Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha Industries M65 Field Jacket

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
In the mail today arrived a Mil-Tec brand M-65 in tan which I ordered from a UK seller. Details are amazing, basically a dead copy of the late-production military jackets, really a fine quality garment and underpriced to my mind. I haven't handled an Alpha but I doubt they're better, at least from what I've seen in photos, and Alpha is 3X more. I got the tan and it's a nice light cream colour, lighter than my Rothco, and very Schimanski! Last year I was eyeballing an M-1951 jacket repro that Mil-Tec had but the seller raised the price before I made up my mind... had I know that Mil-Tec's stuff was so well made I would have bought it in a snap. I'll definitely get another of these M-65 repros from this brand once I move on some stuff I don't want to keep.

mil-tec-us-style-m65-field-jacket-with-liner khaki.jpg

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
@Doctor Damage I like it, especially as it came with a liner. I bought a liner last year for one of my field jackets that was issued without it. Forgot about it, and didn't wear it during the winter to see how warm it is. In feeling the polyester batting, I think it will add plenty of warmth. My other field jacket has an original thick liner that is plenty warm, but at the expense of bulk.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
This afternoon I cut the shoulder straps (and associated buttons) off my cheap-o Rothco M-65 and it really does transform the look of the thing, in a highly positive way. The shoulder straps emphasized (in a bad way) the one-size-fits-all nature of these jackets* but with them gone it looks like it fits me!

* Yeah, I realize they come in several sizes, not one, but it's military stuff which means it fits no one well.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
In the mail today arrived a Mil-Tec brand M-65 in tan which I ordered from a UK seller. Details are amazing, basically a dead copy of the late-production military jackets, really a fine quality garment and underpriced to my mind. I haven't handled an Alpha but I doubt they're better, at least from what I've seen in photos, and Alpha is 3X more. I got the tan and it's a nice light cream colour, lighter than my Rothco, and very Schimanski! Last year I was eyeballing an M-1951 jacket repro that Mil-Tec had but the seller raised the price before I made up my mind... had I know that Mil-Tec's stuff was so well made I would have bought it in a snap. I'll definitely get another of these M-65 repros from this brand once I move on some stuff I don't want to keep.

View attachment 343098

Interesting to hear about positive experience with this MilTec; I've been considering one of their orange-liner MA1s for a while. A lot of stuff that looks nice from them for very reasonable money. I know there are better MA1s coming in from Japan, but I don't think I'd get sufficient use out of one to justify paying RMXC type money for one. Still a bit wary for being mistaken for a skinhead in an MA1 in black or green especially. Not that I have any objection to true skinhead culture, but alas it's all too readily associated with neonaziism even now in the UK.

This afternoon I cut the shoulder straps (and associated buttons) off my cheap-o Rothco M-65 and it really does transform the look of the thing, in a highly positive way. The shoulder straps emphasized (in a bad way) the one-size-fits-all nature of these jackets* but with them gone it looks like it fits me!

* Yeah, I realize they come in several sizes, not one, but it's military stuff which means it fits no one well.

Rothco sound like they can be hit and miss - pity, as memory serves they were an original contractor for much of this stuff, alongside Alpha.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Interesting to hear about positive experience with this MilTec; I've been considering one of their orange-liner MA1s for a while. A lot of stuff that looks nice from them for very reasonable money. I know there are better MA1s coming in from Japan, but I don't think I'd get sufficient use out of one to justify paying RMXC type money for one. Still a bit wary for being mistaken for a skinhead in an MA1 in black or green especially. Not that I have any objection to true skinhead culture, but alas it's all too readily associated with neonaziism even now in the UK
The only experience I have with Mil-Tec is their M-65 jacket and their M51 fishtail parka repro. I had one of the latter for a couple weeks back in winter and it was excellently made, very authentic in appearance, but a bad fit for me and not heavy enough for Canadian winter so I sold it on. But very well made. I have no idea what their other stuff is like.
Rothco sound like they can be hit and miss - pity, as memory serves they were an original contractor for much of this stuff, alongside Alpha.
To be clear, my Rothco jacket is every well made, similar construction quality as the Mil-Tec, but the shell is lighter, the breast pockets are too small for 'authenticity' (not that I fuss too much about that), the zippers are a bit clunkier, the velcro throat flap is wrongly positioned and doesn't work (I'd never use it anyways), and overall it's a couple notches lower than the Mil-Tec on the 'quality' scale I guess you could say. But it's plenty good for me as a daily driver, and I expect to get a lot of use out of it once the weather cools down again in October.

