Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha Industries M65 Field Jacket

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's the official measurements (and drawings) from the military spec document MIL-DTL-43455K, dated August 2007 (surprisingly recent!). I can't find a newer spec document, so I guess the K version is the last for these coats.

MIL-DTL-43455K measurements.jpg
MIL-DTL-43455K drawings.jpg

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I think this may have been talked about back in the thread, but I'm too lazy to look. Anyone prefer one breast pocket size over another? I know pocket size indicates one era or another. I have one with the smaller breast pockets, and even those can be a hassle to get something out of the bottom of them. I always think I'm going to either rip the stitching from the top corners, or if the stitching is too secure, start a rip in the jacket itself. I can see why the giant ones could be handy, but my arms aren't long or lanky enough.

Fifty150

One Too Many
From a practical point of view, as someone who has actually worn M-65 jackets for decades in cold environments, the extra roomy fit is necessary. When it's cold, you need to wear layers under the jacket. And unless you stand perfectly still with your arms at your side, you have to be able to move and be active. Running, climbing walls, crawling along the ground, digging trenches, fighting. Can't do anything in tight clothes.

In today's world, M-65 is no longer US military issued. Most people are not working for a civilian police, private military industry, or 3rd world military where you can still get an issued M-65. With modern options of Gore-Tex shells with zip in fleece liners in the civilian marketplace offering superior weather resistance; why would anyone spend money on 1965 technology?

From a practical point of view, as someone who has actually worn M-65 jackets for decades in cold environments, the extra roomy fit is necessary. When it's cold, you need to wear layers under the jacket. And unless you stand perfectly still with your arms at your side, you have to be able to move and be active. Running, climbing walls, crawling along the ground, digging trenches, fighting. Can't do anything in tight clothes.

In today's world, M-65 is no longer US military issued. Most people are not working for a civilian police, private military industry, or 3rd world military where you can still get an issued M-65. With modern options of Gore-Tex shells with zip in fleece liners in the civilian marketplace offering superior weather resistance; why would anyone spend money on 1965 technology?

Yeah, everything got its time.
I think, the only way to upgrade M65 for today is to reduce the weight significant.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Modern technology. The military continually changes the cold weather gear with modern technology. The only people who buy 1965 tech are nostalgic civilians.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana