Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An introduction and request for advise

Esov

New in Town
After lurking for a few weeks I've decided to post a photo and request some advise. My interest in hats started about a year ago when I acquired a Tilley TM10 for wearing outside when sunny or rainy. I still have the hat and I'm pleased with its utilitarian nature. My second hat is an inexpensive wool felt fedora made by the NY Hat Co. I bought this one because I liked the look: much more dignified and less casual than my Tilley. However, I was not entirely satisfied with its look. I then decided to learn about hats and a Google search pointed me to this fine site.

After looking around I realized that what bothered me most about the hat was the upturned brim in the front, which has since been taken care of following instructions posted in other threads. I also thought that I'd like a smaller brim, so I ordered an Akubra Hampton from Hats Direct. The Hampton is a very nice hat and it feels much better than the wool hat, but I'm still undecided about brim size and have been considering an Akubra Bogart. Thus my request for advise. Please let me know if you think a wider brim would suit me better. In the spirit of a recent thread, please be honest, I can take it and will appreciate it.

Some information you may find useful: my hat size is 23 3/4 inches (60 cm), my head is long oval, I'd like a black hat, and I'm usually wearing jeans with a T-shirt or a polo, although I wear a suit every once in a while (maybe 6-10 times a year).

Apologies for the lengthy post and thanks for any advise.

Akubra Hampton
DSCF0353b.jpg

NY Hat Co. Fedora
DSCF0357b.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, Esov! Those hats work fine on you, but I'd say to try a slightly taller, less tapered crown, which would probably also necessitate a bit wider brim. Hard to know what'll suit you best until you play around with some different styles. Speaking of which, you might try a porkpie sometime; your face shape seems right for one.

Best of luck!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dittos to Randooch's advice! I think you'd do a porkpie proud, like Bolthead. I would definitely try a few different styles and and colors, some greys and neutrals, higher squarer crowns, some wider brims; I think a Campdraft is in your future.

dean

carter

I'll Lock Up
I agree with randooch and deanglen. I think you'd look good in a porkpie but also in a taller crown with little taper and a wider (2 1/2 or 2 5/8") brim.

Your head shape seems to be similar to Wil Tam's. He started with stingy brims and has gigrated to taller crowns and wider brims. You might want to take a look at some of his recent posts.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
My initial reaction was that both pictures looked like the same hat. After several minutes of comparison, I discovered that the first (Akubra) sits higher on your head and has a shorter brim. Given your size and your facial structure, the wider brim and slightly more generous crown of the second hat (N.Y. Hat Co.) is more complimentary to your features. Thus I'd have to say the second hat looks better on you, even if the first has superior felt and is the brand that is so highly respected, here.

You might like to try brim widths in the 2 3/8" to 2 7/8" range. I'm guessing you'll be pleased. :)

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Yup... what Carter said...

Following the teachings from these hat gurus & experimenting with different hats have made me an enlightened wide brim, untapered hat wearer, who wears a stingy on seldom occasions now. You should not make a commitment on investing over $50 for a hat until you find your inner style, you & I have very similar complexion & facial features so don't just stick to the color black, you want to bring out the look & IMHO a black hat on top of black hair disappears and looks like a blob on your head, my head also, it's hard to wear black, try some colors like grays, tans & browns & depending on the style of hat a matching or contrasting ribbon treatment will make the color on the hat pop out.

Shop around on eBay for vintage fedoras, sticking to felt while avoiding the wool offerings. You can save some cash & get a gem of a hat that you will love to wear.

IMG_0202.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg
IMG_0073.jpg

before
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0540.jpg

after

----------------
Now playing: Beatles, the - 16 - The End
via FoxyTunes

Esov

New in Town
Thanks for the recommendations

Feraud: The Hampton's brim is 48 mm wide (around 1 7/8").

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me some advise. The brim on the N.Y. Hat Co. is 2 1/2". From most of the recommendations it seems that a hat whose crown has less taper may work better, and I might give the Campdraft suggested by deanglen a try. Since several of you suggested a porkpie, I was looking at HD and noticed that the Akubra Rap has an even smaller brim than the Hampton, so I'm not sure about that one. Maybe I should try a different brand of porkpie with a larger brim?

Wil Tam: I agree with you and carter that our faces have similar features. I really like the hat you're wearing in the bottom right photo. It will be appreciated if you could provide more information about that.

Thanks again for your input.

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
I would say yes to a wider brim for you. A hat should be proportional to the head it's on, and (in my opinion) if the brim on a fedora is too small, it makes the guy's head look big.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The two hats I would recomend are the Campdraft (now in grey from HD) and the Federation. Both come open crown so you can give them a pork pie bash if you like or just play around with it till you find your own style. Photo's can be found all over the lounge showing off the different colours and styles you can bash them in.

Welcome to the Lounge.

Johnny

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Esov said:
Wil Tam: I agree with you and carter that our faces have similar features. I really like the hat you're wearing in the bottom right photo. It will be appreciated if you could provide more information about that.

