bow keeper is a dark shade of maroon. Just that little bit of maroon changes the color of the felt dramatically in the right light. I wonder, since the maroon is only on one side, if the other side would appear to be black while the bow side is a different shade. I've never looked for that effect on it. I'll see if I can take some pictures to capture the effect on both sides.

Also, my black cherry felt feels much softer than my other lightweight beaver bodies from Art. I remember reading somewhere that for a light colored felt Winchester had to bleach the fibers first and then dye them. For dark colored felt they don't bleach the fibers, they just dye them. Skipping that step I think explains why the darker Winchester bodies feel much softer and more luxurious to me than the lighter colored bodies.

Last edited:

Lando

Practically Family
13272681794_e2ca6e2611_b.jpg

13272487363_2eba2c0e9c_b.jpg

Tim's 31st hat arrived today. I'm really amazed that it's only his 31st hat because it's a beautiful piece. He managed to get a nice wide brim out of the bunny black cherry body and the lighter ribbon draws some great tone out of the already lighter black cherry color. I'd love to see how good his work's going to get when he hits 100 one day, but for now, this is a really great hat. The furfelt has a nice smooth light feel to it and the stitching is tight through out , without any inconsistencies. Great pricing, good communication, solid construction: it's just a great package over all. You know that feeling you get when you pull a new hat out of a box and just need to stare at it for a while, turning it in your hands. Then you put it on and just leave it there while you go about your day until eventually your wife asks if you're going out lol.

I'm very happy with Tim's work and I will do business with him again. If you're unsure, try him out, you won't be let down by his skill or enthusiasm.
I've tinkered with hats but I'm just no good. My passions for hats does not translate into a skill to make or manipulate them very well.
In Tim's case, his passion for hats has clearly translated into a skilled ability to create them.
I said this in another thread, but I'll reiterate it here; I feel very lucky to have found so many great hat makers. Most of them by the direction of you folks here, so thanks for that.
13272478743_004a6c375e_b.jpg

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks great Lando.

I can second your comments on Tim's communication and enthusiasm. I've placed an order with him and his communication has been first rate.

Thank you for the kind words everybody.
Lando. The hat looks very good on you. Glad to have you advocate for me here. I only know one way to do things; something my dad instilled in me. Do it right or don't do it at all. I take pride in every thing I do. Most importantly my having work out there long after I am gone is a satisfying thing for me. Enjoy!!

13272681794_e2ca6e2611_b.jpg

13272487363_2eba2c0e9c_b.jpg

Tim's 31st hat arrived today. I'm really amazed that it's only his 31st hat because it's a beautiful piece. He managed to get a nice wide brim out of the bunny black cherry body and the lighter ribbon draws some great tone out of the already lighter black cherry color. I'd love to see how good his work's going to get when he hits 100 one day, but for now, this is a really great hat. The furfelt has a nice smooth light feel to it and the stitching is tight through out , without any inconsistencies. Great pricing, good communication, solid construction: it's just a great package over all. You know that feeling you get when you pull a new hat out of a box and just need to stare at it for a while, turning it in your hands. Then you put it on and just leave it there while you go about your day until eventually your wife asks if you're going out lol.

I'm very happy with Tim's work and I will do business with him again. If you're unsure, try him out, you won't be let down by his skill or enthusiasm.
I've tinkered with hats but I'm just no good. My passions for hats does not translate into a skill to make or manipulate them very well.
In Tim's case, his passion for hats has clearly translated into a skilled ability to create them.
I said this in another thread, but I'll reiterate it here; I feel very lucky to have found so many great hat makers. Most of them by the direction of you folks here, so thanks for that.
13272478743_004a6c375e_b.jpg

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tim is a personal friend of mine. I feel responsible for getting him involved in Fedoras to begin with. I never in a million yrs thought he'd be making/selling his own. I think its awesome, so much so, that I'm hoping to get one from him myself, but I want it to be special......maybe his "50th"? You listening buddy? :becky:

Kurt. #50 is yours. It's on me. You gave me a kick in the ass 2 years ago when I needed it the most. Thanks brother!

QUOTE=bolthead;1776117]Tim is a personal friend of mine. I feel responsible for getting him involved in Fedoras to begin with. I never in a million yrs thought he'd be making/selling his own. I think its awesome, so much so, that I'm hoping to get one from him myself, but I want it to be special......maybe his "50th"? You listening buddy? :becky:[/QUOTE]

gear-guy

Practically Family
At this rate Tim might start doing this full time. My order is in the works and can't wait to see it. A man who can make hats, fly rods, and likes the blues, I call that awesome.:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy