Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An attempt to collect more of the "Important Hat Forum Threads"

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
As some you may have noticed already, there's an update at the Links To Important Hat Forum Threads.

The new additions are:
- A list of the main vintage hatmaker threads and
- A list of hat history- and hat dating-related topics.

Finding and sorting all the main threads of general interest is quite a time-consuming task.

So, here's an idea.
Please post links to threads right here - threads that you feel are important enough to be added to the Links To Important Hat Forum Threads sticky later on.
I will wait a month or longer, depending on how much input this thread will get, then edit and sort the links that you post here into topics before I'll even consider asking RBH to add them to the sticky. I'll try to figure out an arrangement that makes it easier for all of us to find important threads that we ourselves might overlook or forget at some point in time.

In short, if we put together what we have stored in our thread subscriptions and/or our memories, we might come up with a pretty thorough list of threads. See it as a table of contents in progress.

Please post links in the manner seen in my post below.

Here's some suggestions for what to look for:

- Hat History threads
- Hat Dating threads
- Hat quality stuff
- Ads collection threads
- How-to-do threads and hatters tools threads
- The main threads for collections of images

Please, restrict yourselves to threads that are really worth it, containing good information or plenty of images. I guess we can also leave out all the "page-one-threads"

Sure, it's subjective what to include and what to omit. I hope the project works out. Please feel free to delete this thread if there are any objections.

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
I understand what your trying to accomplish. But I think its individual preference on a lot of it. That's probably best done thru use of Subscribed Threads. Not sure how many people use this feature, but it works great.

B

Important to Whom? Is that proper grammar?
I think the bartenders have this covered quite well.
Existing stickies seem to be overlooked as it is.
JMHO

I believe they have too but until recently that was not the case. For example RLK's research on the early "Fedora" was just listed.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you all for your comments, and thanks for the links, Annixter.

Important to Whom? Is that proper grammar?
I think the bartenders have this covered quite well.
Existing stickies seem to be overlooked as it is.
JMHO

Just the title of the sticky... :)

I understand what your trying to accomplish. But I think its individual preference on a lot of it. That's probably best done thru use of Subscribed Threads. Not sure how many people use this feature, but it works great.

B

Thanks for your understanding, Buler. I fully agree on the subject of Subscribed Threads, they're very useful. Personally, I use them all the time.

I'm aware that the project has a high chance of failure (individual preferences being a big factor, as you pointed out), but I'd like to try just the same. The idea is merely to make the existing sticky a little more comprehensive, and to make the selection based on consensus.

I believe they have too but until recently that was not the case. For example RLK's research on the early "Fedora" was just listed.

Yesterday, I provided RHB with the list of vintage hatmakers and the list of hat history & dating threads, and he added the ready-made links to the sticky.
Everyone has real-life job responsibilities outside the Lounge, including the bartenders. Why not work on this together?

At the very least (and as a side-effect), we might unearth some interesting forgotten threads.

Do let me know if I'm crossing any boundaries I might not be aware of.

Nik

RBH

Bartender
I for one dont mind the help at all.
Since the 'reboot' of the Lounge a couple years ago I have always tried to add links when any were suggested to me.
In fact the current thread was started somewhat like this one.
Members added links and I 'edited' them into the current thread.
I have since added links when any was suggested.
So add away... all I ask is if Rabbit will try and make sure we do not put in any double links.
And from me guys... thanks for all you do... and add ...and for the help you send my way!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, RBH. I'll make sure not to submit links that are already in the list.

Eric, two days ago the better-known vintage hatmakers were already added to the sticky. Thank you just the same, I appreciate your suggestions.

I wasn't sure how to arrange that list, so I linked them by the threads' names, but sorted them alphabetically by the hatmakers' actual names only (thus Adam, Barbisio, Borsalino, Cavanagh, Champ and so on).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner