Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ammunition boots

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Shame Paddy isn't posting as much here as he used to. IIRC he posted a step by step guide to polishing British Army style from his days of spending many an hour to avoid getting in the brown stuff on inspection.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
I read an account of one man´s national service where he recounted a similar procedure concerning Guard Duty for the night where the smartest and best turned out
man would be excused and allowed to return to the barracks.

The Finnish military seems more enlightened than the Belgian one, our instructors at the time were strong believers in motivation too, only thing was, they focused on the guy who was the LEAST turned out. But that was 20 years back, from what I see nowadays standards have indeed been slipping. I wouldn't have dreamt showing my face with the kind of shave (or lack of it) that nowadays seems to pass, even in cadet school.

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Xenophon,
Just to say that the account of the best turned out man being excused Night Guard Duty was in reference to an account of
a British national serviceman in the 50s.
In the Finnish Defence Forces boots are polished every day but NOT to the mirror shine and polishing the soles is unheard of.
As to the Army having changed in 20 years, you are correct...all the European defence forces have seen changes in many respects
moreover since the wall came down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou