Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Aero 'car coat' as first quality jacket?

zebedee

One Too Many
I will post pics when I get back from HK (end of April [HWM with pocket outline is in UK] if the thread is still running.). Was advised by Ken to leave inner pockets out of subsequent jacket (Stockman)- the result was much better, and, after that, my next four Aeros have no inner pockets.

The stud outline looks obvious when the HWM pockets are fastened, and can be seen through the outer panel. My HWM is now old and battered, but it doesn't need to look as if it's smuggling smarties.

If the OP wants 'em, he should get 'em. I tend to put phones and wallets in slanted outer pockets or trouser pockets. My Long Half Belt has the cargo pockets, so I use them when I need to. The Stockman has deep enough pockets for stuff and the cafe racer has zipped pockets, etc. My last Aero was a used one that had non-studded inner pockets. The steerhide pocket edges fold on the inside weirdly when I wear it. I don't wear it much.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I will post pics when I get back from HK (end of April [HWM with pocket outline is in UK] if the thread is still running.). Was advised by Ken to leave inner pockets out of subsequent jacket (Stockman)- the result was much better, and, after that, my next four Aeros have no inner pockets.

The stud outline looks obvious when the HWM pockets are fastened, and can be seen through the outer panel. My HWM is now old and battered, but it doesn't need to look as if it's smuggling smarties.

If the OP wants 'em, he should get 'em. I tend to put phones and wallets in slanted outer pockets or trouser pockets. My Long Half Belt has the cargo pockets, so I use them when I need to. The Stockman has deep enough pockets for stuff and the cafe racer has zipped pockets, etc. My last Aero was a used one that had non-studded inner pockets. The steerhide pocket edges fold on the inside weirdly when I wear it. I don't wear it much.

Some photos will be indeed useful. Since you have experience with it then I rest my case!

zebedee

One Too Many
I'm curious to see if non-leather lined inner pockets would be a handy alternative. I have them in an SB and, so far, they're good.

Edward

Bartender
+1 for the inner pocket!
I have an inner pocket in all of my jackets except for my repro A-2's and I find them very useful for reading glasses and other valuables. I get more use out of the single inner pocket than I do from any of the hand warmer or chest pockets.
I do recall seeing some photos here of an Aero (I believe it was a Highwayman) where the outline of the inner pocket showed through. I think this was mainly due to the button closure on the pocket. In any case, it was fairly subtle, and not something I would've noticed if it had not been called out in the caption below the photo.

I've never had a problem with it either. I did have a couple of jackets with one in each side - no problem, but ultimately overkill. The best option for me is what I got in my Dustbowl - one breast pocket, and one inner pocket on the opposite side. I can live without an iner pocket (as on my Highwayman - standard patte,r no inner pocket) if, and only if, there's a secure pocket of a decent size. All the chest pockets I've had on any haslfbelt other than my Bootlegger have looked really nice, but they're typically too small to be of much use other than decoration. I only have handwarmers exclusively for the look; I never use them for anything.

I'm curious to see if non-leather lined inner pockets would be a handy alternative. I have them in an SB and, so far, they're good.

On a leather jacket I much prefer a pocket in the facing for the simple reason that it makes a relining much easier. Other than that, it really depends how rough you are; if you're prone to stuff a lot in it and whatever, it can sag and distort over time. Never had a massive problem, though, myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21