Edit: Let me expand on this a bit. The Mil-Tec jacket is better in every respect. It's the one to get, unless there's a huge difference in price depending on where you live (for me they're roughly the same price so it's a no-brainer, get the Mil-Tec). The Rothco is not junk though, and the lighter shell will be better for warmer weather. One thing is weird: the foldaway hood on the Rothco is installed far better than the Mil-Tec; the Rothco is superbly well finished inside the collar, but the other coat is a total mess. As for Alpha, which of course makes these jackets too, I haven't handled one, but for where I'm located getting an Alpha would cost nearly 3x (!!!!!!!) the cost of the Mil-Tec with no obvious superiority other than the military correct 50/50 cotton/nylon cloth instead of Mil-Tec's cotton/poly, so just get the Mil-Tec. Plus the Mil-Tec (and indeed the Rothco too) come in a variety of colours/patterns, whereas Alpha comes in two.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Edit: Let me expand on this a bit. The Mil-Tec jacket is better in every respect. It's the one to get, unless there's a huge difference in price depending on where you live (for me they're roughly the same price so it's a no-brainer, get the Mil-Tec). The Rothco is not junk though, and the lighter shell will be better for warmer weather. One thing is weird: the foldaway hood on the Rothco is installed far better than the Mil-Tec; the Rothco is superbly well finished inside the collar, but the other coat is a total mess. As for Alpha, which of course makes these jackets too, I haven't handled one, but for where I'm located getting an Alpha would cost nearly 3x (!!!!!!!) the cost of the Mil-Tec with no obvious superiority other than the military correct 50/50 cotton/nylon cloth instead of Mil-Tec's cotton/poly, so just get the Mil-Tec. Plus the Mil-Tec (and indeed the Rothco too) come in a variety of colours/patterns, whereas Alpha comes in two.

Looking again at the spec for the Miltec, alas it's a plastic zip, which is a deal-breaker for me... FRom what you say, though, I might well have a look at the Rothco. I live near Silvermans where they sell them for the same price as I see them online (around £65), so I could try one on there. Half the price of the Alpha. The Alpha itself doesn't look too bad, but I don't like their embroidered logo on the jacket (even if only same-colour and on the internal windflap), and the colour looks way off to my eye. The Rothco seems to have a more authentic look overall. Interestingly, Rothco seem also to do two versions - one the standard, the other "lightweight". I'm guessing the latter is uninsulated - basically the same as the version of the L2B that came with pocket flaps and without epaulettes... Interesting they don't market it that way, but I guess MA1 is the much better-known fashion designation, rather than appealing to flight-jacket hobbyists like us...

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Looking again at the spec for the Miltec, alas it's a plastic zip, which is a deal-breaker for me... FRom what you say, though, I might well have a look at the Rothco. I live near Silvermans where they sell them for the same price as I see them online (around £65), so I could try one on there. Half the price of the Alpha. The Alpha itself doesn't look too bad, but I don't like their embroidered logo on the jacket (even if only same-colour and on the internal windflap), and the colour looks way off to my eye. The Rothco seems to have a more authentic look overall. Interestingly, Rothco seem also to do two versions - one the standard, the other "lightweight". I'm guessing the latter is uninsulated - basically the same as the version of the L2B that came with pocket flaps and without epaulettes... Interesting they don't market it that way, but I guess MA1 is the much better-known fashion designation, rather than appealing to flight-jacket hobbyists like us...
The Mil-Tec I just got has metal zippers on the main zip and the collar, both run really smooth and easily. Perhaps they make a downgraded version? I have seen some on ebay with plastic zips. I ordered mine from this ebay seller (Peacoat delete if we're not supposed to link to individual sellers): LINK. The shell on this one is a heavy twill, whereas the Rothco and Alpha are both a non-twill cloth of some kind. Rothco also does a "vintage" version made out of a pre-washed/aged 100% cotton which you can see in photos and is distinguished by two velcro strips above the breast pockets. The removable lining of my Rothco is horrible quality, the Mil-Tec one is much better.

Anyways, there's no substitute for trying stuff on and/or handling it in person, so if you can get out of a store like Silverman's then do so.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Edward.... another option since you're in the UK is the jacket I got from the following e-bay seller:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/171797288715

I had forgotten I had once since it's a size too big and I had it in the back seat of my car for the last 6 months with the intention of eventually dropping it off at a thrift store. I took another look at it today, now that I've got a Rothco and Mil-Tec to compare it with, and it compares well. The best part is the shell, which is a thick, tough cotton/poly blend, and the liner is pretty thick too, and I can tell the overall combo would be fine for a Canadian winter. It has the same shortish breast pockets like the Rothco, but the throat latch is long and works well unlike the Rothco; the only negative is the right-hand half of the zipper is mounted right at the edge of the cloth when it should be back a half or full inch and so it makes the zipper more difficult to start and when the jacket is flapping open the collar doesn't sit evenly; both zippers are brass, though.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Propper, the longtime military supplier, now has an M-65 repro they're selling. You can find them on the US e-bay site if you do a search. I have seen some photos and they appear to be a copy of the last mil-spec version with the fold-down hand protector flaps deleted, which would be fine since they're useless.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I ordered one of those Tru-Spec jackets, in tan. It arrived today. It's based on the "K" mil-spec, the last military specification, which has slightly shorter breast pockets and most notably deletes the fold-down hand protector flaps. It's well made, of a correct 50/50 nylon/cotton shell (sort of a sateen), with a really beautiful quilted liner (the blended cloth used for the liner is almost better than the shell, haha). Brass zips all 'round, it even has a pull-tap for the collar zip. The only negative is the velcro tabs on the cuffs are small and difficult to use, but that's also correct for that K spec, at least based on the photos I've seen. Here's the tag.

1836.jpg

Here's the measurements for the three M-65 repro jackets I now have. As you can see, despite all three being Medium, the measurements vary quite a bit.

m65repros.jpg

Of these three, the Mil-Tec is unquestionably the best in every respect, followed closely by the Tru-Spec, with the Rothco trailing some distance.

I guess I'm missing a Propper, Alpha, and a low-cost version that is available from the UK. I might pick up one of the latter, which I had gotten last year but in Large which was too big for me. I doubt I'll ever find an Alpha in the tan I prefer, and Propper is only available in olive and woodland camo.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Some further comments on the three repro jackets I have. The Mil-Tec jacket is snug around the shoulders (the bi-swing back gaps), it's too snug in the chest to wear with the removable liner, and the sleeves are an inch too short to be wearable (they're long enough but not long enough, if you know what I mean). It's beautifully made, but for those reasons I'll move it on. The Tru-Spec jacket is also snug around the shoulders, but fine otherwise so I'll keep it. The drawstring for the waist is pretty high on both. The Rothco, though the least "accurate" of the three, is the roomiest (which means no gapping of the bi-swing back and room for layering), and I like the lighter shell (good for a broader range of temperatures), making it the best daily driver of the three for me. I was thinking of perhaps adding an Alpha or Helikon jacket, but at this point I'm not going to bother since the ones with the more accurate military fit are not good for me. I get another of these repro jackets in the future it will definitely be a Rothco, probably in the navy blue or perhaps a camo.

Peacoat

Bartender
@Doctor Damage this has probably been discussed earlier, but why not go with an original issue field jacket? I have two of them. They are well made and the fit is spot on (for me). With the hundreds of thousands that have been issued over the years, they ought to be readily available and inexpensive.

Just wondering why the lack of interest in these issue M-65s. Or maybe they are discussed elsewhere, and I don't remember the discussion?

Although I will have to say, I like that tan version, and it isn't available in an orginal issue jacket.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
@Doctor Damage this has probably been discussed earlier, but why not go with an original issue field jacket? I have two of them. They are well made and the fit is spot on (for me). With the hundreds of thousands that have been issued over the years, they ought to be readily available and inexpensive.

Just wondering why the lack of interest in these issue M-65s. Or maybe they are discussed elsewhere, and I don't remember the discussion?

Although I will have to say, I like that tan version, and it isn't available in an orginal issue jacket.
I remember our discussion and you're quite right. I simply wanted to avoid the green, which is the only colour the military ones came in (other than camo), and which to my eye is too 'army surplus' for my tastes, although when I was younger it would have been ideal. The tan I can wear with almost anything.

If I would get the original U.S. Army-spec Helikon, I would of course have to choose the S, but even then, it would be to roomy for me. :D
They got an XS, which maybe fits best on me.

SIZE (CM) XS - S - M - L - XL - XXL - XXXL
Chest circumference 108 - 116 - 124 -132 - 140 - 148 - 156

Sleeve length 63 - 64 - 65 - 66 - 67 - 68 - 69

Full length (back) 76 - 78 - 80 - 82 - 82 - 84 - 84

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112