Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpaca aviator vest

wdw

One Too Many
@Otter, yeah, the Paramo gilet was a major leap forward in warming up in the mountains. No more taking your jacket off in a howling gale to add a fleece. So simple it's amazing no one thought of it before.

We wear ours much more than the full jacket version as it's so much more flexible.

Ralph Chen

Familiar Face
2016 vest plus photo from other forum .. :)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
I don't typically much care for the down vest stuff, but these look pretty cool, and actually wearable with my look.

Roma

A-List Customer
Are those Freewheeler? I'd been looking to buy one before the winter till the moment I realised every store had run out of my size. I ended up buying an Iron Heart alpaca vest in a size up to be able to wear it over my leathers. It worked fine.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I've been like a few others in this thread; I've wanted one of these since I first saw them but I've never been able to track one down in my size. Futher the Freewheelers largest size, a 44, looked to be a gamble on whether it would be big enough based on its quite slim measurments.

...Also given the Freewheelers pricing it would've had to be something I would wear 'a lot' to justify it.

I can't remember how I came across it but I saw a post of one online recently, did some searching, and it seems Bob Dong now has a very similar vest they call the WW2 USN Mens US Navy Aviator vest.

Found some on Aliexpress and at $150 it seemed worth a gamble (I'd been tempted with the Iron Heart one myself but prefered the style of this). Took just over 2 weeks to arrive.

Lining is 95% wool and the whipcord material on the outer feels just the same as my Pike Bros N-1. I'll try to take some decent photos of it in the next few days.

I'm a 44" chest as mentioned but know (from bitter experience!) how measurments can differ. I went with the XXL and its plenty roomy. I figured if the measurments were missleading then it might be something I'd just wear over a sweater but its just about perfect over a light jacket. Constuction looks good, tallon zips, If I were picky then the only thing that lets it down is some of the buttons don't look that well stiched on.

All in all, really pleased with it so thought I'd give it a mention.

Been a bit of a non event jacket wise this summer here in the UK and while I'm not wishing the warmer weather away, it will be nice to wear a jacket again once in a while including this one.

Edward

Bartender
Bronson do a much more affordable version of this now, I'd buy it but they're still not doing "Western" sizes.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Bronson do a much more affordable version of this now, I'd buy it but they're still not doing "Western" sizes.

Have you got a link? I'd be curious to see it and I can't find it on their site.

I see I never did post any photos of the vest I did buy but its had a fair bit of wear over the past year and is quite useful for weekends away when you don't know which way the weather will go.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Oh right, thanks.

Yes thats the one I have from a couple of years back. Well made and a good deal for the price.
Does come up slightly larger than the measurments there sudgest, at least mine did.

Edward

Bartender
Recently I found those oblique line jacket design very charming like langlitz cascade , death head or those Japanese made vest
View attachment 47781

I love this look. Did look into the Japanese one a while ago - £800 in Son of a Stag. Yeesh. The Bronson version was much more accessibly priced, though I didn't risk ordering one because I'm pretty sure I'd need just one size above the top end of their range. I wish this was something more places would do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran