Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALMOST MINT STAR SPORTSWEAR A2

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Star Sportswear had one contract with the USAAF and it was either labelled W535ac28557 or 42-18245-P. It appears to have been one of the smaller volume contracts. Star A2s rarely turn up for sale, but in the condition of the one below, almost never. I will post further pics when it arrives. And no its not a Good Wear repro! :lol:

Star1.jpg

Star2.jpg

Star5.jpg

Star3.jpg

Star6.jpg

Star4.jpg

Star7.jpg

aswatland

I currently have 14 original A2s. I have sold some whilst up-grading others as its the only way I can manage to do it. I'm tending to go for size 44s now as I prefer the slightly more generous fit.

aswatland

90% are Ebay finds. Here's the current list, without the new Star.

Rough Wear 1401p size 44
Rough Wear 23380 size 42 (nr mint) CBI ATC
United Sheeplined 42-18777-P size 42
Perry 42-16175-P size 44, near mint
Star 42-18245-P size 42
Aero ac21996 size 42
Poughkeepsie ac28560 size 44
David D Doniger 42-21539-P size 42 (fits like a 44)
No Name 42-18246-P size 44
Monarch W535ac23378 size 44
No Name (Cable) 27753 size 46 nr mint
Spiewak 42-18776-P size 42 mr mint
Cooper Sports Wear W535ac23381 size 44

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
lefTy

hey, what's with the slightly oversize left side of the collar?

i've noticed this on a number of ww2 designs, more or less. i just sold a post war spiewak a-2 that used the same patterns as their ww2 production coat...it had an even bigger left collar side that i thought was a mistake when i first got the jacket...then i checked other spiewaks of the post war, and also ww2 ones, and most had the larger left side collar, as well as some other ww2 brands, and now this one (though not a huge discrepancy)

do you or does anyone know why the left side was made slightly (and in some cases noticeably) larger?

fascinatttttttttttttttttting, i know ;D

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
I had the pleasure of seeing this jacket in the flesh at the weekend and it really is stunning. Even better than the wonderful pics!

Andrew really is a great authority on A-2s and Irvins – his research is second to none and he deserves to find these beauties as he really does appreciate them. Hard work and effort to find these things does pay off ocassionally!

Well done again and look forward to your next revelation.

aswatland

Finally I have got round to taking some pictures myself, with a little help of my younger son, of the Star. It looks like it was made last week and could easily be mistaken for one John's masterpieces! It is extremely comfortable to wear being a large size 44 with inset sleeves. The jacket is perfect in every way. The quality of the stitching is first rate and clearly it was made by a very skilled person.

010-54.jpg

011-47.jpg

002-50.jpg

020-27.jpg

014-45.jpg

015-49.jpg

005-47.jpg

003-52.jpg

004-42.jpg

008-53.jpg

rikbb

Familiar Face
very nice indeed!

It's a very nice jacket, the colour varies a bit between the two photos of you wearing it. But looking at the other photos i guess it's rather yellow brown in colour. I really like the dropping colour points. Take well care of it, this one will last.

aswatland

Thanks for the thumbs up guys. I guess the jacket was hardly worn if at all in the War and stored in a moth proof box for the last 65 years.

Edward

Bartender
That's what it looks like... it has to be the best presevered original in existence. The really amazing thing is how well preserved the knits are. Good find - and all the better that it's become part of a collection where it will be properly preserved. It's important, IMO, that these historical artefacts are preserved for posterity rather than ending up rotting away in an attic somewhere.

aswatland

It also will only get very occasional wear to the odd airshow as I don't want to damage it. I too have not seen an original A2 in such wonderful, almost un issued condition.

aswatland

I have currently customized rough track suit. This is a FIA approved speedy racer track suit. It provides me a good comfort and better heat insulation at the time of racing. I have heard about your model. Last week my friend brought it at the price of $200.

and the connection with my Star A2 is......?:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24