Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

an idea I've been tossing around ... your thoughts?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I would love something like this. Not much down here in SD aside from Goorin Bros and Village Hat Shop (neither offers stellar furs). But there's def Los Angeles -- lots of Hollywood makers up there.
I'd definitely love to get to LA for an episode ... maybe hit up Wellema out in Altadena
after living in LA for a decade I'm always looking for a reason to get back

yeah I'm thinking in the 20 to 30 minute range ... closer to 20 more likely

you were actually who I had in mind for the collector of the first episode if you would be interested in that kind of thing .. .I just feel like we could sit and talk for hours and go through your stuff ... then just edit it down to 15 minutes or so
then keep the NY theme and maybe go to one of the NY shops with history and BOOM ... episode one

Sure. Would you take a trip up and do it in person? Lovely time to take a ride through NY State and show the family Niagara Falls.

Only caveat, Anthony, is that we need other types of folk to chime in. Of COURSE F.L. members will support and follow such an effort. I know I will! But what do you think the actual size of our market is? There are LOADS of potential topics (just from the "Hats" category thread titles) but we can't be the only folks to follow this.

I like this idea, but I, like the rest of us, am a hat person! When do we start?!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Only caveat, Anthony, is that we need other types of folk to chime in. Of COURSE F.L. members will support and follow such an effort. I know I will! But what do you think the actual size of our market is? There are LOADS of potential topics (just from the "Hats" category thread titles) but we can't be the only folks to follow this.

I like this idea, but I, like the rest of us, am a hat person! When do we start?!

I'm not looking to win emmys bro ... I'm looking to have fun and gain some knowledge to share with people who care about hats ... thats it

I am literally in a group chat with a producer, camera man and an editor as I type this ... we are riffing ideas for the pilot script right now

we just want this to be a lighthearted deal with some education sprinkled in ...

seriously think Diners Drive Ins and Dives only with hats ... a road trip that starts at say .. Bencraft and goes into a brief voice over monolog about the history of mens fur felt hats and hat making under some photos and such ... then up to Buffalo to visit Alan to pick his brain and raid his collection ... then over to Gary Whites shop for some hat talk and hat making

sounds like a blast to me

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Only caveat, Anthony, is that we need other types of folk to chime in. Of COURSE F.L. members will support and follow such an effort. I know I will! But what do you think the actual size of our market is?

I was going to hold off on mentioning this but your point sort of opens the door: my younger brother is a producer at BuzzFeed and he is in charge of an effort to focus on hip, quirky, unknown things that people can discover in their own cities. And since BuzzFeed doesn't really like to sit on anything for too long, the last time I mentioned an idea to him, they went ahead and approved it that week and he made a vid about the obscure topic I suggested which garnered a million and a half views in a couple weeks.

If enough content was created ahead of time, it's possible something like this could get a BF shout out or guest spot or something that would capture subscribers. Heck, look at that 2 Chainz panama hat video... almost 2 million views.

Anyway -- supposing cross-platform advertising or a huge viewership doesn't happen -- sometimes it's just friggin' fun to do this stuff anyway!

KarlCrow

One Too Many
I was going to hold off on mentioning this but your point sort of opens the door: my younger brother is a producer at BuzzFeed and he is in charge of an effort to focus on hip, quirky, unknown things that people can discover in their own cities. And since BuzzFeed doesn't really like to sit on anything for too long, the last time I mentioned an idea to him, they went ahead and approved it that week and he made a vid about the obscure topic I suggested which garnered a million and a half views in a couple weeks.

If enough content was created ahead of time, it's possible something like this could get a BF shout out or guest spot or something that would capture subscribers. Heck, look at that 2 Chainz panama hat video... almost 2 million views.

Anyway -- supposing cross-platform advertising or a huge viewership doesn't happen -- sometimes it's just friggin' fun to do this stuff anyway!
So what your saying is Moon will quit drumming and become the new 'man Vs hat' guy on the obscure channels on our TVs. Cool.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moon, you'd be FAR better suited for the task than any of the folks I've seen on youtube trying to talk hats.
I really feel like there is a void in hat content ... it's all so drab and boring ... my vids included

I want to liven it up and give it a hip slant

get out there and get face to face with the people who make this thing go

lots of coffee , travel and hat talk ... done right though ...

I think it could be really cool

KarlCrow

One Too Many
I really feel like there is a void in hat content ... it's all so drab and boring ... my vids included

I want to liven it up and give it a hip slant

get out there and get face to face with the people who make this thing go

lots of coffee , travel and hat talk ... done right though ...

I think it could be really cool
Done right it could be great, just surround yourself in advice, choose a direction and make sure you'd watch it yourself. If you can find an editor(s) (film and script) from the start it'll end up not necessarily seamless but better. Although some people are just naturals at Adobe premiere or whatever it is a skill, and they normally have dealt before with copyright issues in soundtrack, archive footage, pics etc. No doubt like the folk who made the spray shop film above.I'm not saying you need to aim for a TV documentary, but the higher you aim...

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Done right it could be great, just surround yourself in advice, choose a direction and make sure you'd watch it yourself. If you can find an editor(s) (film and script) from the start it'll end up not necessarily seamless but better. Although some people are just naturals at Adobe premiere or whatever it is a skill, and they normally have dealt before with copyright issues in soundtrack, archive footage, pics etc. I'm not saying you need to aim for a TV documentary, but the higher you aim...

my group of friend is full of professional film and documentary makers ... I'm all set

I'm simply the idea man and the host ... ;) ... they do the rest ... with my "direction" of course

LOVE this idea!!!
You could do a segment in Illinois......takling to the folks at Optimo.....then perhaps St Louis And Levine`s where I am sure we can get some great history on the hats and hatmakers that city once hosted........
Love the idea of this.......
Makes me think of the "thirsty traveler" and "three sheets"...............both shows where the host traveled around the world and dicussed legend and lore (as well as actual making) of the local great unifier of people....alcohol.
We could call you the "hatted traveler"..........;)
Again, love it......we need to save this story while some that lived it are still around.......
Best,
M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points