Thanks again for your input.

oh that's the controversial Stetson Sovereign I traded a NOS Resistol 990 Jet for [top middle pic] I don't miss it and I love and wear my Stetson every day, it ended up being my go to hat ;)

the guy I traded with sold the 990 a week afterward :eusa_doh: [huh]

----------------
Now playing: Foo Fighters - Walking After You
via FoxyTunes

carldelo

One Too Many
Also

The Camp Draft is a pretty big jump up in size from what you have, especially if you're not tall. I'd suggest looking at the Akubra Stylemaster as a more moderate brim and crown size for your next lid. Ditto what Wil says about black - a Stylemaster in mid-gray might be just the ticket - dark enough, but not funereal. There's some nice pics of it posted by xigxag on this thread:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=38671&page=2

Good luck, you'll be hooked in no time (I'm waiting for an Acorn Fawn Stylemaster from everythingaustralian.com.au at the moment - but your size should be in stock and ready to ship).

Esov

New in Town
I was looking at the Campdraft, but since I never wear brown, my best option would be Glen Grey. Since the Federation has also been recommended and it has little or no taper, I'm thinking that maybe I could try one in Moonstone or even Carbon Grey. How do the Glen Gray and Moonstone compare?

Wil Tam: Thanks for the info on the Stetson Sovereign.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Esov

New in Town
carldelo said:
The Camp Draft is a pretty big jump up in size from what you have, especially if you're not tall. I'd suggest looking at the Akubra Stylemaster as a more moderate brim and crown size for your next lid. Ditto what Wil says about black - a Stylemaster in mid-gray might be just the ticket - dark enough, but not funereal. There's some nice pics of it posted by xigxag on this thread:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=38671&page=2

Good luck, you'll be hooked in no time (I'm waiting for an Acorn Fawn Stylemaster from everythingaustralian.com.au at the moment - but your size should be in stock and ready to ship).

I like your suggestion. I looked at the photos of the Stylemaster and it seems to have significantly less taper than the Hampton I currently have and the brim is certainly wider, but not as wide as the Campdraft's. BTW, I'm 5'8".

carldelo

One Too Many
Esov said:
I like your suggestion. I looked at the photos of the Stylemaster and it seems to have significantly less taper than the Hampton I currently have and the brim is certainly wider, but not as wide as the Campdraft's. BTW, I'm 5'8".

I'm a half inch taller - when I try tall crown / wide brim hats I look a little kid wearing his dad's hat. This is partly due to my height, but also I have a big head (size 62) and don't want to emphasize it too much. A little taper seems to help me also. Currently, my 3 main hats have brims of 2-1/4 and 2-3/8, so the 2-1/2 of the Stylemaster seems like a good next step. I have a poly straw with a 2-3/4+ brim - it looks kinda goofy, but it's my kayaking hat so needs to be functional more than stylish.

BTW, Sovereign is not a hat style, it's a grade of felt one step above Royal - Wil's hat looks like a Stetson Temple to me, but I could be wrong. EDIT - Check that, just reread Wil's post, it's a vintage lid with a 2-1/2 brim.

Esov

New in Town
carldelo: After looking around for more information on the Stylemaster, I decided to follow your advise and just ordered one in Steel Grey from HD. It does seem to be an intermediate next step.

Thanks to everyone who replied for all the recommendations. I'll post photos again wearing the Stylemaster to see what you think.

Goose.

Practically Family
Esov said:
... I also thought that I'd like a smaller brim, so I ordered an Akubra Hampton from Hats Direct. The Hampton is a very nice hat and it feels much better than the wool hat, but I'm still undecided about brim size and have been considering an Akubra Bogart. Thus my request for advise. Please let me know if you think a wider brim would suit me better. ...
Some information you may find useful: my hat size is 23 3/4 inches (60 cm), my head is long oval, I'd like a black hat, and I'm usually wearing jeans with a T-shirt or a polo, although I wear a suit every once in a while (maybe 6-10 times a year).
Akubra Hampton
DSCF0353b.jpg

]
486204540_NY3nA-S-1.jpg

Esov...
Dang! You look like my brother! Seriously. But he doesn't wear hats.

I'm in the same boat. Wrote HD the other day that I wanted a Bogart but was concerned about my noggin/face shape with a shorter brim.

Prior to that e-mail I ordered a Hampton (pic w/ my whack shirt). That pic was the only time I wore it. I am considering to wear it around brim up though...as it seems to work better for me. But not likely as I was looking for a hat to wear with a suit...up curl doesn't cut it for that. I need ("want") a hat I too can wear with a suit or for picture day.

Wil Tam nailed it well: You should not make a commitment on investing over $50 for a hat until you find your inner style...
While it may seem that I am not taking that advice, I am. I'm ok with my Hampton brim up, but I am fortunate enough to have other options. If it waqs my only hat, I'd be wearing it.

Anyway, below is the reply I received from Ron at Hats Direct. I am not posting his picture as that is not my place. But I thought you might find some value in his reply to my question about shorter brims.

FYI, I also wear a 60 and I ended up ordering the Homburg...

---
Hi Goose,

Ron here - had a quick read of your e-mails and a look at the photos.

I have a similar face shape to you and I wear my short brims with the brim turned up all the way around - takes a bit of getting used to but I find it works. I find turned down I need the larger brims.

Re the other styles you refer to anything with a 64 mm brim or larger should work. I would lean to the Bogart on face shape but there is not much in it.

I think the Homburg may work as the brim is turned up. I have attached a pic of me in one, a good 5 years ago now! I have not shaped the crown (in this pic) at all which I normally would have a simple Fedora bash.

Hope this helps

Best regards,
Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats