Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amelia Earhart May Have Survived Crash-Landing

The reports I've read indicate that analysis of some human bones, a skull among them, found in 1940 on what was then called Gardner Island (now known as Nikumaroro) were misidentified as being those of a man and have long since disappeared, likely because they were thought unimportant and discarded. An earlier shipwreck on the atoll which left several male sailors dead or missing may have contributed to the assumption the bones were those of a man.

Measurements from those bones and other data have been compared to what is known of Earhart's physical dimensions. Modern forensic anthropologists using modern digital technologies conclude that the bones were those of a woman of European ancestry and that they rule out "99 percent of individuals in a large reference sample" and include only that 1 percent of which Amelia Earhart is a part.

Proof? Not without a doubt. But if those bones are those of Amelia Earhart, it would indicate that she may have survived the crash but died a castaway. Might it be that she succumbed to injuries sustained in the crash and that her remains washed ashore? Beats me. The skeletal remains are not complete (far from it, actually), which has me thinking that animals likely scattered the bones and possibly consumed them. Other evidence was also found, including a Benedictine liqueur bottle, which Earhart was known to imbibe. There are also references to other items found on the island in the years following Earhart and Noonan's disappearance, including a sextant, which is speculated to have been Noonan's.

Last edited:
^ That's what I've read as well. The news "headlines" make it sound as if new evidence had been discovered, but all they've done is reassess the evidence they already have and adjust their conclusions. It's compelling circumstantial evidence, but it's still nothing more than that and not 100% conclusive. Still, until they find new physical evidence, that's probably as good as it's going to get.

I assume they can do DNA testing on the bones, but I doubt they'd have any DNA of her's to compare it to - right?

They don't have the bones. The bones were examined in 1941 and were then concluded to be those of a man and have long since gone missing, perhaps discarded because they were thought of little consequence to posterity. What they apparently do have is data taken from those bones. It's unclear to me if they have photos.

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here we go again. The cold case has come back to life.
This latest find is intriguing ---mainly because it was apparently on her flight path--- but it is not conclusive.
What I found more interesting (and indeed chilling) is the compilation of radio distress calls that have been analysed and time-lined. Very interesting article but... the search goes on.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...vers-recover-glass-near-Papua-New-Guinea.html

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I assume they can do DNA testing on the bones, but I doubt they'd have any DNA of her's to compare it to - right?

If Earhart has surviving relatives such as nieces, nephews, grand-nephews, etc., they can make comparisons to look for common links. I know certain patrilineal or matrilineal lines can be traced to determine common ancestry.

If Earhart has surviving relatives such as nieces, nephews, grand-nephews, etc., they can make comparisons to look for common links. I know certain patrilineal or matrilineal lines can be traced to determine common ancestry.

Makes sense - thank you. That is a really interesting article you posted; shame they didn't find something.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Interesting story! I never heared about if, before. Thanks. :)

I saw the "dock-photo" and the man leftside has really an astonishing similarity to Fred Noonan!

Yes, the dock photo. I think I commented on that on an earlier page. It was striking! Sadly, it is known that photo was taken at a time when it could not possibly have been Earhart and Noonan. The mystery continues!

Ballard expedition concluded now, some items found but not related to the Elektra.

Regarding the bones found and lost, there is some indication of bones belonging to an adult female being DNA tested now (see comments towards the end of this article).

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...rt-expedition/ar-AAGomxV?li=AAggNb9&ocid=iehp

And some words on Robert D. Ballard:
As much as I don't like him as a person, I definitely respect all of his work and the fact, that he had an significant influence of us kids in the 90s, when the Titanic-literature (especially his legendary book) was still huge! All that brought us to think about it and that music, boobs and fun isn't all. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk