Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Always Coca-Cola? Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing!

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Vintage lover said:
My personal favorite is the Dr. Pepper with the real sugar. Saw some at a local super market a while back in tall cans. Wish I could run across them again
And speak of the devil look what I saw and bought today at wal-mart!
dscf0352v.jpg

dscf0353j.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
All soft drinks in Australia are made with sugar (apart from diets ones). What is it with the US and corn syrup?? Fancy having to have 'made with sugar' written on a can of soft drink. That is crazy! And yeah, Coke tastes bleh in the US.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
swinggal said:
What is it with the US and corn syrup??

Adding CS to soda is a cheaper sweetner that adding sugar, ergo, more profit for the company. The soda companies claim they did tests & no one can taste the difference. The thing is though, while both sugar & HFCS are both bad for you, you process the HFCS differently than you would the sugar.

Chainsaw

Suspended
I'm not sure how this relates to soft drinks, but corn syrup is used in place of sugar most times because it is in fact a lot less sweeter then sugar. It has the same properties as sugar though, and is good for cooking etc.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Bruce Wayne said:
Adding CS to soda is a cheaper sweetner that adding sugar, ergo, more profit for the company. The soda companies claim they did tests & no one can taste the difference. The thing is though, while both sugar & HFCS are both bad for you, you process the HFCS differently than you would the sugar.

I dunno where they did the tests, but they never asked me for my opinon. I can remember very clearly the changeover between sugar Coke and corn-syrup Coke -- it varied depending on the bottler, but in most places it happened in the early '80s (well before the New Coke debacle, despite urban myths to the contrary), and I could tell the difference even thought I didn't actually know about the sweetener change. It took a while before fountain syrup was changed to corn-syrup sweetener, and the contrast between fountain Coke made with sugar and bottled Coke made with corn syrup was very obvious.

It was all about money. At that point in time, sugar prices were up sharply, and the only way bottlers could maintain their price point was by cutting the cost. Bottlers don't buy finished syrup -- they buy concentrate, which they mix with water and sweetener to make the syrup, which then is mixed with carbonated water to make the actual soda. So the bottlers, not Coca Cola itself, were the ones getting hit with the rising cost, and Coke gave them the option of using sugar or corn syrup, whichever they preferred. It was only after pretty much all bottlers had changed over that Coke's fountain syrup division began using corn syrup.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
I dunno where they did the tests, but they never asked me for my opinon. I can remember very clearly the changeover between sugar Coke and corn-syrup Coke -- it varied depending on the bottler, but in most places it happened in the early '80s (well before the New Coke debacle, despite urban myths to the contrary), and I could tell the difference even thought I didn't actually know about the sweetener change. It took a while before fountain syrup was changed to corn-syrup sweetener, and the contrast between fountain Coke made with sugar and bottled Coke made with corn syrup was very obvious.

It was all about money. At that point in time, sugar prices were up sharply, and the only way bottlers could maintain their price point was by cutting the cost. Bottlers don't buy finished syrup -- they buy concentrate, which they mix with water and sweetener to make the syrup, which then is mixed with carbonated water to make the actual soda. So the bottlers, not Coca Cola itself, were the ones getting hit with the rising cost, and Coke gave them the option of using sugar or corn syrup, whichever they preferred. It was only after pretty much all bottlers had changed over that Coke's fountain syrup division began using corn syrup.
So I guess the reason you can get real sugar soda in Mexico but not the USA is due to the choices of bottling companies. Thanks for the info!

THe flavor difference is very apparent between corn syrup and cane sugar to me. There are dieticians that warn people not to consume high fructose corn syrup but I don't recall what the health detriments are at this time.

dr greg

One Too Many
the experts tell us

John in Covina said:
THe flavor difference is very apparent between corn syrup and cane sugar to me. There are dieticians that warn people not to consume high fructose corn syrup but I don't recall what the health detriments are at this time.
http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/fructose_dangers.html
Don't drink anything fizzy that isn't fermented naturally maself, but it's a minority position I believe.
I lie there, I've been known to consume tonic with gin occasionally but the exception makes the rule!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
swinggal said:
All soft drinks in Australia are made with sugar (apart from diets ones). What is it with the US and corn syrup?? Fancy having to have 'made with sugar' written on a can of soft drink. That is crazy! And yeah, Coke tastes bleh in the US.

I believe its the high US taxes on imported sugar.
We do grow a lot of corn.

There are claims that the increase of High Fructose CornSyrup in the American diet has increased chances of Pancreatic cancer. Of course there are those who disagree.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idAFN0210830520100802

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:

Some say its the cause for the nation's current childhood obesity dilemma as the fructose does not metabolize the same as sucrose. Moderation would work, but its become too common an ingredient to avoid:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1841910,00.html

and theres some concern about Pancreatic cancer
http://www.reuters.com/article/idAFN0210830520100802

Oh, and liver problems too.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100322204628.htm

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
There was a commercial out saying hey, its made out of corn! Whats so bad about that? Its natural!
But the fact is, you can make lots of inedible things out of processed corn. Plastic can be made out of processed corn.

I imagine a lot or this will resolve if & when manufacturers decide its more lucrative to make biofuels out of corn & put the sugar back into coke.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in short, I believe I can summarize what the majority of us want: GLASS BOTTLED SODAS MADE WITH REAL SUGAR. If I am correct, I say we start sending petitions to our local bottling companies, who's with me? Btw, would glass bottles be better for recycling and therefore for the environment? If they are, than that would be yet another plus in addition to the better taste. (Not that I am exactly an environmentalist)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've asked our local Coke rep exactly that question about glass bottles -- and the answer I get is "weight." Full or empty, glass is heavier than plastic, and it costs more to ship. Plus, grocers don't like glass -- it's heavier to move around in the store and the issue of breakage is ever-present. If you ever saw a 64 ounce refillable glass soda bottle, it took two hands to lift it, and you could ruin your back lifting a case of them.

We had refillable glass bottles in Maine until the late '80s -- we've had a returnable bottle law since 1976. But the bottling and grocery industries complained for years about the increased shipping and handling costs, and when plastic soda bottles were introduced around 1988, they jumped on that bandwagon and never looked back.

Some of the "alternative" soda companies still use glass, but it's not proper refillable glass, and it's much more fragile and dangerous. I got gashed in the leg quite badly a couple weeks ago when a bottle of Izze literally exploded while I was restocking the cooler at work, and threw glass shards everywhere. Not fun.

If it were up to me, there would only be two options for Coke: 6 ounce refillable glass bottles, and fountain service. But they won't listen to my perfectly reasonable suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner