Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Boots for the English Gent?

Dr Roly

New in Town
I've got a few pairs of Northampton made Eglish boots; heavy brogues from Church's, cap toes from Alfred Sargent and the superb Bleasedales from Grenson.

I love all of them but recently have taken an interest in proper American-made boots. Wolverine and White's in particular.

I've handled Wolverine 1k Mile boots (but not the White's). The leather seemed great quality, but no lining and coarse stitching around the welt compared to my English boots. This is not necessarily a problem but my question is:

How do they hold up long-term? Can anyone comment on how they compare to English boots with heavy use?

In my job, I need something smart, but also hard-wearing with good ankle support.

IXL

One Too Many
I know that White's boots (Smoke Jumper model) are often given to those, including a nephew of mine, to new graduates of smoke jumper academy. These guys abuse footwear beyond belief, and since most new grads can't afford the costs, they are a very welcome gift. I can wear mine for 20 hours at a time, although I don't fight fires.
The stitching is quite heavy, but having never examined English boots, can't compare the two. I do know this: they are very sturdy, have a very high arch which will take some getting used to, and are built 'Murican tuff!
I also have a pair of White's "Nomads," an engineer-style boot in Horween Chromexel, as well as Wesco "Boss" engineer boots. You can't go wrong with either brand, and both have been superior to any of the Wolverine product I've ever worn. Also, all of my Wescos and White's have been made here (U.S.A.) and the Wolverines have not.
For "smart-looking" boots, I live in cowboy country: we wear fancy cowboy boots, and my preference is Tony Llama brand, also made in the U.S.A.

Good luck with your hunt!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I have some Wolverine spectator shoes. I just got them a few weeks ago, but I wear them whenever it isn't raining. They don't have any damage whatsoever, however, they got a bit scuffed, but that isn't that big a deal. The soles, are unfortunately made from a very soft rubber, and they have gotten several small dents/holes in them. I may have to get them resoled soon. I don't know about their boots, but I assume they have tougher soles than the soft rubber soles my shoes had.

Pat Spade

Familiar Face
Hi, maybe you should look for a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers. I don`t know about the White`s, `cos they`re out of my price range, but I do own a pair of RW Iron Rangers and a pair of Wolverines 1K Boots. And comparing these to my William Lennon custom made HH boots, I must say, that the Red Wings are the ones coming next in quality. The Wolverine`s are fine boots, nevertheless, but IMHO a slightly different thing. Not that tough and merely looking like a dress boot, not a work boot and are a bit more, erm, sensitive...the Red Wings do look smart, got a durable, but sometimes slipery sole and a good ankle support (wich do the Wolverine`s offer as well...)
BUT, I have to say, my Lennon Boots are the better...

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I have 2 pairs of Wolverine work boots and while not fancy, they are tough as an anvil and wear very well. A couple of days to break them in and then they were totally comfortable.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are quite right about White's rough workmanship. In addition to the points you mentioned, the heels are often mismatched. They do have great ankle support and are quite comfortable with cuban heels. I have only worn mine a few times so I cannot personally judge their durability.

I believe the Justin empire is owned now by Berkshire Hathway so the oracle of Omaha makes the most profit overseas, not in the US.

Justin owns Tony Lama & Nocona Boots which were both Texas-based.
They are like Stetson, Resistol, etc. for hat brands = just the brand.
While HatCo makes the hats in Garland, TX, there are some models of the boots that are USA made, possibly just assembled.
Some are from China, some Mexico...I look for the Made in USA tag on the models.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Justin owns Tony Lama & Nocona Boots which were both Texas-based.
They are like Stetson, Resistol, etc. for hat brands = just the brand.
While HatCo makes the hats in Garland, TX, there are some models of the boots that are USA made, possibly just assembled.
Some are from China, some Mexico...I look for the Made in USA tag on the models.

Justin has a "Made in the U.S.A." line. They aren't much more expensive than their boots that are made in Mexico.

I have two pair of Justin Ropers that I really like. They're made well and both pair were made in the U.S.A.

- Ian

tropicalbob

I just noticed that Zappo's has Frey's Rand Lace boots on sale for $238.00 right now. I paid full price ($398) last Christmas and wear them to work constantly (I teach). They're really solid-feeling right out of the box and are nicely lined in a soft, contrasting leather. I think some of the lower-priced lines are made in Mexico, but these are made here.

Justin has a "Made in the U.S.A." line. They aren't much more expensive than their boots that are made in Mexico.

I have two pair of Justin Ropers that I really like. They're made well and both pair were made in the U.S.A.

- Ian

And I wouldn't necessarily knock boots made in Mexico. I have several pair, and they are handmade of fantastic quality leather and craftsmanship.

And I wouldn't necessarily knock boots made in Mexico. I have several pair, and they are handmade of fantastic quality leather and craftsmanship.

+1

Good craftsmanship is good craftsmanship, no matter which side of the fence the craftsman is from.

tropicalbob

Yes, but the man is asking about shoes made here. I believe the difference is that the Rand boots have a leather outsole with a hard rubber foresole stitched and nailed through the leather. I have four pairs of Fryes, some Mexican-made and some American, and they're all well-made, but these are really exceptional.

Flat Foot Floey

Isn't this also about comparing work-boots with "country" footwear?

I think William Lennons boots would be a more fitting comparsion with Wolverine, Red Wings and the likes...
I don't have both so I can't answer the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW