Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Aero 'car coat' as first quality jacket?

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
A little late to the conversation, but I'd have to side with Ton and Aerofan. But what ever direction you go, Carrie will take good care of you and ensure a great fit.

I too live in the Seattle area and my '30s HB has been wonderful. I've found the brown horween CXL steerhide can be dressed up or down, depending on your mood, making it a great all-rounder.

Personally, for my build, I wouldn't want a jacket any longer than what the HB already is. Especially with leather, sitting with it zipped would prove to be uncomfortable. Even with the lighter leathers, that curl that develops on longer coats from sitting drives me nutz. But again, personal preference only.

9C5CA308-D8FD-487B-A053-9E2155FAE00E_zpsbd5gixhp.jpeg

27D74C7F-F4F7-4433-800D-A211AD1AD3AD_zpsnck4vzok.jpg

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
For your first jacket you may want to consider a zipper instead of the buttons. While the buttons never get stuck,
it takes just a little longer to take the jacket on and off. So if this will be your first and only, you might want to consider
zipper. If this is just one in a soon to be collection it doesn't matter much though. The zippers on the high end jackets
are leagues beyond the cheap ones and much more reliable.

All,

I'm looking for input on models, leather, and any custom mods people have liked or disliked.

Thank you.

Harvie

New in Town
If I want to go for a long ride over the road in my truck with bucket front seats I primarily use my Veste Des Rallye as it will not ride up my back, other options are my Lightweight HH Barnstormer and if its real cold the a nicely broken in Thunderbay with the belt buckled also does the job well.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks. I do like the 30's HB but they seem a tad shorter to me, no?

No black and no front belt.

Yes, the 30s HB is a shorter, waist length style. If you have a looksee around the Aero website, the longer styles should become obvious quickly, though you can't beat being able to walk into the shop (in your case, in Seattle) and see the various models in person. Carrie is very helpful on this. Do take your time and try everything.

As to FQHH v Vicenza, I've tried both at the Aero factory. The Vicenza is lovely and I may well try it on a jacket eventually, but I would say it is "different" rather than better or worse. There is typically a small upcharge for it. The CXL FQHH will be very stiff to begin with, but if you wear it regularly, it'll be grand within a month or so.

Yeah, I really want a length of around 27", so I think the various HBs are out. That leaves the Teamster, Work Coats, etc.

The following jacket(s) will be a short one and a shearling, exact specs tbd.

Look at a half belt for the following jacket (or a Highwayman if you like a plain, subtle 50s boxjacket - very adaptable). You do indeed want the longer ones for what you describe in the OP. Save the HB for when you really have the bug, and start buying high waisted jeans and tucking your shirt in like many of us in these parts. ;)

This thread illustrates the beauty of this wonderful community. Ask a question about a jacket selection and, within a couple of hours, you will have 20+ well reasoned, informative opinions rooted in experience. The downside is that the tidal wave of good information oftentimes includes additional considerations and options not previously contemplated by the OP, which make the decision even more difficult.

Essentially, we're a bunch of enablers..... ;)

Long Half Belt or Teamster are no nonsense options as first jackets. My LHB is a my go-to during autumn and when it rains during winter. The type of leather you choose is less important in terms of warmth than your choice of lining, though the FQHH will probably resist rain a bit more. Personally, I'd go with the normal wool lining, either in tartan or tweed, and then layer for the weather, but you could with alpaca, Strom weight tartan or blanket if you want something a bit more full-on.

Yip. I'm also a fan of the hefty moleskin for a Winter coat lining. My Bootlegger has moleskin in the sleeves.... great up til about late April, then it's too much.

You can specify what length you want when you order, so you can get 27" in any style. I'd consult w/thurston on which style would work best for you in that length

Yes, it's always best to try it on and think about it. Worth bearing in mind that, if memory serves, Thurston typically add an inch to the standard Aero spec on pretty much all their jackets. It is, of course, possible for them to order a longer jacket for you in many of the short styles, though personally I would counsel against that. The shorter Aeros were very much designed as shorter jackets; attempt to just add extra length to a lot of them, and it can really throw off the proportions of the jacket. Like some of those modern takes on the Perfecto style where they lengthened he jacket for guys that like to lie flat over the top of their bike tank, or who wear those modern jeans with the waistband 6" south of the natural waist (501s and such). All they've done is add 3" or so to the length of the jacket, but it really doesn't work - totally throws off the proportions of the design. The longer Aeros, on the other hand, have been specifically designed to work at that length, so will look 'right'.

Great looking Aero. I had to laugh when I spotted kitteh in the bottom corner there, giving you that look of sheer, bewildered contempt that only a cat can quite manage.... "Daft hoomin stand in teh rain. I stayses inside where is dry. I is teh cleverz."

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I concur with what @Sloan1874 just said. Aero's cotton drill doesn't grab or bunch up when putting on coats/jackets as moleskin might? I recall Ken Calder telling me corduroy lined sleeves don't bunch up as long as the nap is oriented correctly. I perceive storm cuffs are more worthwhile in a northern climate where Craig resides than where I live. ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm amazed @Fanch gets more than two months wear out of his jackets in Texas! I personally would resist the desire to over-insulate a jacket, though I understand the instinct to do that. Simply get a decent wool lining and then layer from there. It's all about flexibility and getting maximum wear out of it!

bobjones

A-List Customer
Well, it has been a long, long time since I've been here...I guess the OP is lucky I just so happened to drop by as I have some advice that might be helpful having worn my two Aeros for almost ten years now.

My first one was a Stockman bought new in 2008 (bought a Highwayman 2 years later) - I'm 5-10.5, 172 lbs, and having had the jacket for this long, can offer this advice:

-the Stockman is an excellent jacket, but if I had to do it all over again I would have gone with a lighter weight leather other than FQHH. The reason being the jacket weighs about 9.5 lbs, and if you walk around in it for say, over an hour or two your shoulders will start to hurt.

-the FQHH is UNBELIEVABLY stiff; as someone who had never owned anything but a crappy mall jacket made of soft cowhide when I first ordered my Aero it literally stood up by itself with ease, and could for months, which astounded me. I would STRONGLY recommend either a softer, lighter hide, lighter weight (less than 3.5 or 4oz) horsehide, or if you are committed to FQHH, have it come in the rolled version (assuming Aero still offers it). It has taken almost all this time - TEN YEARS - to get the leather to soften a lot, and while I didn't wear it daily in the winter I still wore it frequently, and it stays stiff for some time. The reward is great, as the leather feels like butter now, but it took a long time to get to this point.

-get a cordurouy lining at the bottom of your jacket on the inside back along the edge; my tartan lining has ripped there and had I worn a belt more often (hardly ever wear one) the lining would have been shredded. Same for the inside of your cuffs.

-be judicious about the length of the back; my Stockman lands in the middle of my tush - which means when I sit wearing it the edge is right under where my rear hits the seat. This was a mistake on my part as it either should have been a few inches shorter, or longer. My Highwayman is waist length so this is not a problem.

-I wear my Highwayman more often these days, as even though it is FQHH the jacket is "only" about 5 lbs. I've had some hilarious reactions from people who picked up the Highwayman who were like "wow, how do you wear something so heavy?" while thinking to myself, imagine if they picked up my Stockman, their arm might have fallen off.

Bottom line, read carefully EVERY bit of advice you can get from the leather wizards here and speak with the Aero folks at length. It has been a long time - almost ten years since I bought an aero so I am unfamiliar with their current offerings such as "vincenza" leather, whatever that is. If Aero still provides samples ask for them, but try to give as much realistic thought as to how/when/what weather you will wear the jacket. I plan to keep mine until I leave this earth, and then my grandkids can have them, but if I could I would alter a bit some of my decisions from ten years ago.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Agree mostly with Bob - although Aero's Fqhh is 3oz not more. 3oz is stiff and heavy enough which is why I generally choose 2.5 oz or thinner hides.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, as has been seen here occasionally, not everyone gets along with FQHH, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm afraid I've got disagree with you, Bob. You make FQHH sound like it's sheet metal or something!
I've worn my LHB for five years and not once have I felt I was wearing a suit of armour. It's heavy, sure, but if it fitted properly rather than over-sized, then the weight is distributed evenly, avoid sore shoulders or the feeling of carrying a dead weight.
As far as breaking in goes, it took two, three years of consistent winter wear to soften up to the point where it flopped around like a standard jacket.
The bottom line is, though, that the jackets Aero make now are a different proposition to those under the old regime. I handled ones at the sale last year that were beasts, not least because they'd be mislabeled storse ones, but they were made from a thick, heavy leather that you'd need to be very committed to wear.
It could well be that Bob's jacket is one of the mislabeled jackets, as that practice was going on as far back as the mid-2000s.
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem going with a third FQHH jacket, but equally the lighter mid-weight leathers are just as good. It's storses for courses but I wouldn't write any of them off on the basis of a jacket that is unrepresentative of their Aero's output.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