Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Inquiry Regarding John McMicking of L&H Hats

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Well into a thread about Bowlers, Brad Bowers posted the address of Mister John McMicking of L&H HATS of Dundas, Ontario, in response to his being alluded to by Jamespowers. Mister McMicking was described as able to make proper Cambridge Bowlers, which are a kind of formal bowler with straight side; Winston Churchill was famed for wearing
conMediaFile.71980
, which he dubbed a, "bowker."

I am quite interested by this possibility. I look very silly in bowlers, but I would very much like to some day give a dear friend, who looks very well in a bowler, a Cambridge Bowler as a gift. Mister McMicking is the only source for such hats that I have heretofore learned. I would very much like to know more about Mister McMicking. I don't know that anyone here has commissioned a hat from him, but I think that I'm likelier to win a response here than anywhere else that I can conceive.

What I am especially curious about is the following:
Firstly, where or from whom he learned to make bowlers.
Secondly, what the quality of his work is.
Thirdly, how much he charges for his services.

Ancilliary facts, such as his age, the time between one's order and receipt of the hat or the like are certainly welcome as well. A sample of his work would be a rare surprise, but I have no expectations.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I gathered that Mr. Powers was going to order one, so I've been waiting patiently for him to post the results!

What's the scoop, JP?:)

Brad

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
I just noticed that there were replies to this thread last year while doing some cursory searching for information on its subject because the friend referred to in the first post happens to be getting married this year. (Same occasion that moved me to order a Homburg) I’m quite struck to realize that I posted this seven years, three computers and four addresses ago. (Yet, I also remember having posted it; my memory has most idiosyncratic priorities)

I’d seen that video before too. It’s neat to see snippets of how the work is done, although it dates back almost as far (2010) as the start of this thread.

I found an e-mail address for John McMicking (mcmicking@canada.com) here, but the message I sent to it recently was bounced back to me as undeliverable. I don’t know if that’s just because e-mail address tend to be impermanent or because L&H Hats is for whatever cause no longer a going concern. I might try sending a letter. (I very much prefer to avoid telephone calls when I can; I find them awkward and nerve-wracking)

By far the finest historical hats I own are View attachment 24444 made by Mr. McMicking.

Those are quite handsome. That felt looks to have an interesting finish to it. (Tricornes, incidentally, were my ‘first love’ in hats, as it were)

If you ever happen by again, and who knows what might happen, I’d like very much to know more about your experience and contact with Mr. McMicking.

Thanks for the patient courtesy, regardless of anything else.

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
I found an e-mail address for John McMicking (mcmicking@canada.com) here, but the message I sent to it recently was bounced back to me as undeliverable. I don’t know if that’s just because e-mail address tend to be impermanent or because L&H Hats is for whatever cause no longer a going concern. I might try sending a letter. (I very much prefer to avoid telephone calls when I can; I find them awkward and nerve-wracking)

FYI the canada.com domain went dark several years back ergo the email address which you located is an oldie & doesn't really indicate whether McMicking is still around, if you find him let us know ... regards from the Great White North

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Several Google results:
John McMicking
Hatter & Cap Maker
L&H HATS
179 Melville Street
Dundas, Ontario
L9H 2A9
Phone: (905) 627-7492

No idea whether this is current, but it is what was on-line...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk