Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I wearing a Nazi suit?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Well I don't believe I am, but anyone know what flag this might be to help determine when this suit was made?!
DSCF0617.jpg

DSCN0129.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Don't know much German, but there seems to be a reference to something English. Maybe the wool or the fabric? The logo looks to be a stylized version of the British flag maybe,...combined with a red cross.[huh] Not really any national flag that I recognize, maybe just a logo.
More pics of the details of the suit would help in determining an approximate age for it, but it looks as though the vest has 6 buttons, and the lapels seem fairly wide, so I would just venture a wild guess at some time between 1935 and 1945.

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
Based on the label text, I'd say it's a fanciful advertising variation on a Royal Navy pennant.

I believe it says "For the English fleet"?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Its not from Germany. "Wien" is German for "Vienna" ... or maybe my linguistic skills are rustier than previously thought. [huh] So it looks like a Swiss suit made for the British market.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
look for a pin hole in the lapel where the owner would have worn a nazi party pin. ALso, see if the right arm is stretched a bit at the shoulder from repetitive seig heils.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
Rougly translated: For English Fleet and made in Karntnerstrasse, Vienna Austria

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=karntnerstrasse+vienna&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

-dixon cannon

Right, but what I'm wondering is if this could be occupied Austria or not (as in this case Austria would be officially an extension of Hitler's Germany.) I would think the english reference would just have to imply it's pre-occupation, if not significantly earlier... although I'm not too clear on how to figure that out. The trousers do have british pleats.... [huh]
how can one easily date european or specifically Austrian features? Which by the way is extra cool to me, as one side of my family is from Vienna and didn't leave until about '39. So what if I've got my grandfather's old suit! (ok that's a crazy stretch, but why not!? haha)

Dieter

New in Town
What you have is a fine 3-piece suit with some history. Pre-anschluss or not, it's still displays well preserved, high-quality craftsmanship and material, and you may even be inspired to research the rather fascinating Austrian history from the period (when the country was renamed "Ostmarck").

mike

Call Me a Cab
Dieter said:
What you have is a fine 3-piece suit with some history. Pre-anschluss or not, it's still displays well preserved, high-quality craftsmanship and material, and you may even be inspired to research the rather fascinating Austrian history from the period (when the country was renamed "Ostmarck").

Well as I first mentioned, I don't really -think- it's a nazi suit, but I'm curious if there are any that could shed some light on that flag, or perhaps any tell tale signs of various features that might be a giveaway for a certain year or not. (I can take more pictures when my roommate's home) If not, yes I agree, I wind up with a fantastic suit that I'm very proud and lucky to own. If I find out that that this is definitely a nazi suit, well to be honest, I absolutely wouldn't own it any more, and I would find a way to get rid of it while not profiting off of it either.
Just to be clear about my view point. :)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
As has been mentioned, the "Flag" is a representation of the "flag", or ensign of the British Naval Fleet. And as the script says, "for the English Fleet", this would tend to reinforce the graphic. That script is most likely just the merchant's marketing gimmick, implying quality and perhaps an English style- the suit is, after all, pinstriped and not so nautical in appearance. The "flag", itself, doesn't really date anything but I guess it would not be something easily tolerated under the Nazi regime.

Quite possibly "Nazi Era" but beyond that, what can we say, without further nailing down the merchant or the actual date the suit was made?
Maybe the inclusion of this "English Naval" thing could lead us to believe that the suit was made before the Regime..?

B
T

I take it it isn't dated? If anywhere the dat will be inside the top left inner jacket pocket.

Let's see the details of the trousers, then. Waistband, particularly.

I'm puzzled as the jacket doesn't straight away strike me as Germanic, in the tailoring sense. usually they are s distinct as to be spottable from the proverbial mile. The lapels don't seem quite right. More American than anything. Could be from post-war occupation days, explaining it's appearance in the US?

bk

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
What on Earth is a "Nazi suit"? It clearly is not a Nazi uniform, and a suit made under Austrian occupation (if indeed it was) does not have any Nazi connection as a result. Remember that even during the war, being a German citizen was not synonymous with being a member of the Nazi party. In fact, many members of the German military were not Nazi party members. The Nazi party was solely a political party.

The German occupation of Austria took place in 1938, the year before the outbreak of war. I think it unlikely that any suit made during the war would carry a British flag (the flag in the label is a British White Ensign, flown by the British Royal Navy, and is not a stylised flag at all) or state that it was made for the British fleet. Therefore, I suspect this is a peacetime suit based on a uniform commissioned from the manufacturers for use by British naval officers. To have been made during peacetime in Vienna under German occupation would require it to have been made in 1938 or the first 9 months of 1939 - a very narrow window.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Kartnerstrasse

I know it well. On the way to the Opera House. I can't recall that particular business being there anymore.

I think you are wearing an ordinary Austrian suit with another of those marketing gimmicks.

Postwar Austria was occupied by the four major powers (Treaty of Potsdam) and Vienna was in the Soviet zone. Vienna itself (as the restored capital) was divided into five zones. The Royal Navy never went anywhere near Vienna - it's about as far from the sea as you can get in Austria!

fanucci

New in Town
its definitely an austrian suit, probably post war, i would say 50s or 60s, and the "Zur englischen Flotte" doesnt actually make so much sense. Its like a name for a pub called "the english fleet". I also think that the flag is just fantasy.

like the swiss and german, austrians like the idea of wearing something british. if its not really british, then just put a british / union jack flag on it to give it a british touch. Its pure marketing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy