Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha USA 'Replica' MA1 Flying Jacket 10/10

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just received this beauty today (compliments the sage one I picked up last year). Alpha USA 'Replica' MA1 Flying Jacket in dark (midnight) blue. Great jacket, heavy but not too much so, the quality is superb IMHO. The shell appears a decent thick nylon, wool knits, has a wool / cotton / nylon interlining & zips etc seem very robust. This one needs the cuffs replacing, they are totally 'blown' & limp & no longer do their job, will pick up some decent wool ones. Waistband has a few snags that need darning. Will need a light clean to the shell, seller (e-bay) wanted to wash it prior to sending & I requested he didn't (fears of it ending up machine washed). I have one of these that appears to have been machine washed: knits have 'felted' & shell feels tighter. This one is 'unwashed' & is already booked in for the above jobs. Should be a regular wearer when finished. Being blue I'll be able to wear it where places I wouldn't wear a sage one (such as work).
The fit is very good, spacious across the shoulders and chest though not too big & at 5.10 the length is good for me....short but not too short. :)

IMG_0467.jpg IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's my new Alpha Replica MA-1 which just arrived today. It had original tags attached and is in unworn condition, although it must have been stored carelessly as it has a few small bits of crud stuck on the front and back which should come out at the dry cleaners. I was a bit wary of the grey colour, but it's actually a dark grey which is perfect. Construction quality and the quality of materials is excellent and the sleeves don't have that seam puckering which the regular Alpha jackets seem to have. I'm super happy with this jacket and it will certainly get much use next winter, no question!

And many thanks to BN1966 who provided useful comments on the original e-Bay listing for this jacket.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
At least on my monitor that jacket's color appears to be very close to that of the first edition originals. Early MA-1s and L-2Bs were much more grey than green.
That explains the old jackets that I've seen on various websites, and posted here, which rarely look green. I had assumed they were just heavily faded.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
You are a lucky man to have those old jackets in such good condition. I see a lot going past on e-Bay but most have been badly chewed up and spit out, or are priced at $250+ which I guess is reasonable for an original but not as a daily driver. I found another tag inside my repro and the colour is apparently "gunmetal gray" and I think it's even darker than your originals. And the fit is superb for me: narrow but longish torso and quite long arms - no matador stuff. The interlining is 46% wool 43% cotton 11% nylon which makes it quite thin, plus the wind flap is very rigid which I like.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Got the replica jacket back from the dry cleaners. Taking it for cleaning was a mistake since now the sleeves seem to fit a bit differently and the armholes seem a bit smaller. One of our members thinks it might have been the wool/cotton insulation shrinking. I shall never know of course, but the near-perfect fit is now okay fit (sigh). At least the two small stains on the back are gone.

Edward

Bartender
I'd avoid drycleaners in favour of a good spot-cleaner and Febreze.... [huh]

A B-series Rolen L-2b and a B-series Ownbey MA-1. Both appear almost as grey as the jacket you bought.

wisconsin127.jpg

wisconsin163.jpg

AF

Is that what was officially labelled "Sage Green" when they reintroduced green for the B15D, as distinct from the Olive Green of the B15B and earlier?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Is that what was officially labelled "Sage Green" when they reintroduced green for the B15D, as distinct from the Olive Green of the B15B and earlier?

Edward, I'm pretty sure it is. In fact, I’ve always been of the opinion that the first edition MA-1 was nothing more than a re-tagged B-15D (MOD). But the later (1960s and 1970s) jackets were technically sage green, also. I think sage green just got a little "greener" with each succeeding contract.

AF

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I noticed that the green of my 80s MA-1 is measurably 'brighter' than up to date N-3, which is a visibly softer green.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, I'm pretty sure it is. In fact, I’ve always been of the opinion that the first edition MA-1 was nothing more than a re-tagged B-15D (MOD). But the later (1960s and 1970s) jackets were technically sage green, also. I think sage green just got a little "greener" with each succeeding contract.

AF

I'd agree with you re the B15D - I can't see any difference between that and the first issue MA1, bar the obvious labelling.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's an online store in Brooklyn which claims to have some of the recent Alpha Replica jackets in green. These are the ones like I have in dark grey and they're exceptionally solid and heavy jackets, although styled a bit slim and long for a younger buyer and with different knits than the classics.

http://www.bdus.com/mjm21220c1.html

mihai

A-List Customer
I don't get why Alpha names these jackets 'Replica' when they don't even have the same cut as orig MA-1. I was thinking of purchasing one of these modern "replicas" when I saw your comments about different fit. It is quite misleading.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
mihai said:
I don't get why Alpha names these jackets 'Replica' when they don't even have the same cut as orig MA-1. I was thinking of purchasing one of these modern "replicas" when I saw your comments about different fit. It is quite misleading.
They fit like the recent Reissue jackets - nice jackets, good details, but yes a thinner longer fit for a younger buyer. I agree the name "replica" is misleading. However, the overall quality and the heavy wool/cotton insulation makes these awesome for someone who isn't concerned about original cut. They really are good jackets and just right for taller, skinny men for whom the matador look doesn't work.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou