Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Always Coca-Cola? Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing!

swinggal

One Too Many
I have glass bottle of real sugared coke in my fridge right now. You can buy glass, plastic or can here. If I can't get glass I will always buy the can. It all tastes rank in a plastic bottle.

Too much sugar is indeed bad for you but corn syrup is way worse. It goes directly to the liver which releases enzymes which tell the body to store fat!! And unlike sugar, it fructose doesn't stimulate the production of insulin - which gives you the feeling of being full...so people are over-drinking and eating. So yeah, it's waaay worse than sugar. People actually gain weight whereas they may not have before.

So if you are in US, try and buy products that use real sugar whenever you buy the sweet stuff.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Every now and again the soda companies get it straight that savvy consumers by far enjoy cane sugar over corn syrup, and thus, they release "special editions" with sugar. Dr. Pepper has done it, Mt. Dew, Coke, Pepsi, and Royal Crown (aka RC Cola). I'm sure there have been some others...

Currently, I drink Mexican Coke because it's available in my local stores and it's so much better. It has a flavor that's hard to put your thumb on, but it's something you can enjoy without going overboard.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
Every now and again the soda companies get it straight that savvy consumers by far enjoy cane sugar over corn syrup, and thus, they release "special editions" with sugar. Dr. Pepper has done it, Mt. Dew, Coke, Pepsi, and Royal Crown (aka RC Cola). I'm sure there have been some others...

Currently, I drink Mexican Coke because it's available in my local stores and it's so much better. It has a flavor that's hard to put your thumb on, but it's something you can enjoy without going overboard.
Only problem is that there is never a bottle opener near when you need one

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage lover said:
Only problem is that there is never a bottle opener near when you need one

Which is EXACTLY why I keep one with me at all times! lol
Not for beer bottles, mind you, but any rare chance I get to open a nice cold coke.

I also have a number of them in my silverware drawer.;)

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Bruce Wayne said:
That is why you carry either a multi tool or a Swiss Army Knife.
I am like Sinatra, in the fact that I can't stand crowded pockets. I can barley tolerate carrying my cell phone and lighter at the same time, and have only my car keys and one of my house keys on my key chain. (Sinatra had it so everything he owned worked on a single key he carried)

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
Some of the "alternative" soda companies still use glass, but it's not proper refillable glass, and it's much more fragile and dangerous. I got gashed in the leg quite badly a couple weeks ago when a bottle of Izze literally exploded while I was restocking the cooler at work, and threw glass shards everywhere. Not fun.

I recall a report early on during the bottle changeovers that the plastic and class recyclable , read disposable, bottles couldn't handle the old carbonation levels and they reduced it. This resulted in the loss of that familiar CO2 burn you got form your Coke as a kid. Add to that the slicker taste of corn sugar and you get an inferior product for my taste.
Tom D.

James71

A-List Customer
It may already have been said, and I dont have time to read this whole thread, but coke is still all cane sugar here. I know its bad for me, but I love it. Particularly fortified.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We don't have Mexican Coke here, which as just as well -- I drink enough of the local product as it is. And my preference is one I haven't yet seen in this thread -- given a choice, I prefer fountain Coke to cans, bottles, or any other kind. But it has to be served properly -- in a small glass, with chipped ice. I make do most of the time with paper cups since that's what we have at work, but I make sure our fountain is correctly calibrated -- the Coke rep inspects and tests it on request, and I watch to make sure it's done right. Properly mixed and properly served, there's nothing so refreshing as a fountain Coke.

Interestingly, Asa Candler -- the man who made Coca-Cola what it is today -- *hated* bottled Coke. He never wanted to allow it to be bottled, because he was sure local bottlers would adulterate it and ruin its reputation, or that it would go stale in warehouses, and he resisted the idea of granting bottling franchises for as long as he could get away with it. Even after that he insisted that the company's fountain division be directly responsible to his office, and that it have nothing whatsoever to do with the independent bottlers, who he considered riff-raff and trash who would ultimately ruin his product.

He would not have approved of corn syrup.

James71

A-List Customer
I like coke in pretty much anything but plastic, and Lizzie is correct, there is nothing as good as coke from the pub over crushed ice in a schooner glass.

(again... preferrably fortified....)

At home I refuse to have it in plastic. I keep the fridge in the studio stocked with cans, kept very very cold. Ideally it *just* starts to get a little icey when you pour it out of the can. The addition of a shot of room temperature Gentleman Jack brings it to just about the perfect temp.

I dont like coke in the USA. It just tastes "wrong" to someone raised on the cane sugar version.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm having a bottle right now, but it's just your standard, high fructose corn syrup fare... I've got to get myself real sugar Coca Cola someday. I rarely drink soda anymore, but when I do, I make it a point to avoid those diet ones.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
I stumbled on this thread today, and just had to stop at the grocery store on the way home to pick up some Mexican Coca-cola (in glass bottles)! They've carried it for at least the last couple of years, but I stopped buying it because it cost's more and I was drinking too much anyway. I'm enjoying one now, and I have to say, I can definitely taste the difference, and it's better with real sugar.

Off topic: It's been a while since I dropped in here, and I have to say I love the new look!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass