Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I wearing a Nazi suit?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
If you google wien and "zur englischen flotte" - and if you can make some sense of German texts -, you'll see that the "purveyor of collars" called "Zur englischen Flotte" changed this name to "Zur Flotte" during WWI already, inevitably attracting some mockery from writer and journalist Karl Kraus. They probably changed it back later.

Dieter

New in Town
fanucci said:
Kärntnerstrasse is Bezirk 1, which is city centre. Among other parts of Vienna, this zone was "ruled" by all allies, with a monthly turn in government.

Well, there's the answer, Mike. Your suit was made between 1945 and 1955, which was yet another very interesting time in Austrian history. Wear it in good health, and may all the memories you make in that suit be good ones. :eusa_clap

Micawber

A-List Customer
Could a suit be a member of the NSDAP in its own right? ;)

...on second thoughts it's probably best not to get involved with that.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Actually I think the thread about the mystery woman, who was finally amazingly identified by Vintage Betty, has to remain number one. But this is right up there with the thread about the suit that belonged to the guy that disappeared.
Soon we'll be able to glean DNA, and identify every person who ever touched the suit, and all their descendants.
So, if it was made between 1945 and 1955, it could have been worn by . . . The Third Man! No bullet holes, right?
Edit: Oh, you said best ever TITLE. My mistake. Yes, cool title.

GBR

One of the Regulars
I doubt it has the implied overtones you suggest.

However can you post some more pictures of its features - or at least describe them.

For example inside the jacket - what pockets (and style) does it have, full lining I assume.

Rear - vented?

Trousers again pockets front/side rear. How do any back pockets fasten?
Button fly?
Braces/rise etc?
Cut generally and turn ups.

It may fro this and other details pf style be possible to date/place it.

Dieter

New in Town
Baron Kurz: I don't know how you come to that conclusion re: date. I see a lot of speculation but no solid evidence so far.

bk

Observation & deduction: the way I come to that conclusion is that, considering the (mildly putting it) "low opinion" that the Germans had for anything even remotely British during the war years, I would expect them to ban anything that they would consider to be pro-British, including clothing labels.
However, during the 4-powers occupation of 1945-1955, an Austrian tailor would concievably be inclined to show "Pro-Britishness" in an attempt to gain the trust, confidence and even protection, of the British occupiers. It is also possible that he made the same suit and tacked a "Red Star" or "Hammer & Sickle" label inside it for the same reason. [huh]

Of course, there was that period between the Anschluss and the declaration of war when "Peace in Our Time" were the words of the moment.

der schneider

One of the Regulars
I dont think you should take a chance on wearing a nazi suit.
I think you should send it to me and i'll dispose of it in a proper manner.

no questions asked and it will not be used to make any profit.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Dieter said:
Baron Kurz: I don't know how you come to that conclusion re: date. I see a lot of speculation but no solid evidence so far.

bk

Observation & deduction: the way I come to that conclusion is that, considering the (mildly putting it) "low opinion" that the Germans had for anything even remotely British during the war years, I would expect them to ban anything that they would consider to be pro-British, including clothing labels.
However, during the 4-powers occupation of 1945-1955, an Austrian tailor would concievably be inclined to show "Pro-Britishness" in an attempt to gain the trust, confidence and even protection, of the British occupiers. It is also possible that he made the same suit and tacked a "Red Star" or "Hammer & Sickle" label inside it for the same reason. [huh]

Of course, there was that period between the Anschluss and the declaration of war when "Peace in Our Time" were the words of the moment.

While it may well be true that a british style implication might not be too popular during the war, I doubt that it would have been banned. I doubt there would ahve been a law outlawing the use of a phrase suggesting a suit ahd an english style.

Maguire

Practically Family
mike said:
Well as I first mentioned, I don't really -think- it's a nazi suit, but I'm curious if there are any that could shed some light on that flag, or perhaps any tell tale signs of various features that might be a giveaway for a certain year or not. (I can take more pictures when my roommate's home) If not, yes I agree, I wind up with a fantastic suit that I'm very proud and lucky to own. If I find out that that this is definitely a nazi suit, well to be honest, I absolutely wouldn't own it any more, and I would find a way to get rid of it while not profiting off of it either.
Just to be clear about my view point. :)
well if its too much for your conscience to bear and you don't want to make a profit give it my way and i'll gladly see that it gets into the right hands :D

Its a suit, not a uniform, it doesn't have an armband so even if it was worn by a top ranking SS man, its still just a suit folks.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Dieter said:
Observation & deduction: the way I come to that conclusion is that, considering the (mildly putting it) "low opinion" that the Germans had for anything even remotely British during the war years, I would expect them to ban an.

Had you seen my post above? This haberdashery was around before WW One, and took out the "English" during this first war. More than possible that they put it back in afterwards. I don't know how long the store was in existence. They might have been out of business by 1938, they might have taken out the "English" after 1938, or they might have kept it this time.

At least before WWII, Nazi Germany was much less anti-British (possible allies) than anti-American (decadent, Jewish etc.). One of the most popular German films in 1937 was a Holmes parody, entirely set in Britain.

A very superficial search didn't show me online address, phone or business directories for WW2 Vienna, but the Wiener Stadt- und Landesarchiv seems to have a complete set, so one could send them a mail or an undercover FL agent (Naama? anyone else on location?)

mike

Call Me a Cab
and the jury says...??!!

DSCN0130.jpg

surgeon cuffs!
DSCN0132.jpg

DSCN0133.jpg

DSCN0134.jpg

DSCN0136.jpg

there are two inside breast pockets on either side (w/button closures) and one smaller one below... is this a distinct sign it's from a more recent period!?

DSCN0137.jpg

DSCN0138.jpg

what is this piece of fabric for? is it somehow to hold a watch fob?
DSCN0140.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Maguire said:
well if its too much for your conscience to bear and you don't want to make a profit give it my way and i'll gladly see that it gets into the right hands :D

Its a suit, not a uniform, it doesn't have an armband so even if it was worn by a top ranking SS man, its still just a suit folks.

is funny, yes :p

One of my ex girlfriends owned a fan that was supposedly one of Eva Braun's personal items... that always creeped me out something fierce. I guess I am/was attaching the same meaning to this, which really is unfair for the poor misunderstood wonderful suit lol

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe that tongue of fabric attached to the vest interior is used to button to the trowsers to keep the vest from riding up. I have many formal vests with that same element though I have not seen many that are on day wear clothing.

It's a puzzle. Absolutely nothing about this suit says Germanic tailoring tradition to me, and most certainly not English. It's almost a copy of an American suit of the era. The only exception being the very high set inner breast pockets.

I would love to have this in my hands to make a better comments. This juror reserves his judgement. [huh]

I'd love to know what the trouser pocket linings are made of.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy