Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Observation in The Observation Bar

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very interesting discussion. I’d say my earliest memories, from the early 1960s, are black and white. But color seeps in by the end of the 60s. Although I remember being at my grandparents house to watch the moon landing as being in black and white (as was the TV event), I also vividly remember the colors of my brother’s uniform when he left for Vietnam.

...The first 6 years of my life we lived in Cuxhaven at the Coast. I was always convinced that the bright sunshine, all reflections of sunlight by water, sky and white sand of the beach and the smell of the ocean were printed so deeply into my brain's concept of how the world must look and smell like, that in my later years, after we had moved to the deep forested back country, I never really felt overly happy. I still live surrounded by forests. These forests absorb a lot of light and you rarely have to use sunglasses here even on bright sunny days. On every first day when I visit the coast, it is like if my mind is liberated from all the gloominess and my spirits wake up. It's the smell, the light even on cloudy days, and the distance of the horizon that lifts me up. I can't get a better medicine when I feel somewhat depressed...
I sincerely understand this. I've lived in southern California my whole life so far (60 years), but never near any of the "local" beaches; they're at least a 30-45 minute drive if I don't encounter any severe traffic. But, for reasons that would take too long to explain, I spent a lot of time by the ocean when I was much younger. So I love the ocean--the sights, the smells, the energy it creates--and I've found that if I'm away from it too long, or if I get too far away from it, I just don't feel quite right. Something to do with the energy I mentioned previously, I think; I don't know how else to explain it. My wife and I (and some family and friends) took a cruise in the Caribbean back in the mid-1990s, and another cruise off the coast of Alaska in 2011 with her sister and her husband to celebrate our 30th anniversary. On both cruises, when the ship was "out to sea" I've never felt more relaxed and/or more at home in my life, no matter where I was. So, yeah, best medicine there is for me.

CatsCan

Practically Family
Very interesting discussion. I’d say my earliest memories, from the early 1960s, are black and white. But color seeps in by the end of the 60s. Although I remember being at my grandparents house to watch the moon landing as being in black and white (as was the TV event), I also vividly remember the colors of my brother’s uniform when he left for Vietnam.

It seems that many share the same impression as b/w memories from earlier than the later sixties and color appearing by the end of the sixties. And we have TV playing in. So MAYBE we are influenced by both, TV and the real world around us when we are very young kids. Since TV has a subtle but consistent impact on young children's perception, I can only guess that it played in when the program was in black and white but certain very close experiences in key situations (houses, people's clothes) brought colors to our attention. Also mood can play a role in what we remember. Gray weather days when we were not so happy, sunny days on the beach when we were very happy. I was about 6 or seven when we took to Vienna and spent a day at the famous Prater. My memory is black and white here, but I remember that this was not a very happy time in my life, since I was explained, that I was adopted. I can't recall how the weather was, but I suspect it was rainy and grey.

In my memory "all" winters were snowy and white and we could use our sleds. Looking in the weather archives the reality is different. Only two or three winters were with snow and the sled during my whole childhood.

I am curious what psychologists would tell us. Maybe we only store a spotty image of details when we are very young but are unable to save a general picture to our "hard disk".

So still, I believe in some bias.

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
I've lived in southern California my whole life so far (60 years), but never near any of the "local" beaches; they're at least a 30-45 minute drive if I don't encounter any severe traffic.

Even in the European scale I consider this very near! Luck you! I have to drive about two hours to get to the north western shore (North Sea, Part of Atlantic). Three hours to the Baltic Sea coast of Germany but to me it always has to be the Atlantic coast. Seven hours to my favorite coastal place in Denmark. To live only 45 minutes from a Californian beach must be fantastic! I'd be there every single day after work :)

Tiki Tom

I thought Living in Vienna, Austria, was pretty close to heaven. My only gripe was that it was in a land-locked country. I wonder what it is about living near the ocean that makes it so compelling. Does the ocean’s shear vastness nudge us towards spiritual thinking? Is it that the ocean reminds us that, theoretically, we can sail to very distant lands? Is there some link to our heredity? Is it just the beauty and wildness of it? I’ve always thought it interesting that such a high percentage of the human family live on or near the coast.

Even in the European scale I consider this very near! Luck you! I have to drive about two hours to get to the north western shore (North Sea, Part of Atlantic). Three hours to the Baltic Sea coast of Germany but to me it always has to be the Atlantic coast. Seven hours to my favorite coastal place in Denmark. To live only 45 minutes from a Californian beach must be fantastic! I'd be there every single day after work :)
I suppose it's a matter of perspective...well, that and being married and having to take my wife's plans for any given day into consideration. If I were single and had more time on my hands I'd probably spend more time by the ocean. On the other hand, 30 to 45 minutes in southern California traffic can be mind numbingly soul crushing because most of the people here have no business being in control of a motorized vehicle. Assuming I survived the drive to the beach I'd feel invigorated by the time I left for home. After making that drive, however...let's just say that by the time I reached my own driveway I'd have to turn around and head right back to the beach. ;)

...I wonder what it is about living near the ocean that makes it so compelling. Does the ocean’s shear vastness nudge us towards spiritual thinking? Is it that the ocean reminds us that, theoretically, we can sail to very distant lands? Is there some link to our heredity? Is it just the beauty and wildness of it?...
Yes. :D

Turnip

Similar here and daily routine has usually been more important than laying on the beach/hopping the ditch, no matter what weather.

Fifty150

One Too Many
To live only 45 minutes from a Californian beach must be fantastic!

I take it for granted. I'm surrounded on 3 sides by water. The Pacific Ocean is the Western border of The City. We have a beach, a cliff overlooking it, and something under the jurisdiction of The US Park Police. Whenever friends visit, they are always surprised that within 7X7 square miles in The City, we also have lakes, wildlife, and both fresh water and salt water fishing.

Where I live, I have access to The Pacific Ocean, The San Francisco Bay, and several lakes within a few minutes drive. I'm consumed by the activity of daily living. I don't make the time to sit at the beach, staring at the sunset. It has been years since I have felt the sand between my toes.

CatsCan

Practically Family
I don't make the time to sit at the beach, staring at the sunset. It has been years since I have felt the sand between my toes.

I guess we all could do more for our recreation. How time consuming sleep and work is! It's two thirds of our life. We have to be a lot more spontaneous. Sometimes I think "oh no, what pants or jacket to put over, oh, what to pack for a weekend off out in the wild" and end up in front of the TV or just hang around in the garden. There are plenty of very beautiful German Baltic Coast spots where I could be in just under three and a half hours. And we have a Mini Camper where we can sleep and cook in... But how often do we use it? I know many who said "once I am retired, I will....". But then came some serious illness and an all too early death. What are we waiting for?

Turnip

I just work cause I’m young and need the money, like any prostitute, just donkeywork, no love.
And doing so I fear I have to recreate for six paid weeks a year, additionally to weekends and bank holidays.

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
If you love your work

That's the biggest trap.. I loved my work VERY much. Didn't realize that it was eating me up. What you love can hurt you most. Sometimes I was deliberately working until late at night. Sometimes I didn't even stop on weekends. Burned out. I love my life, my wife, friends and nature. Now my job has changed since my work habit has changed. I still enjoy working. But I have put my job in a cage. I lock the cage when it's five or Friday afternoon and don't open it - don't even look at it - until Monday when it's eight. Seriously doing much better now.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I've never lived more than half a mile from the ocean. I don't have any spiritual connection to the sea -- I can't even swim. But the smell of low tide, to me, is the smell of home.
The smell of low tide near here, where it's very popular with day trippers and weekenders, is the smell of flotsam and discarded rubbish, creating a litter eyesore.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I just work cause I’m young and need the money, like any prostitute, just donkeywork, no love.

I know prostitutes in real life. They are in it for the money. Selling their services. Sex is bartered off to get what they want.

I have no moral judgment on what they do. As I have myself, traded my service to commit an unspeakable act, for money. It's all a matter of how you look at it. How many of us have been employed, or even volunteered, within a profession which involves a firearm? Military. Police. You offer for trade, the willingness to use that firearm. You are willing to shoot another human being, for the right price. Has anyone engaged in a ring sport? Willing to physically beat another human, whom you have no quarrel with, for a prize purse. So for the value of $X, I was willing to shoot somebody or repeatedly punch him in the head. A total stranger I had never met before. Without emotion or feeling attached. Does that make me any more or less of a person?

How do I make the choice that I am willing to go halfway around the world, and shoot someone for my country and president? Imagine that. Exercise your memory. Was Jimmy Carter the president you were willing to shoot somebody for?

green papaya

One Too Many
my early childhood memories are faded color , the tv was in b&w , the smells of the old wood houses was different, I dont smell that anymore, most buildings are made of modern materials now and dont smell the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff