Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amelia Earhart May Have Survived Crash-Landing

All was not in vain...The group did find a coke bottle...
Considering their alleged graves were reportedly dug up during the Battle of Saipan in 1944 and again by archaeologists in 1968, I'd guess they were hoping to find something but didn't really expect to; even that bottle seemed to be a surprise. Ahh, show business. :rolleyes:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Just like they've found the much larger Malaysian Flight 370 Boeing 777 during the largest and longest search in flight history???

I will not be betting too much money on that search result! And by too much, I mean any...
Parts of flight 370 have been found. Eventually some one will stumble on both planes, it's not a mater of if, just when!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Did anyone else watch Geraldo Rivera open up Al Capone's vault back in the day?

Like opening a box of Cracker Jacks.
bergerwin01.gif

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Uh oh. According to this poorly written article, a "Japanese military history buff" claims that "newly discovered" photograph was featured in a book that was published two years before Earhart and Noonan disappeared. Cue dramatic music; the plot thickens.

You'd think somebody woulda noticed that before they did a whole TV thing on it.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I think Clive Cussler is the one to settle the mystery. If her airplane is on the bottom of the ocean, he'll find it if he's interested. Of course, it's a big ocean and Cussler is 85 and those things might hurt his chances.

Somewhere along the way - after the History Channel had shown every single inch of film footage on WWII that it could find (and re-packaged same footage into many iterations of similar documentaries) - History Channel lost its way and shifted into "reality" shows and more sensational stuff.

My guess, it had mined as much as it could out of the thoughtful history fan and simply drove for growth at the cost of its reputation. I used to watch that channel nearly every day (and always checked what was coming up on it) and now haven't even looked at it once in weeks, maybe, months.

And American serial killer H.H. Holmes was also Jack the Ripper. It's true because his diary saying that he was was found in a crashed UFO not far from Hitler's bunker in Argentina. But I don't know much about this so let me call up a buddy of mine who does. :D

The "mysteries-solved" stories I find downright offensive are the ones "told by" some relative or close acquaintance of a deceased person whom the tale-teller claims was the real Jack the Ripper or a central conspirator in the assassination of M.L. King or a Kennedy or Jimmy Hoffa or ...

Some people are just averse to honest work, I suppose. Still, attempting to capitalize on human tragedy, and in the process dragging an almost certainly innocent person's name through the mud, a person who isn't here to debunk the libel, is a particularly sleazy enterprise. So I expect to see a new series on the History Channel entirely devoted to such stories.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Did anyone else watch religiously Leonard Nimoy's narrated series "In Search Of"?

Man I loved that as a kid...

I remember being horrendously sick one day, lying on the couch with the TV on, and that show was playing, and I was too weak and sick to get up and turn it off. So I laid there, wan and pale, and watched it, and by the end of it Leonard Nimoy had me convinced that Sherlock Holmes was real.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Did anyone else watch religiously Leonard Nimoy's narrated series "In Search Of"?

Man I loved that as a kid...

My favorite was the "Roswell UFO incident” documentary.
Roswell.png
It was the “reenactment” where Brazel is shown
driving a 1946 Chevrolet truck. I recorded the program on vhs.
Watched this segment while I made plans to locate a similar GM truck.

Last edited:
You'd think somebody woulda noticed that before they did a whole TV thing on it.
I'm not convinced anyone working at the History Channel has ever actually read a book.

The "mysteries-solved" stories I find downright offensive are the ones "told by" some relative or close acquaintance of a deceased person whom the tale-teller claims was the real Jack the Ripper or a central conspirator in the assassination of M.L. King or a Kennedy or Jimmy Hoffa or ...
Try reading a few books about the unsolved murder of Elizabeth "The Black Dahlia" Short that are written by someone who claims he/she can prove who the killer was. They're all essentially the same, and sometimes even use the same evidence to support their claims, but they all make leaps of faith and/or "massage" the facts to fit their theories, and it's almost always a family member who, at best, had a tenuous connection to Ms. Short. :rolleyes:

Try reading a few books about the unsolved murder of Elizabeth "The Black Dahlia" Short that are written by someone who claims he/she can prove who the killer was. They're all essentially the same, and sometimes even use the same evidence to support their claims, but they all make leaps of faith and/or "massage" the facts to fit their theories, and it's almost always a family member who, at best, had a tenuous connection to Ms. Short. :rolleyes:

The sole exception to the sleazy-relative-cashing-in-on-infamy I can think of is Mikal Gilmore, the brother of Gary Gilmore, who was the first person executed in the U.S. after the legal reinstatement of the practice in 1977. Gary, as most of us probably recall, was a "volunteer" in his own execution. He declined appeals, etc., and he was dispatched by a Utah firing squad.

Mikal Gilmore is a darned good writer, and has distinguished himself as such in works other than the book he wrote about his family's history and his infamous brother.

I tried really hard to watch "The Black Dahlia" movie. But the hollywood "dual" storyline made it annoyingly difficult!
Assuming you're referring to the 2006 movie starring Josh Hartnett, Aaron Eckhart, and Scarlett Johansson, a friend and I foolishly went to see it thinking it would actually be about the "Black Dahlia" murder and subsequent investigations. As such, we sat through most of it thinking "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is this rubbish???" (only we weren't thinking "rubbish" ;)). Truly disappointing, and a bad movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto