Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha A2 fit pic

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I was joking, of course, but Seb gets it right: the style is a very simple, uncluttered one, so it doesn't take much to make it look 'off'.

I always thought the reason they didn't have side-entry pockets was because the top brass didn't want them wandering around with their hands stuck in them.

Both statements are true and illustrate the prime reasons for the popularity of the snug, trim fitting A-2 as perhaps the best knit leather jacket ever designed. The first statement applies to the Aero Cafer Racer / Sheene and Board Racer as perhaps the best of the non-knit jackets. However, as Sloan said "it doesn't take much to make it look 'off'."

Last edited:

Cocker

Practically Family
Sure, side entry pockets somewhat detracts on the A-2 look, and that was why I was so hesitant in the first place. But I found out I could do with them. I mean, they do are practicable! This is the only gripes I have with A-2, the lack of pockets. Sure, if you have a pair of trousers with cargo pockets, this issue is somewhat voided, but with a pair of jeans... I always have to carry both of my work access badges, car keys, cigs and zippo, mobile phone, wallet... ^^

Anyway, still looking for the QMI A-2, and pondering if an Aero would be doable anytime soon.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Cocker said:
...cigs and zippo...
Nobody should moan about how they can't afford a top end flight jacket if they smoke, drink, or drive a 12 mpg truck or SUV (or in many cases, all three of those things). I'm not joking; get out your calculator and add up a year's spending on cancer sticks. Let's say $5.50 per pack, once a week (probably conservative), 52 weeks = $286. Compare with price of G&B USAF A-2 (current issue jacket, no side entry pockets) = $398. The difference is $112, which is probably less than what you were thinking of paying for the lesser-than-G&B jacket posted at the start of this thread. Plus you'd be more likely to live longer and play with your grandkids instead of being a photo on the wall. You're welcome.

Last edited:

Cocker

Practically Family
Did I complained? I don't think so. Just stated that a high end repro will not be affordable for now, and that's about it. No complain, no tears, plain simple facts, that's it. I stand by my choices and opinions.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Much as I love Is She Really Going Out With Him, I'd no more taking the word of a pop star on the subject of smoking as I would a doctor on what makes a decent middle eight. But still, let's remember Joe when he was cool(ish). Sort of a low-cal Elvis Costello

[video=youtube;6TzKSFbsh2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TzKSFbsh2Y[/video]

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Cigarettes are so cheap in the US. We pay $20-30 a pack. About a dollar a cig. Well, I don't - not for many years. First packet I bought cost 60 cents. I know people who spend $8000 a year on this. Now that's several good A2's.

Cocker

Practically Family
20-30$ a pack?? Where's that? Just got back from Atlanta, and they were cheaper than in Belgium, around 5$ a pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL