Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Americans in the RAF

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Aristaeus said:
Inaccuracies aside, the book is well written and informative.

I'd question whether a book that is littered with inaccuracies can be well written.

If, as an author, you are giving errors and fallacies then that is being informative in a very poor way.

I'd also say that it's highly disrespectful of the people the book is trying to champion.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Aristaeus said:
I assume we are talking about the same book then.
1. Nowhere in the book does it imply that 9 American's won the Battle of Britain single handedly.
2. The story is about 7 pilots not 9.
3. The story is not just from the perspective of the American pilots but form the British and German as well.
Inaccuracies aside, the book is well written and informative.

I don't think that is the impression he got.
Interview with Alex Kershaw.
http://www.thefewbook.com/interview.mp3

1. Give me a break! :D
2. I stand corrected.
3. Not as much as many of the other books I've read on this subject. Pretty focused on the life and death of seven (7) US pilots.

Let's just say: Well written with tons of inaccuracies! (See Smithys comment)

Regarding the impression I leave behind: I call it as I see (read) it - if you do not like it, OK.
If Kiltie, who it was actually written to - or anybody else for that matter - say: Hey that's just the kind of book, I've been looking for...and maybe even buys the book - also OK.
If he doesn't and don't buy the book - still OK.

Chas

One Too Many
The Canadian experience in WWI almost guaranteed that Americans would join, and Canadian WWI ace Billy Bishop was instrumental in setting up the commitee that made it was easier for Americans to join up and attend the CATP (Commonwealth Air Training Program). They had an office in the Waldorf Astoria in NYC and it must have worked, because 9000 joined. Here is the link.

The "Honorary Canadians" section of this page includes a few that weren't willing to wait around until isolationism came to an end.

379 Americans died serving in Bomber Command - that, I never knew. There were an equal number also killed in training accidents.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Back On Corurse

Is this thread about 1000 miles off course now? The question was about wearing RAF wings on AAF summer tropical uniform! All I know is that it was and still is customary to wear the wings of your former service over your right breast pocket. Hopefully others can get back on track and help you!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
You are right Stearman.
I believe these two gents knew where to wear both the silver wings and the RAF wings. John T Godfrey and Don Gentile, RAF Eagle Sq. and later
USAF 4th FG.

godfrey_gentile.jpg

And let me end the other discussion by saying that we - over here in Europe - are more than thankfull for the many "canadians" who joined the war, before their own country did.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

kiltie

Practically Family
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. As I stated in the OP, although my question was a very specific one, I did invite any and all comers with whatever they have on Americans in the RAF and immediately after. The sidetracking was and is welcome. Thanks, too, for efforts to keep the original question in mind and near the top.

To get off track in my own thread, I'd like to add something a bit more personal that may ring true for other members:
I'm very happy to have had the opportunity to post the question here in the first place. My time is filled with work, half-assedly running a pipe band peripheral to that job, and all the things that fill a person's days, weeks and months. I'm not in a position, at the moment, to become a member of any sort of historical club, society, etc... wherein I could share these interests and questions with other members. Whatever knowledge I'm able to compile is through my own reading and other avenues of study, so this section of the Fedora Lounge is a valuable resource to me.
I really appreciate every bit of it, and I particularly appreciate the fact that a lot of the "let me show you just how smart I am..." sort of business doesn't find it's way into this section. It is very refreshing, a makes for a very friendly and ernest but relaxed environment.

Back on track:
Thanks for the pic, Spitfire and for the vid, Aristaeus. The hunt is still on for a pic of just the shirt with both wings. Oddly enough, one of the things I've noticed while searching: while there seems to be a glut of cotton and bullion wings ( U.S. pilot wings - or any other position on any ship...) for sale through many sources, I can't recall having seen an American flyer wearing these on any uniform, though I may just be looking in the wrong places.

Thanks again, everyone.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Don't forget that there were American volunteers in the bomb groups also. A friend of mine who was in the 8th AF during WWII started the war as a volunteer with one of the Polish bomb squadrons. I don't know how he got in but he served as a tail gunner on a Lancaster. He won a high rated medal because his O2 was shot out for an hour and a half but he still managed to complete his mission.

Rookie1

New in Town
Ironic that this thread started and WWII Quarterly has an article titled"The American Few" by John W. Osborn JR. I read the article and was interested in the story. All else aside I think those men who joined were pretty cool. Volunteering to fight when your country is not at war,yet, is a courageous thing to do.:eusa_clap

Chas

One Too Many
I feel the need to point out that more Americans served in the RCAF than did in the RAF.

It's not like the RCAF was a minor branch of the RAF. We were allies, not subordinates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21